ShnouzedUp is offline Banned

Deadlift Bars? Which do you Use?

Hey guys, i was just wondering what bar you all use for your deadlifts... Do you use just the standard straight bar? Or the actual deadlift/shrug bar... ya know the kind ya stand in the middle of... then squat down to grab 2 handles on both sides of you this way ~~> | | I've switched to this new bar and i seem to have alot better form with my deads with it, just curious if it really matters what bar you use for them.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I use the standard straight bar... my gym doesn't have anything vaguely 'advanced'.Just loads of weight... and Lots of standard bars

you know what kinda bar im talking about???? you think its cool if i use this bar from now on?
    looks like this, you stand in the middle of it... <l l>...cept the <> are enclosed like that, and you put the plates on both sides... i just don't wanna ruin my deads, doing them with a wrong bar

Rob
    Rob is offline Canadian Legend
    i never tried the bar your talking about, but i know which bar your reffering to.

that bar looks akward to me, i dont think i could lift as much as I do with the straight bar to be honest.

I prefer the traditional straight bar

maybe you should try it once.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by ShnouzedUp
    Hey guys, i was just wondering what bar you all use for your deadlifts... Do you use just the standard straight bar? Or the actual deadlift/shrug bar... ya know the kind ya stand in the middle of... then squat down to grab 2 handles on both sides of you this way ~~> | | I've switched to this new bar and i seem to have alot better form with my deads with it, just curious if it really matters what bar you use for them.
    It does matter. The trap bar deadlift allows you to keep a more upright torso. This makes the exercise more similar to squatting. With a conventional barbell, the torso is more forward and forces more recruitment from the glutes and hamstrings. The trap bar is more quad dominant than the conventional bar.

speedtraining is offline Senior Member
    i like the dimond bar i think its more safe as well.

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    i use the standard straight bar

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Think about it guys. The trap bar is like doing squats with dumbbells held at your sides (in a neutral grip). The trap bar deadlift and the conventional deadlift are different exercises.

ok ok no more trap bar for me then however, when i have done deads this way, i must say i never really used my quads at all, just kept a bend in my knees and lifted with my back.... i liked that diamond bar.... i'll go back to the straight bar though.... sounds like thats best

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by ShnouzedUp
    ok ok no more trap bar for me then however, when i have done deads this way, i must say i never really used my quads at all, just kept a bend in my knees and lifted with my back.... i liked that diamond bar.... i'll go back to the straight bar though.... sounds like thats best
    It sounded like you were doing stiff-legged deadlifts. Am I correct in this statement.

I'm not saying that the trap bar is a bad, just that there is a difference in recruitment of the hip extensors and knee extensors.

no i wasn't doing stiffleg deads.. i was doin traditional deads..keepin a bend in my knees, and lifting all with my back.

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    I like the straight bar better, works my back better

the only thing i use a hex bar is for shrugs, very similar to DB shrugs, but i feel i have a lot more stability with the hex bar

dead lifts are always straight bar for me, i used to use the hex bar for deads, but once i switched to straight i saw much better gains

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    the "trap' bar was actually created for deadlifts

the man who created the bar because he had a bad injury to his back so this allowed him to deadlift without the strain

Thread Information