Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    David B. is offline Member
    Originally posted by Big_Dan
    \Asians - They pick rice and are light and have evolved for that. Yet other asians have to chase goats or what not in mongolian plains, which is why some of them are big, and some are not.

Humans have only been cultivating grains for the past 8000 years or so. That's not nearly enough time for Evolution to have had the effects you describe.

--dnb

celly510 is offline Junior Member
    i think some of this might be because of diet and modern medicine. 100 years ago people over 6 feet tall was about 1 in a thousand. now its very common. people of asian decent that grow up in a third world country are smaller because of disadvantages in there up bringing. now its funny because it takes about 2 to 3 generations of upbringing in a healthy enviroment to reach size levels that we americans consider normal. so there you have it in a nutshell.

Imnotdutch is offline Junior Member
    Big Dan,

The logic in your original post is faulty IMO. You say africans (and some 'asians') chase and kill prey and therefore require large size.

1) Having to chase prey would favour a smaller size......a larger size woudl use far more valuable energy during the chase.
    2) All Homo species made use of weapons and tools. However, you assume that africans would use nothing other than their hands in obtaining a kill.
    3) In a highly competitive food web, large size could be argued to be selected against as a large body would require more energy to maintain.

You also argue that 'asians' have evolved to be small in order to pick rice. However, you do not recognise that the diet of these small 'asians' is typically lacking in protein. In recent years it has become apparent that asians with small descendents will grow to a much larger size when fed on a western diet (high in protein and calories). In this I agree with Celly510 . So there is no genetic basis for this smaller size.......as most people beleive that evolution ultimately comes down to individuals DNA, the small 'asians' did not evolve to be small.

David B.

Microevolution (evolution within a species) can actually occur within a small number of generations. Examples of this are the change in colouration of peppered moths during the industrial revolution int he UK; rats becoming immune to poison; rabbits imune to myximatosis. However, there must be some feature that is heavily selected against. I fail to see how 'smal size for picking rice' would be heavily selected against.

Sorry about the long post!! Evolution is one of those topics that intersts me.....and it is also one of the most misunderstood areas of science.

\Perhaps it has to do with evolution.
    African americans = have to chase the herd and kill cattle in the hot african plains . They have black skin to protect from sun, big bodies to kill the prey.

Asians - They pick rice and are light and have evolved for that. Yet other asians have to chase goats or what not in mongolian plains, which is why some of them are big, and some are not.

Anyone agree?

BLOOD is offline Associate Member
    I'd have to agree with WITHIMNOTDUTCH, asians being small is the stereo typical view.... although alot of them are small, not all of them are. More of a generalization per say.

i just recently took college anthropology last semester and the class focused on human biology. so this isnt just stuff i pulled out of the air.

Imnotdutch is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by celly510
    i just recently took college anthropology last semester and the class focused on human biology. so this isnt just stuff i pulled out of the air.
    I didn't see anybody disagreeing with you......your points were well made. Just out of interest, why do you think it would take 2-3 generations for the asians to reach the 'normal' size for an american?

Your post indicated that the small asians are not at a genetic disadvantage, so when they are placed in a more favourable environment the full size phenotype should be reached within the first generation. Maybe it indicates that the asian family would take several generations to adopt all of the factors that would favour larger size?

pinoy is offline New Member
    I'm half philipino and europe... and I'm 5'11" much taller then my parents and relatives... why is that? Is it because of the food I get?

Originally posted by pinoy
    I'm half philipino and europe... and I'm 5'11" much taller then my parents and relatives... why is that? Is it because of the food I get?
    food, vitamins, inoculations, not much sick time as a kid. alot of factors. your children will probaly be even taller than you.

bigteez66 is offline Junior Member

the race comment

Ok, just have to ask, is it true that black people have an extra muscle in their leg? Wait that is totally stupid question but I just had to ask it. Also that like saying that bulldogs don't have short strong legs and necks. Aren't we races like dogs are breeds? Ok maybe not? Just a thought to throw into the air Thanks Jake T.

I have heard that height is based totally on genetics... only 1-2cm is determed by food and other factors :E

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Height *is* based on your genes, period.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Originally posted by jake the snake

Yeah but Samoans are classed as a black race.
    By whom?

Samoans are classified as Polynesian Pacific Islanders.
    Last edited by Carlos_E; 10-23-2002 at 11:26 AM.

\Perhaps it has to do with evolution.
    African americans = have to chase the herd and kill cattle in the hot african plains . They have black skin to protect from sun, big bodies to kill the prey.

Asians - They pick rice and are light and have evolved for that. Yet other asians have to chase goats or what not in mongolian plains, which is why some of them are big, and some are not.

Anyone agree?
    Bullshit!

Re: the race comment

Originally posted by bigteez66
    Ok, just have to ask, is it true that black people have an extra muscle in their leg? Wait that is totally stupid question but I just had to ask it. Also that like saying that bulldogs don't have short strong legs and necks. Aren't we races like dogs are breeds? Ok maybe not? Just a thought to throw into the air Thanks Jake T.

bigteez66, I suggest you walk up too someone black and ask them that question and see what response you get. After you regain consciousness I hope you remember the response.

bigteez66 is offline Junior Member

honestly

Ok I have allways thought of this, maybe most black people are dark skinned because of being in the sun. I almost believe that is true. Most black people are also more cut than many others. They normally have better genetics. Is this becuase of all of the hard labor in the past? Kinda like a Boxer(dog) they are always cut and athletic. Anyhow there is some more to think about. Thanks

the races are somewhat different but the differences arent as drastic as different breeds. maybe blacks are more inclided to athleticism because of slavery. its hard to say. and no there is no extra muscle in the legs of blacks.

height is NOT based exlusively on genetics. if you get really really sick before or during puberty your growth can be stunted. if you dont get enough calcium growing up you will be shorter. in my class we went over all of these questions. it can take 2 to 3 generations for a person from a malnuritied background to get to average 1st world height. this is because a women that is 4'9 isnt likely to have a kid that is 6'6. each generation grows incresingly bigger because they come from a womb that is more able to develop the fetus.

Fooboy is offline Associate Member
    im genetically perfect in every way. it's true. my mommy told me so

Originally posted by Canes4Ever2

She lied
    LMAO!!!

lol :E

//aznpride

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    Based on what Canes4ever2 said, when you break it down humans are all the same species. So if there was evolution between races they would be considered a different species. What you see today between different races is a step before evolution, adaptation. But what difference does it make now, eventually the whole world will be polynesian or mix of everythng.

I believe that all ppl are not made equal. THere are just some things that some ppl can do and others no matter how hard they train will not be able to achieve and it goes down to the genetics. Some ppl are born with more muscle fibers than others. Ppl have different ratio's of type1 to type2 fibers. If your ratio favours type1 fibers, yo'll never be a competitive bodybuilder or a sprinter.

We're talking abotu thousands of years of adaption for humans of different terrain, it has only been recently that you can to a degree CHOOSE your lifestyle and not completely BORN into it. So yes you'll find the odd 7 foot asian but that's not the average asian won't be, no matter how well nourished and feed.

My friend who is Japanese told me that with every generation, Asians are getting taller. She said this is due to Asians adapting western diets. I also have a Thai friend who said the same thing.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    it would be interesting to see, i don't know if there has been any research done on this or not. but the average height of japanese ppl born here and the average height of japanese ppl in japan. I would suspect the western ppl are taller. However, how tall they will grow will have a limit.

Each race puts fourth human beings that are incredibly gifted by the standards of physique and athleticism. Although naturally gifted no human can be considered of truely "alpha" status unless they hone their natural physique and athletic skills to a razor's edge.
    I say, "those who start at the bottom of the pile and never stop fighting may very well kick everyone's ass all the way to the top"
    Viciouness and tencity wins!

decadbal is offline Banned
    i dont really think race is a huge issue, long as you eat big, and work out to get big, not many things can stand in your weigh, not ever genetics.

Re: honestly

Originally posted by bigteez66
    Most black people are also more cut than many others.
    I believe this is simply because of skin tone: the more tanned one is the more cut they appear.

Joey2ness is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jonah
    Actully in the gym I go to the asains make up probably the biggest guys in there with huge arms and legs. 5,4 and 19 inch arms... very impressive
    which gym you goto
    i live in vancouver too and i wanna know where they buy their gear
    raptors

barnardeep is offline New Member
    i don't know if you guys remember high school history but slaves in america were breed. out of a group of slaves they would take the ones that were most muscular or worked the best under the same conditions as everyone else and force them to procreate.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    This thread is 3 yrs old.. drop it.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey2ness
    which gym you goto
    i live in vancouver too and i wanna know where they buy their gear
    raptors

Thread is THREE YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!

~SC~

ManzNumero1 is offline Member
    Ever see KickBoxer .
    That Asian was one big dude.

TheGame826 is offline Member
    I think all races have their big guys and small guys. Just good genetic make up not so much race.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    azns dont have to be big.. they can fly and shoot fireballs "Hadooken!"

jax larue is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    I don't think you can generalize size by race. Isn't size based on how hard you work and your diet?
    and don't for get the amount of rest one gets so their body can rebuild too .dude.

jax larue is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad fuel
    it would be interesting to see, i don't know if there has been any research done on this or not. but the average height of japanese ppl born here and the average height of japanese ppl in japan. I would suspect the western ppl are taller. However, how tall they will grow will have a limit.
    heres 2 reasons why the japanese in Japan is shorter,
    1)when they eat they set around a small table with their feet and legs foled under them which rstricts blood flow and there for growth of the legs,2 )this one is a less of a reason now,they don't have as great a variety of foods as we in the west do.

MartyMcFly is offline Senior Member
    Why are you bumping a thread that is 4 yrs old. (I know the irony that I am bumping it also by asking why you did.)

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

Thread is THREE YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!

~SC~

Another year has passed,and it was bumped once again..........

chest6 is offline Banned
    seriously wtf is up w noobs bumping 3 year old threads lately

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    seriously wtf is up w noobs bumping 3 year old threads lately
    same reason as most of us, you get excited by the topic and forget to read the date it was posted. I dont understand how they find these threads anyway. Oh dear, maybe they have discovered the search button

well it has been documented that on average they produce the least amount of testosterone out of all the races, blacks being the first.

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    Bump for a new thread. LMAO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information