powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member

I have a question on cardio???

I know the best time to do cardio is in the mornign after you wake up. I do it this way too. But i know its supposed to be on a empty stomach so that you are burning fat while yoru glycogen (however you spell it) stores are low. But do you think its ok to have a small protein drink 8oz or so about 20min before you go. I mean i have done both and feel like wheni wake up i need protein!! I have been doing cardio , abs, calves Mon, Wed , Frid, in the mornings and without at least a protein drink i feel slow as hell, and rush to get it done so i can eat.

So what do ya'll think?? Is small amount of protein gonna slow down my fat burning at all??

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    No. Your body will convert the protein to glucose and this will raise insulin and stop the fat burning effect of first thing in the morning cardio. You're body doesn't want you to do this - so you have to push through. The human body was not made to be muscular and lean, so we make it adjust to our demands

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Not to mention you are putting blood in your stomach prior to cardio - which is also not a good idea. If you want it physcologically - pop a couple BCAA caps...

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    i take a couple charge the second i wake up, by the time i hit the gym at 5:30am i cannot wait to get at it.

i do cardio x5 and lift X5. i lift then cardio which really does wonders on my fat %.

i try to get everything in under 1 1/2 hours. Most of the time im outta there in one hour and READY for anything hehe

Then once i get home its a shake and high protien breakfast for me. I like to add somewhere around 20g worth of carbs on leg day since it takes so much outta me.

I was hoping it was ok to drink a small protein drink but i guess i will cut them out. Wanna make sure i am doing my cardio the most efficiant way. Thanks guys!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    hey power- I've been doing cardio first thing in the morning before I eat with great results and have'nt lost any strength yet. As long as you eat ASAP after your cardio session is done you should have no worries....like warrior said 20-30 minutes at about 60% rate. Good luck to ya.

Well i have been doing cardio for a while now. It was for fun on my mountain bike, but now i am trying to lean up. I have actually had good results myself, but now i will do it on an empty stomach. In fact i just got back from there!!!

I have some plans that not too many know about. Being a pro powerlifter, i am keeping it kinda low profile!! I will say this though, i am dieting and doing cardio!

Thread Information