Bobbo is offline Junior Member

Chest - From Barbell to Dumbbell Help

Hey there,

I have a question. I've been doing barbell presses, incline, flat, and decline. I've been reading that dumbbell presses help you build bigger chest. My chest is growing but, go ahead laugh, I'm now doing Barbell, 125 lb. Incline (3 sets / 6 reps). Flat, Barbell, 155 lb. (3 sets/ 7 reps). Decline, Barbell, 165 lb. (3 sets / 7 reps). I workout solo and do not want to take a chance to get hurt, I'm really pushing on the last rep. If I change to dumbbells, how much should I start with for Incline, Flat, and Decline? I divided each in half (ex. Flat, Dumbbell 77.5/77.5) but could not do as many or lower them without dropping them. Does anybody have any recommendations. If I lower the weight using dumbbells, will I loose chest size? If not, what should I lower weight to? How many sets/reps, how much weight on each dumbbell?

Thanx,

Bobbo
    Last edited by Bobbo; 02-13-2003 at 07:26 AM.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    How much you should start with depends. There is no set weight. Just try stuff out for the first round and see what you can handle.

Don't sweat not being able to do half the weight you can do on barbells. Not doing an exercise for a period of time tends to lead to "forgetfullness" - basically the motion feels weird, and you can't do as much weight as you thought.

RebelMan is offline Junior Member
    when you say you divide it in half do you mean using 75lbs. total weight, or are you using 75lbs. bumbbells with each arm? If you are using the 75lbs. dumbbells I wouldnt worry about not being able to do it b/c most of the people i know can not do half of thier weight like that. I know i damn sure cant throw 125lbs dumbbells up and do a workout with them. I usually work out with 70-80lbs.

If I were you I would start off with 40-50lbs. dumbbells and if those are still too heavy then just lighten up.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    I agree with the guys, just try it...put up your first set and guage from there. My bench is about 125 for 6 reps, but my six reps on dumbbells is only about 80 (40 each arm), so just see how it works for you. My incline and descline are slightly weaker and I've never used a barbell for those so, I wouldn't know the difference. Good luck, barbells seem to give me a better workout for sure.

kc

Thanx everybody.

Down South,

Yes, I did mean each dumbbell being 75 lbs. By doing 40 to 50 lb. dumbbells will I loose in my chest since I am doing 155 lbs barbell?

Thanx again,

Bobbo

houseofpain is offline Banned
    dude, use a weight that you can handle, if you go really heavy and your sets and form are shitty you are doing nothing to improve your strength or physical apperance. i personally would suggest doing a weight that you can control and pounding out atleast 8 reps for 3-4 sets, use a weight that you can get for only 8-10 reps and do three sets, and a spotter is pivital, just ask someone in the gym to spot you and help if they must, just get your 8-10 reps whether they be on your on or forced reps. then after the 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps, possibly try a weight that you can only get maby 3-4 reps and do a set or two, and then go to another exercise, remember a spotter is important for safety reasons as well as to help you force out those negative reps so you can get your swole on. in my opinion you will keep and even gain more chest size using dumbbells b/c you must use control/stabalizer muscles that you don't use on flat bench. if you do it right you will get big, also remember that it will not happen over night, hard work and determination always pays off. give it hell and stick with it. one more thing don't overlook incline bench b/c it is awesome for chest growth.

houseofpain said it all..

HouseofPain,

When doing presses, Incline, Flat, & Decline, do I keep the dumbbells in close to middle of chest, stright up shoulder width, out past shoulders, or alternate. If I alternate, how often and which ones do I alternate between?

If doing all 3, do I do one set close to middle, one set shoulder width, and one set out past shoulders?

Thanx again,

Bobbo

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    Agree with what was said. Just start off lower than you think you can handle, and work sets up from there till you find your appropriate level. If you're not used to dumbells, it might take a bit to work the weight up since you won't have stabilizers ready to handle higher weight yet. Makes you feel weak for a bit, but you get used to it quick

Thanx everybody!!

Houseof pain,

I went to the gym yesterday and used dumbbells. Man can I feel a difference! 1 more question.

When I was doing Decline Press, I could not reach both dumbbells on the floor and raise. The front of the bench is inclined higher than normal. I took 1 dumbbell at a time. I did left arm (10 reps) then right arm (10 reps) 3 sets, 50 lbs. Next I did L/R, 55 lbs 5 reps. Is it bad to do each arm seperatly? As I stated before I do not have a spotter so while doing decline I cannot get them off the floor if I try to place one in each hand.

Thanx,

Bobbo

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Bobbo. When I do dumbbell decline (which is never), I grab both the weights, sit on the edge of the bench, lock my legs in, then slide back and lay down. It's much easier than laying back all the way at first and trying to grab the weights off the ground like you are trying.

I agree with KeyMastur. And if you cant do what he said then get someone in the gym to help you out and hand them to you when you lay back. I sure someone will be willing to help.

Hey there,

Thanx for the tip. I'll try that next time. I can't believe I never thought of that.

Thanx allot,

Bobbo

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Bobbo- first off try what Key said, but also I've seen guys doing dumbell press with one arm at a time. I've never done it myself but I've seen it done. I couldn't tell ya how beneficial it is though.....

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    Yup, do what they said about how to get in incline For flat and incline, the easiest way i've found is to stand up, dumbells in hand positioned over your thighs, then just sit down. Kick the knees up and voila- lean back and get to work.

One handed? How can people do that, wouldn't you tip over? Mad balance work there!

Assassinator is offline Associate Member
    You can not take a 150 lb bench divide it in half and say you will be bale to use 75 lb dumbells.

Using 75 lbs dumbells. you should be able to do 200 lb for reps with barbell.

if you're benching 150, you should be able to rep 55 lb Dumbells.

houseofpain is offline Banned
    in regards to your previous question, i personally bring the dumbbells down to my shoulders, then i push them up and touch them together, you can touch the dumbbells so that your palms are facing each other for a better pump in the chest if desired. as far as doing one dumbbell at a time, this sounds a little weird to me, you would think that it would throw off your equilebrium, making you unbalanced, like the other guys said just sit the dumbbells on your thighs and then lay down bringing the dumbbells into place during the transition from sitting to laying in the exercise position, then simply go to work.

Thread Information