Thread: Weak Bench

Hard_Body is offline Junior Member

Weak Bench

Hello all , first post here. Just been really frustrated with my pressing strength its absolutely pathetic compared to my other lifts. Been lifting for just over 2 years and for a large amount of time in those 2 years i just avoided the bench press like an idiot, I don't know why. I was squatting and dead lifting like a monster week in week out but always avoided the bench so its been stuck at the same for about 2 years. I am a bodybuilder and do not train for strength but I feel very weak just going in the gym throwing a 45 and a 10 per side on the bench and struggling and another day going in there squatting 365 for reps. I'm not sure what the issue is here, weak rotator cuff, small wrists, weak lats, bad form, its just extremely frustrating to me. Its just pathetic, I've tried to get on strength programs for bench before but have just bailed on them. Need advice here seriously. I think with the numbers of my other lifts i should be benching at least 225 for reps. I don't even feel engaged in most of chest workouts cause the weight I'm lifting.

Body weight 185 height,5"11, Bench 1rm 185 max
    box squat 405x5 W/belt
    power Clean, just started doing again, `185x6
    rack pulls above knee easily 545x3 strapless, dead lift 405 for reps

brandon1411 is offline Associate Member
    Maybe try the hammer strength for a while, just intill you build confidence , I get frustrated bigtime when I do deadlifts, so I know your feeling

All the Hammer Strength in my gym are pin loaded and I am still very weak on those as well, cant even go past 70 on the incline

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    You can't just press high because the rest of your lifts are high. . You've got to build it up. You said you've avoided it, while you've hit the others consistently. . There's your answer.
    If you had been pressing the whole time, it would have progressed just like the others.

Part of your early frustration was likely because the bench progresses slowly compared to deads and squats. In power programs, it's usually double the progress for legs compared to chest. It makes sense because the muscles are so much larger.

Start it back up. Stay consistent. Don't lift with your ego, if you're body building who cares about the weight.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    Do push ups and body weight dips, this will bring up your bench.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A big part of a weak bench is weak triceps are you doing close grip benches, Paul dick's presses, incline or lying tricep extensions?
    Have you really stuck to a well thought out 5x5 routine? Try training with chains or bands so you explode when pressing the weight? If you want a big bench you need to train like a PL and break the exercise down and work on the weak links.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There could also be something dramatically wrong with your technique. Or as buster said a weak link in the bench eg. Triceps/chest/shoulders/rotator cuff.

I have horrible bench genetics, I have struggled all my lifting life with it. I work extra hard trying to bring it up, sometimes causing injury and having to start over. Make sure you find a grip spacing that is comfortable and allows you to feel the pec muscle and not the shoulder muscle. You also have to try and break the mental barrier that your subconscious has placed on you. If you put in the time and dedication, it will improve, it's up to you how bad you want it.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Hopefully Marcus will chime in he's been having the same issue as of late.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Most guys who aren't naturally blessed with the body leverage ( what it really boils down to) to have a big bench really need to analyze there sticking points. Once you start to see to break the exercise down then you can start to work on it. I am by NO means claiming that you will have a fantastic bench but you will definitely be able to improve. It was pointed out to me recently that on my 1 rep max I tend to bring the weight down a little tooooo slow almost like a negative which in turn robs me of power to explode off the chest. All these little things add up.

I have heard that strengthening the rotator cuffs can easily increase bench by at least 25 pounds for some people, so this may be the issue. Yes I have done weighted dips and they have not really done much for my bench, i think the only way to get my bench up is just to focus on it twice a week, low reps. It s just embarrassing that I have been using the same weight on the bench for over 2 years no progression. I am a bodybuilder and my chest has still grown significantly from other chest movements although I feel like if i got my bench up to 225 for reps my chest would look much better. I have always been more lower body dominate from hockey as well and years of squatting.

I have messed up rotator cuffs so I have been keeping my bench at 225 for reps, trying to get to 4 sets of 15, I'm at 10-12 now. I will try a few reps at heavier weight once in a while if someone I trust is around to spot, did 275 for 3 after my 4 sets at 225 last week. You just need to force yourself to go up in weight, even small increments will eventually add up.

Thread Information