talon is offline Senior Member

True or False...A question for the knowledgeable....

Ok fellas, I have a question, which is serious, but sounds funny. I have heard that some people have a genetic predisposition which keeps them from being able to have a six pack. Is this true? What Im saying is, are some people unable to obtain a six pack.
    At first I thought this was a falsity, but Im beginning to think its true (like friends I have for example, etc. etc.)

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Everyone can see there abs at a low bf%, BUT some people are born with asymmetric or missing rectus abdominus muscles. Some bodybuilders have 5 abs, and some like Arnold have only 4!

Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Everyone can see there abs at a low bf%, BUT some people are born with asymmetric or missing rectus abdominus muscles. Some bodybuilders have 5 abs, and some like Arnold have only 4!
    So, all people can obtain abdominals, just some have different genetics when it comes to the abdominal build?
    Hey MMC78, bro can you do me a favor and break down the different body types (endo, ecto, meso)? I cant remember from my Beg. Anat. classes 2 years ago.....

alpineslide is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by talon
    can you do me a favor and break down the different body types (endo, ecto, meso)? I cant remember from my Beg. Anat. classes 2 years ago.....
    Endo - Fat
    Ecto - Skinny
    Meso - Muscular

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Ectomorph, Mesomorph, Endomorph
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Different Training Needed for Different Body Types

It is important for you to stick to the basics until you get to know how your body responds to weight training. People do not respond the same exact way to training and what works for one type will not necessarily work for another. One method of categorizing body types recognizes three different physical types and it is called "somatotypes".

The ectomorph: short upper body, long arms and legs, long narrow feet and hands, and very little fat storage. This body type has a narrow chest and narrow shoulders and long, thin muscles.

The mesomorph: large chest, long torso, solid muscle structure and very strong.

The endomorph: short musculature, round face, short neck , wide hips, and heavy fat storage.

No one is totally one type but a combination of all three types. Any body type can be developed with the correct training and nutrition however people with different body types will need to approach their training with different objectives, even though they may all have the same goals.

Ectomorph Training
    The ectomorph's first objective is gaining weight and muscle mass.Strength and endurance will need to be developed and muscle mass develops very slowly. Stay with the basic exercises and include power moves that build maximum mass. Do an entire training workout, but take longer rest periods if you need to. Take in more calories than you are accustomed to and use weight-gaining and protein drinks to supplement your food intake. Try not to expend to many calories by keeping cardio to a minimum saving them for muscle building.

Mesomorph Training
    The mesomorph will find it easy to build muscle mass but will have to include a variety of exercises in their program so that the muscles develop proportionately and shapely rather than bulky. A combination of heavy power moves and a variety of shaping exercises and a more varied for better quality, proportion and symmetry of the physique. Long workouts and short rest time. The mesomorphic type responds well to training so super-long sessions are not needed. A balanced diet with a good amount of protein and maintain an even calorie level all time.

Endomorph Training
    The endomorph will not have much difficulty building muscle but will have to be concerned with losing fat weight and be careful not to gain the weight back. High-set, high-repetition training with short rest periods to burn off as much fat as possible. Additional aerobic exercise for calorie consumption. A low-calorie diet that contains the necessary nutritional balance with the minimum amount of protein, carbohydrates and fats. Make sure that you are getting the right amount of vitamins and mineral supplements the body needs.
    Last edited by KeyMastur; 09-11-2003 at 08:30 PM.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Nice post KeyMastur don,t think too many people understand how much that effects their training

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Talon..All of the information is true, but I wanted to add a little more that may help to further answer your question.

Men are genetically pre-disposed to carry a higher volume of fat in certain areas of the body. Flanks, lower abdomen, lower back, etc...Most men with a good diet and solid excercise regimine can reduce this level to the point of having the coveted "six pack"..But there are many that can't reach this level of fat reduction without extreme measures and even sometimes not at all..

The fat in these areas are programmed to be diet and excercise resistant because they are genetically programmed to play a much more vital role and that is protecting and insulating vital organs and providing the body with an emergency fuel source..Our ancestors were not concerned with having abs but rather surviving times when food sources were very scarce..Without sounding all Charles Darwin on this topic..Evolution plays a role in the battle for the abs..

Stop and think about times when you see a guy that you would consider "skinny" but he still has a small belly on him..This is because this fat is the last to go..This is not the case in every person becasue some are just very lean and never suffer this frustration..

Okay, now that I have rambled a bit..To answer your question..Yes, most men can achieve a decent level of abdominal muscularity that is visible..But others can diet and excercise until they drop dead and still not see the results they desire because of this programming..That is why we have the good old trip to the Doctor where we can get all of the fat sucked right out..Of course for a small fee..

Doc M

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    Ectomorph, Mesomorph, Endomorph
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Different Training Needed for Different Body Types

It is important for you to stick to the basics until you get to know how your body responds to weight training. People do not respond the same exact way to training and what works for one type will not necessarily work for another. One method of categorizing body types recognizes three different physical types and it is called "somatotypes".

The ectomorph: short upper body, long arms and legs, long narrow feet and hands, and very little fat storage. This body type has a narrow chest and narrow shoulders and long, thin muscles.

The mesomorph: large chest, long torso, solid muscle structure and very strong.

The endomorph: short musculature, round face, short neck , wide hips, and heavy fat storage.

No one is totally one type but a combination of all three types. Any body type can be developed with the correct training and nutrition however people with different body types will need to approach their training with different objectives, even though they may all have the same goals.

Ectomorph Training
    The ectomorph's first objective is gaining weight and muscle mass.Strength and endurance will need to be developed and muscle mass develops very slowly. Stay with the basic exercises and include power moves that build maximum mass. Do an entire training workout, but take longer rest periods if you need to. Take in more calories than you are accustomed to and use weight-gaining and protein drinks to supplement your food intake. Try not to expend to many calories by keeping cardio to a minimum saving them for muscle building.

Mesomorph Training
    The mesomorph will find it easy to build muscle mass but will have to include a variety of exercises in their program so that the muscles develop proportionately and shapely rather than bulky. A combination of heavy power moves and a variety of shaping exercises and a more varied for better quality, proportion and symmetry of the physique. Long workouts and short rest time. The mesomorphic type responds well to training so super-long sessions are not needed. A balanced diet with a good amount of protein and maintain an even calorie level all time.

Endomorph Training
    The endomorph will not have much difficulty building muscle but will have to be concerned with losing fat weight and be careful not to gain the weight back. High-set, high-repetition training with short rest periods to burn off as much fat as possible. Additional aerobic exercise for calorie consumption. A low-calorie diet that contains the necessary nutritional balance with the minimum amount of protein, carbohydrates and fats. Make sure that you are getting the right amount of vitamins and mineral supplements the body needs.
    Key Mastur, thanks as always. You see my anatomy class didnt break it down as far as each body types resistance to training. The class just covered the basics on each type. You clearly broke it down.....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc M
    Talon..All of the information is true, but I wanted to add a little more that may help to further answer your question.

Men are genetically pre-disposed to carry a higher volume of fat in certain areas of the body. Flanks, lower abdomen, lower back, etc...Most men with a good diet and solid excercise regimine can reduce this level to the point of having the coveted "six pack"..But there are many that can't reach this level of fat reduction without extreme measures and even sometimes not at all..

The fat in these areas are programmed to be diet and excercise resistant because they are genetically programmed to play a much more vital role and that is protecting and insulating vital organs and providing the body with an emergency fuel source..Our ancestors were not concerned with having abs but rather surviving times when food sources were very scarce..Without sounding all Charles Darwin on this topic..Evolution plays a role in the battle for the abs..

Stop and think about times when you see a guy that you would consider "skinny" but he still has a small belly on him..This is because this fat is the last to go..This is not the case in every person becasue some are just very lean and never suffer this frustration..

Okay, now that I have rambled a bit..To answer your question..Yes, most men can achieve a decent level of abdominal muscularity that is visible..But others can diet and excercise until they drop dead and still not see the results they desire because of this programming..That is why we have the good old trip to the Doctor where we can get all of the fat sucked right out..Of course for a small fee..

Doc M
    Alright Doc, admit it this was the big advertisement for your practice...LOL..j/k...I see what your saying though. A person with a layer of viseral fat over the abdominals would have invisible abs. Well, a person whom cant lose this fat completely will forever have like a four pack or nothing at all. Like one of my friends, well the one I mentioned earlier. Huge arms, extreme max. bench, but no matter what he does, abs wise, he can only develop the top two rectus abdominals.....Like you said adipose tissue is made to cushion, insulate, and protect organs. It (adipose tissue) has, through evolution, been given this priority. Thanks as always doc.....

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Doc left out one improtant component to the issue of the visceral tissue that directly affects the question being asked......

Your body is more than willing to create more fat cells in order to accomidate more energy storage, but once formed, your body does not like to get rid of it. You may be able to empty the fat cells with diet and excercise, but you're not going to normally be able to get rid of the cells themselves. So, if a person had a very large gut and they slim down, they still have all of the fat cells that they used to have, it's just that they're empty and are taking up less space. That's the main reason that people find it so easy to put weight back on after they have lost it, as aposed to how long it took for them to gain the weight in the first place.

Thread Information