Testify is offline Senior Member

Squatting with the Manta Ray?

Not really a workout question, but this is the best place for this question.

Have any of you guys used the Manta? I have had to take some time off from squatting because of a pinched nerve in my neck, and I think that it may be partially caused by the bar when squatting. If not, then it is certainly aggravated by it. Anyway, I am looking at ways to make squats more comfortable and less potentially dangerous for my neck. I usually wrap the bar with a towel, but that seems to not prevent the injury from recurring. By the way, I do not use excessively heavy weight, and my form is priority #1 when squatting. I know the potential dangers of these pitfalls.

For those of you who have used it, what do you think? Do you think it is a good solution to my problem? Is it a useful "prosthesis" or a waste of money? Thanks for the commentary bros.

T

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I don't know anything about the Manta Ray. Never heard of it personally. Maybe if you described it.

But any way, I've heard of people using the trap bar to do squats. You would stand in the middle of the bar, and hold the handles with your hands, then squat while standing in the middle. Doing that would keep the weight off of your spine, but your squat is limited by your grip, so you may want to use straps. FYI, I've never done this myself, but it seems like a possible solution for your problem.

Hope it helps.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    can you do front squats?... also make sure you use a squat pad if its on your back.. feels better.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Well I'm pretty curious............what is the Manta? Is it a technique or a tool? I have no idea what more you could do than to pad the heck out of the bar..............I keep the bar rolled pretty far down across my shoulders. I'm guessing maybe the lowest portion of my traps just to stay as far away from my neck as possible.

Maybe a special bar like a Buffalo bar might do the trick but those things cost a fortune.

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    I have used it its like a shoulder harnest for the bar didnt know it was called Manta Ray they have it for front squats I dont like it reall theres no difference from using that and the bar except the Manta Ray always leaves hickys on your neck heres a pic of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squatting with the Manta Ray?-th_mantaray.gif  

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    I have a manta ray, it's a good tool. I only use it once every 6 wks or so. Just as another ME squat exercise to add variety.

For your purpose though I think it's great that your looking to train around your injury while still using the most productive leg exercise (very smart) too many people are too quick to dismiss squats because of an injury when it may not be needed.

Learning to train smarter is what will grant you longevity in this game and still allow you to make gains.

xxxl83

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxl83
    I have a manta ray, it's a good tool. I only use it once every 6 wks or so. Just as another ME squat exercise to add variety.

For your purpose though I think it's great that your looking to train around your injury while still using the most productive leg exercise (very smart) too many people are too quick to dismiss squats because of an injury when it may not be needed.

Learning to train smarter is what will grant you longevity in this game and still allow you to make gains.

xxxl83
    I have one also,they help on heavy squats.And I agree totally with the above statement. DB

alpineslide is offline Junior Member
    I think you'd be better off learning how to squat with the bar resting farther down your back rather then on your shoulders near your neck. Another thing you might try is a Hoagland (Safety) squat bar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squatting with the Manta Ray?-homegym_1752_1384639.gif  

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Alpineslide,

Good idea.

Testify,

A safety squat bar may also be of some benefit.

It will also change the leverage on the squat so it may take some getting use to.

Try whatever you can then stick with what works best for you.

xxxl83

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Damn! This is the first I've ever heard of these things. If I start to have problems I'll be checking into these. Big thanks

You guys are great. Thanks for all the input.

For the ones who have used it, do you think that it effectively distributes the weight over a larger area? Or that it puts less weight directly on the neck area and more on the shoulders?

When I squat, I do usually put the bar on the trap/delt plane, so I don't really have the bar too high. Its just that I have an unfortunate injury that gets in the way of training with this exercise. I say that the pinched nerve is/was in my neck, but it is very low in the neck, kind of in the upper back area.

I want to check out the other device as well (thanks alpine), but am leaning to the manta if it is effective for my needs (I would prefer to not have to buy a new bar, for reasons of space and money).

And xxxl83, is there any other way to train legs?

T

rambo is offline The Lord God
    It does a pretty good job at evening out the distribution, but i find it personally impedes me if I use it over 400+, i just feel like i have more control with nothing between me and the bar. By all means try the manta ray,especially if you have a pinched nerve, they dont cost that much, and its all a matter of personal preference. I guess i was just raised on not using "pussy pads", and i get off on knowing that i could balance several obese mailman on my neck should the situation ever arise.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    i could balance several obese mailman on my neck should the situation ever arise.
    LOL

Thanks for the recommendation, rambo. I am leaning toward the Manta. As you said, it is not really a huge investment anyway. But I would still like to hear from the others who have used it. Do you guys feel the same about your Manta "pussy pads?"

T

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Testify
    LOL

Thanks for the recommendation, rambo. I am leaning toward the Manta. As you said, it is not really a huge investment anyway. But I would still like to hear from the others who have used it. Do you guys feel the same about your Manta "pussy pads?"

T
    I like it bro,think you will too.Good Luck DB

hybrid is offline Member
    I've used the manta ray for a couple of years. I like it quite a bit. I pretty much always use it when squatting up to about 365. It takes the pressure off my upper back and distributes the weight a lot better. I do wish our gym had a safety squat bar. That would be good to experiment with.

t-rex is offline Associate Member
    I tend to agree with rambo, I don't feel like I have control over the bar. Especially when I am squatting over 315lbs, the bar just doesn't feel stable. I can't concentrate on the squat, and I am actually trying to keep from hurting myself from the uncontrollable bar.

Thread Information