GETTINGHUGE is offline New Member

Help Needed With Widening My Back

Hi all,

I've been training hard for the best part of 8 months and have put on some decent size in all areas, besides my back. How do I go about widening my back?? Can you please tell me which exercises help in doing this.

Thanks,
    Adam

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Eschew pulldowns in favor of pull ups. I did pulldowns for years believing the biomechanics were so similar to pullups that any inherent superiority of one over the other had to be urban legend (yet i knew full well that nautilus presses, despite their being biomechanically similar to bench presses, were not at all the same). It was an ego thing for me. Pullups are hard and if you ignored them for a while and your other body parts got bigger, they're even harder. On top of that, it's never good to be one of the bigger guys in the gym yet attempt an exercise and barely get four reps that teens are pumping out for fifteen and even 50-somethings are doing a few.

Having sucked it up and added them (first with the nautilus weight assisted version and then by doing weighted negatives) I've seen a width develop that was NEVER there in the past.
    Last edited by BigGreen; 03-03-2004 at 11:39 PM.

takedownII is offline Member
    work on your lats bud. lat pull downs, wide grip pull ups, and seated rows are all good. if you want to get big do a ton of weight and lower your reps (if you didn't already know). my reps look like this: 12-10-8-6. on my sixth set i'm doing the whole stack and i almost get a hernia, but i garuntee you'll be noticing something if you try this. good luck adam!

shootdeep is offline Member
    chins pack on the width like no other! you gotta do them strict. seated rows, dumbell rows and close-grip pulldowns will add the thickness to round out the package

shootdeep is offline Member
    i did this for 12 weeks and my back looked ridiculous:

all sets after warm-up

deads:4x10,8,6,failure
    barbell shrugs:4x8,8,8,8
    chins:4x10
    lat pulldowns:3x10
    seated rows:3x10(close-grip), 3x10(wide-grip)
    dumbell rows:3x10,10,8
    hypers:4x10

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Wide grip chins for width, no question, as well as close grip pulldowns, and close grip cable rows. As far as width I use DB rows BB rows and dead lifts. But IMO wode grip chins are the best for building width.

I say try DoggCrap's workout routine. My back is getting fully worked-out, as well as my legs (Which were weak spots before)

GETTINGHUGE is offline New Member
    THanks for all your quick responses. What are hypers??? I've never heard of them before.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Hyper-extensions? Their for strengthening the lower back. I like t-bar rows for my back.

Spoon

allsaucedup is offline Member
    wide grip pull ups, wide grip lat pull downs, bent over dumbell rows real heavy i usually work out with a 115lbs db's 6-8 reps 5 sets use wrist raps. tbar rows, sumo deadlifts.

LM1332 Guest
    this is messed up man i cant do worse **** with pull ups but i gotta start doing that **** as soon as possible but while you are at it try T Bar works wonders

Thread Information