Thread: Injury

Core is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Injury

I injured my shoulder/biceps at the gym. The pain is sort of right between the chest and the shoulder and goes to the middle of the biceps. I was working through the pain for a few weeks but it just got worse so I took off a few weeks. It pretty much kills when on the bench and curls affect it but not as much.

Right now it feels much better and I just did a real light bench and I could only barely feel the pain. I've been taking MSM for a few weeks now.

I wanted to know if anyone else had this injury, what do they do, and if they took anything that helped.

Thanks for any info guys

I've been working out for 12 years and this is the first time. I think I hurt it after a real heavy workout, then hitting the heavy bag for 20.

Its more of a shooting pain. I Iced it after the gym and applied heat at night for a week but it got worse, thats when I layed off for 2 weeks. I went back and it felt almost there so I decided to take off another week but its killing me not being in the gym.

Manslaughter is offline Junior Member
    Sounds similar to what happened to me a few months back. It took about 3-4 weeks to feel 100%. I got it from heavy DB inclines. More than likey a micro-tear (sprain) in the muscle.

I changed my routine around for a couple of weeks to make sure the muscle was being hit after it was really warmed-up and lightened the weights a little on the exercises that effected it most.

Like Deisel said, if It's not better in another week or so, see a Doc, especially if it starts getting worse.

jetskidude is offline New Member

pain right between the chest and the shoulder and goes to the middle of the biceps

by any chance were you working your chest when this happened?

open your anatomy book. you'll see that the pectoralis actually attaches to the top of the humerus (around the area you describe). i wonder if you injured your pec at it's attachment site on the humerus...

Jetskidude, I cant for sure what I was doing when it got injured cause I didnt realize it until the pain started getting worse and worse. But I think it was from a combo of a heavy bench, heavy bis and a heavy workout on the heavy bag. Right hooks seem to strain it. Monday I'm back in the gym but I'm going to go very light for the first week and see how it goes. I'm praying its okay, I would hate to take all this time off from the gym for no reason.

jetskidude is offline New Member

need recovery time!

be careful core. I hate those set backs too, but you also need to allow time to heal an injury. it helps to break the cycle of >injury>inflamation>pain>injury... inflamed tissue is more prone to injury. take NSAID round the clock such as ibuprofen (Motrin). and if in doubt, see your doc!

good luck bro.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Give it a good rest you dont want to aggravate it anymore...

Thanks for the advice guys. Monday I got back to the gym. A real light workout for me. Only 2 plates on the bench, light curls, light tris. No probs at all. I started doing back and felt that area being worked. It didn't hurt but I thought it would be safer to hold off on back for another week. It wasn't easy going light but I "rewarded" myself by hitting the legs hard. Wed I'm going to repeat the same workout then Fri a small step up. While there is no pain, my confidence is still very shaky and every little feeling in that area still freeks me out.

Fif the Great is offline Associate Member
    Read this thread too, may have some more info for you...

Click here

Thread Information