Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED

Windows Vista on a Mac

I want to download Windows Vista and install it on my MacBook Pro. You guys know of a safe place to download it?
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    Try looking here http://www.download.com thats where I download some of my stuff

Quote Originally Posted by kaberle_15
    Try looking here http://www.download.com thats where I download some of my stuff
    Wait, I just looked. I'm looking for stolen software. It wouldn't be on download.com.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Wait, I just looked. I'm looking for stolen software. It wouldn't be on download.com.
    Have you searched any torrents? You can find just about any program/game your heart desires.

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    I just looked now, there are vista upgrades on that site but some links to others too that may help. Im not much of a computer guy I just go there sometimes to download things I need. Just trying to be of some assistance

x_moe is offline Anabolic Member
    youll find a windows vista torrent for sure

Quote Originally Posted by kaberle_15
    Just trying to be of some assistance
    I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54
    Have you searched any torrents? You can find just about any program/game your heart desires.
    Quote Originally Posted by x_moe
    youll find a windows vista torrent for sure
    OK, I see some links on torrent. I wondered if you knew of a safe torrent. One you've downloaded before. I don't want to download one that includes spyware.

use Bitcomet its a great program to download torrents, it even has a search engine to find the torrent you want.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    best torrent site around (least for me)
    http://www.mininova.org/

I downloaded Vista and got it installed on my Mac. I'm just having some issues with the drivers. The Mac drivers are for XP and some of them crash in vista.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    A Mac!

Mac's in my book are a

Macs are awesome!!! I know a lot of people who are switching from Windows to a Mac.

Z99H6J is offline New Member
    Vista has been a nightmare for me.

I'm somewhat technologically handicapped...and to have to download updates for everysing program i use gets to be a pain in teh azz.

I think the old windows was 10x better.

I agree. Windows vista doesn't live up to the hype. I got it running on my MacBook Pro and reinstalled my apps. I'm getting a user experience rating of 5.0. Not sure if that is good or great.

It's a pain in the ass to install and I had to do the install twice. I first installed Vista Ultimate. I have a business enterprise license from work so it would not activate ultimate. I had to wipe and reinstall vista using the business enterprise version. Once that was installed I was able to activate vista. Vista is like the aborted child of Mac OS X. I prefer OS X.

im also considering on switching to Mac, and use its own OS.

Nice man. Are you looking at a desktop of laptop?

a Laptop, maybe a MacBook Pro, what do you think of that one ?

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    We use all Mac G5s at work and I get nothing but problems. Our applications crash constantly, the Macs freeze for long periods of time and then all of a sudden start working again, I've gotten stuck in Expose a million times. Macs suck. Seriously. Worst computers I have ever used.

Mac OS X is stupid as hell, as well. The Finder layout is ridiculous. It gives you next to no control over how you want to view individual folders. Well, you can change the view (to one of 3) but it doesn't remember your view for network folders, which I use constantly. You can only resize a window from the tab in the bottom right hand corner. You can resize a window in Windows from every edge of the window. It is REALLY hard to change certain things, and it shouldn't be. Sometimes the image preview mode works, sometimes it doesn't. When I'm trying to open an image file it won't show me a preview of the jpeg I'm trying to open so I have to guess which photo is the right one... In Windows I can just change to thumbnail mode.

Windows/Linux forever.
    Last edited by scriptfactory; 03-20-2007 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by x_moe
    a Laptop, maybe a MacBook Pro, what do you think of that one ?
    I have a 17" MacBook Pro and I LOVE IT!! You'll love it to. A friend of mine is a PC tech and for years he has argued with me how much he hates Macs. Now he is dying to buy a MacBook Pro 17". He called me asking if I could hook him up with an Apple discount. I have an Apple discount but it's not much. It's like 10%-15%.

Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    We use all Mac G5s at work and I get nothing but problems. Our applications crash constantly, the Macs freeze for long periods of time and then all of a sudden start working again, I've gotten stuck in Expose a million times. Macs suck. Seriously. Worst computers I have ever used.
    What applications are you running? What version of the OS. Are you running standard applications or custom apps developed by your company. At Sony our entire creative department is ALL Macs and we don't have any of the problems you describe. OS X is very stable. More so than Windows and other OSes. If your Macs are freezing it's a reflection of your IT department not the computers themselves. It's how they're configured or you're running crap code on them.
    You can only resize a window from the tab in the bottom right hand corner. You can resize a window in Windows from every edge of the window. It is REALLY hard to change certain things, and it shouldn't be. Sometimes the image preview mode works, sometimes it doesn't. When I'm trying to open an image file it won't show me a preview of the jpeg I'm trying to open so I have to guess which photo is the right one... In Windows I can just change to thumbnail mode.

Windows/Linux forever.
    OS X WILL show a preview of jpegs, of any image type. It sounds to me like you're using a very old version of OS X. Or you just aren't comfortable with it. Are you using view by icon or the list view? If you use the 3rd view that looks like explorer it shows you a preview of images. I did nothing special and did not enable anything. I just clicked on the jpeg and the preview was there.

Mac OS X is stupid as hell, individual folders. Well, you can change the view (to one of 3) but it doesn't remember your view for network folders, which I use constantly.
    If you can't change the view on network folders it's not OS X. It's the security permissions on the network volume. Your IT department has them locked down and you have limited access to change network volumes. At Sony, we don't lock our network volumes and users have full read/write/change access so they can change their network views and the preference is remembered. Like I said, it's a reflection on your IT department.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Vista is like the aborted child of Mac OS X. I prefer OS X.
    Haha, Ya I completely agree. I also think that vista is looking alot like OS X, and therefore more people will be familiar to an OS X type UI. And soon when Vista users are gonna be sick of all their problems, the switch to Mac will be simple and somewhat familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakspro
    Haha, Ya I completely agree. I also think that vista is looking alot like OS X, and therefore more people will be familiar to an OS X type UI. And soon when Vista users are gonna be sick of all their problems, the switch to Mac will be simple and somewhat familiar.
    I installed Vista on my MacBook Pro yesterday and I downloaded the correct Vista video drivers from ATI. Every 3-5 mins I get screen flickers and the video driver stops responding. My roommate has a Dell PC and he told me he gets the same error in Vista where the video driver crashes. He asked me if I would help him pick out a Mac.

What applications are you running? What version of the OS. Are you running standard applications or custom apps developed by your company. At Sony our entire creative department is ALL Macs and we don't have any of the problems you describe. OS X is very stable. More so than Windows and other OSes. If your Macs are freezing it's a reflection of your IT department not the computers themselves. It's how they're configured or you're running crap code on them.
    We are running Adobe and Macromedia applications for the most part. They all crash on a regular basis. We are running 10.4.8 on Dual G5s... kinda' old but they should still work.

OS X WILL show a preview of jpegs, of any image type. It sounds to me like you're using a very old version of OS X. Or you just aren't comfortable with it. Are you using view by icon or the list view? If you use the 3rd view that looks like explorer it shows you a preview of images. I did nothing special and did not enable anything. I just clicked on the jpeg and the preview was there.
    Try getting an image preview when you are trying to upload a picture an internet form. Try getting an image preview when you are trying to open a file from INSIDE and application. I don't think it can be done. Why doesn't it just have a thumbnail viewing mode? There isn't one to be found... which is pretty retarded.
    If you can't change the view on network folders it's not OS X. It's the security permissions on the network volume. Your IT department has them locked down and you have limited access to change network volumes. At Sony, we don't lock our network volumes and users have full read/write/change access so they can change their network views and the preference is remembered. Like I said, it's a reflection on your IT department.
    Well, I don't think our IT department is all that great. First of all they chose Macs for us to work with... LOL! Second of all we have problems with our servers. Then there is the fact that every Mac in our office has differing levels of problems.

Plus, you still can't resize a window easily in MacOS. Even the "maximize" button doesn't really work in all situations.

Try getting an image preview when you are trying to upload a picture an internet form. Try getting an image preview when you are trying to open a file from INSIDE and application. I don't think it can be done. Why doesn't it just have a thumbnail viewing mode? There isn't one to be found... which is pretty retarded.
    File open. In any application. I still did nothing special. I hit file open and selected the jpeg. I am running 10.4.8.

We are running Adobe and Macromedia applications for the most part. They all crash on a regular basis. We are running 10.4.8 on Dual G5s... kinda' old but they should still work.
    We run the same applications at Sony on G5s and new Mac Pros. They are not crash boxes. I assume you're running Adobe CS. Are you using CS2 or Adobe CS? Does your IT department run the Adobe updates? I can't think of a reason why you guys crash constantly while we have the same computers running the same applications without a problem. It has to be the way your IT department has them configured. Bad RAM, poor build, software without up to date patches. Something is going on. Don't blame the machine. Blame your lame IT department.

Shit, I should move there. I'd make a killing! $$$$$$$

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Vista is like the aborted child of Mac OS X. I prefer OS X.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

File open. In any application. I still did nothing special. I hit file open and selected the jpeg. I am running 10.4.8.
    Uh, how do I enable that on our computers? How did it get disabled in the first place?! LOL!

We run the same applications at Sony on G5s and new Mac Pros. They are not crash boxes. I assume you're running Adobe CS. Are you using CS2 or Adobe CS? Does your IT department run the Adobe updates? I can't think of a reason why you guys crash constantly while we have the same computers running the same applications without a problem. It has to be the way your IT department has them configured. Bad RAM, poor build, software without up to date patches. Something is going on. Don't blame the machine. Blame your lame IT department.

Shit, I should move there. I'd make a killing! $$$$$$$
    We are running CS2. The computers are all originals from a German Apple store. Even the Mac Mini and two iMacs we are using have problems. So... maybe it's something else.

Uh, how do I enable that on our computers? How did it get disabled in the first place?! LOL!

We are running CS2. The computers are all originals from a German Apple store. Even the Mac Mini and two iMacs we are using have problems. So... maybe it's something else.
    Ask your IT department if they need any freelance Mac technical consultants from the States. If they pay first class flight, hotel and my $200 an hour fee I'm there!

Just so you know. There is a preference in Photoshop to save all files with an image thumbnail. You'll find it in File Handling/File Saving Options. Enable always save with image preview. I don't have that enabled on my Mac. I hardly ever use Photoshop. I just use preview that ships with OS X if I quickly need to view an image.

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    I'm running Vista, with 2gigs of ram and a dell 2.4 duocore, I get a windows rating of 5.3 and my machine runs slow and locks up at times. It really hates itunes and photoshop 7.0.

For Everyone:
    By the way when you installed Vista, did you do a clean install or just an upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by ottomaddox
    I'm running Vista, with 2gigs of ram and a dell 2.4 duocore, I get a windows rating of 5.3 and my machine runs slow and locks up at times. It really hates itunes and photoshop 7.0.

For Everyone:
    By the way when you installed Vista, did you do a clean install or just an upgrade?
    Did you update iTunes? iTunes 7.1.1 supports Vista. I did a clean install. I installed it to dual boot my Mac so I didn't care about wiping out XP because I don't use it very often. Only for PC games.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Just so you know. There is a preference in Photoshop to save all files with an image thumbnail. You'll find it in File Handling/File Saving Options. Enable always save with image preview. I don't have that enabled on my Mac. I hardly ever use Photoshop. I just use preview that ships with OS X if I quickly need to view an image.
    Did you buy the software for Photoshop or download it off the net? I want some kind of program to edit my photos. Btw, I wish I had a Mac Pro, I'm working with an iBook G4 (with little complaints).

Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    Did you buy the software for Photoshop or download it off the net? I want some kind of program to edit my photos. Btw, I wish I had a Mac Pro, I'm working with an iBook G4 (with little complaints).
    I downloaded it. I have 5 meg upload and I'll send it to you. PM me.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Hey Carlos do you have CS3? Im kinda just sick of doing some simple browsing in Photoshop and having such a huge lag. Hoping the native CS3 is a bit faster.

GonnaBeHuge is offline Junior Member
    I have to jump in and defend Vista a little here. I helped work on it for over a year.

You will almost always need drivers for everything. This was also true when XP came out. Manufacturer's were not up to speed and ready for our launch. Give it 6 months and the driver situation will be much better.

As far as application compatibility, you should make sure you are running the latest versions of all your software. I know there was an issue with the older iTunes locking up Vista. They're newest version should work fine. Also, there were lots of issues with Nero 7. The newest update should work fine now.

And no, just because I am defending Vista does not make me a MS fanboy. Acutally, I run 2 distros of Linux (debian etch and Mandriva 2007), plus one Vista machine.

GBH
    Last edited by GonnaBeHuge; 04-09-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakspro
    Hey Carlos do you have CS3? Im kinda just sick of doing some simple browsing in Photoshop and having such a huge lag. Hoping the native CS3 is a bit faster.
    I have CS3 for Intel Macs. Let me know if you still want it.

berniec is offline Junior Member
    I downloaded Vista and got it installed on my Mac. I'm just having some issues with the drivers. The Mac drivers are for XP and some of them crash in vista.
    you still having issues? I have vista running on mine (with bootcamp) with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by berniec
    you still having issues? I have vista running on mine (with bootcamp) with no problems.
    It's running fine now. I rearly boot to windows. Maybe once a week I run vista to play a game. Then it's right back to OS X.

berniec is offline Junior Member
    It's running fine now. I rearly boot to windows. Maybe once a week I run vista to play a game. Then it's right back to OS X.
    yup i hear u on that, same deal here. Use windows when i need to run AD admin tools and stuff, and other then that its OS X all the way.

eliteforce is offline Member
    I didn't know you can run windows on a mac? last time i used a mac was 1993..back then it was mac 7.1 vs win 3.1 and windows was total garbage compardes to the mac--back then before a decent version of windos came out.. does windoes on a mac run fast?

anyways how you guys getting past this windows activation nonsense? I had windows xp pro, it was a copy so it wouldn't update, so i borrowed a friends xp home edition (that came with his Dell-i put my machine together myself then installed a copy) but it wouldn't downgrade from pro to 'home' so then I had to erase everything and install xp 'home' , then i had to call Microsnot and tell them that my friends dell HD crashed and i was installing again and they finally let me 're-activate' -- what a pain in the ass .. beofre i go through that mess again with windows i think i'll switch to 'Linex' or whatever that free one is..

There are cracks on the internet to bypass activation.

Thread Information