Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

Looking for guitar players, need advice!!

Any electric guitar players out there? I'm thinking of taking it up, but I don't have a clue about guitars. A local music store around here offers a nice looking electric guitar with a small amp (I live in an apartment, can't be too loud) for $260 Canadian. What brands should I look for? What should I avoid? Any advice helps! I don't want to go too exspensive in case I don't like it or I suck at it, so thats why $260 sounds good.

mavsluva is offline "Gone but not forgotten" 10/11/07
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54
    Any electric guitar players out there? I'm thinking of taking it up, but I don't have a clue about guitars. A local music store around here offers a nice looking electric guitar with a small amp (I live in an apartment, can't be too loud) for $260 Canadian. What brands should I look for? What should I avoid? Any advice helps! I don't want to go too exspensive in case I don't like it or I suck at it, so thats why $260 sounds good.
    I can tell you all about accoustic guitars, but not electric. Sorry man.

boarder034 is offline Member
    Oh god, guitar is my life, i was just playing it lol. Well how much do you want to spend. A good start is a fender strat. There cool...If you wanna get the best, get a gibson, fregin nasty. but thats like 1000, and since ur just learning, i would recomend a fender strat. there cheap only about 200 bucks,and you can find a small amp cheap too. My advice to you though, is if ur just learning, learn on an acoustinc. Many times people have a hard time playing acoustic because there fingers cant push down on the strings (its harder) so they have troubles playing acoustic, after they learn on electric. Learn on an acoustic, and youll play a mean electric guitar. And learn eric claptons songs, youll stretch ur fingers alot more, and learn real quick , and other songs will be extremly easy.
    Last edited by boarder034; 11-29-2006 at 09:12 PM.

I was thinking about accoustic as well. Some of my favorite songs are on accoustic! And yeah I really don't want to spend $1000... somewhere in the $200 range for the guitar and maybe 50-60 for the amp, thats what most little ones seem to cost.

Dude if ur willing to spend 300, **** electric, buy a washborn acoustic....ugh just saying it makes me bust a nut ...its fregin fantastic.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Played since i was a kid..i have thought about selling one of my ESP guitars.

Let me know, i will tell you though this is not a "begginner" guitar and is top notch.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Top notch sounds exspensive.. but a washborn acoustic sounds nice, I'll look into it. I don't know anything about guitars but I know the name washborn so it must be good.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I bought a Yamaha acoustic last year. The only thing I can play is Seven Nation Army. I was trying to learn on my own, but it's alittle too hard to self tech. I'm going to have to get lessons for it I guess.

My fingers end up getting so sore from it, and I have a hard time holding the notes down properly.

I wanted to learn acoustic first, then move onto electric. I'm wondering now if I should have started with electric. I'd probably be playing right now.

Now I'm confused!! I don't want to buy something I can't play!

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    OLP and ibanez make some decent guitars for $200-300. check for burrs on the sides of the frets and finger every fret on a strong a make sure you can sound a note on every fret.

if you have any friends who play make sure you bring them with.

personally if i'm buying my first guitar for cheap, i want an eectric that's easy to play and tune, and stays in tune. your amp is more important for tone, but you're just not going to find a decent one for anywhere near a few hundred dollars, whereas you can find a nice beginner guitar that's fun to play.

Dude learn tabs. I was 14 when i taught my self. Listen to the song, then type in "Hotel california tabs" and just follow the tabs...its relatively easy, once u get the hang ull learn any song with practice

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54
    Now I'm confused!! I don't want to buy something I can't play!
    Well, your best bet would be to sign up for lessons. You can try out the guitars at the studio, and find which one works best for you. That's what I'm doing.

That way I can play both electric and acoustic.

Quote Originally Posted by cfiler
    Well, your best bet would be to sign up for lessons. You can try out the guitars at the studio, and find which one works best for you. That's what I'm doing.

That way I can play both electric and acoustic.
    Good idea.. Try before I buy for a small fee!! Didn't think of that, I'll see if any local places do that

Anyone heard of Blackdog guitars? I think they're Canadian, and this place close to me sells all different kinds of them, accoustic and electric

I will admit this, my friends did get alot better then me when they started taking lessons, i still hold my own, but they can learn alotta stuff faster then me

Now i'm seriously considering an accoustic.. I'll keep you updated on what I do! I will probably try and make it a birthday present in January.. and any other advice anyone can give will be very helpful!

you should get lessons before, then decide what you want to play. most big stores offer lessons, plus you get to try out all the guitars and will probably get a discount.
    i started about 14 years ago on an acoustic for a few years. and clad i did
    what kinda stuff you lookin to play.
    ninja what esps have you got, i love em.
    next the guitar i but is a parker nitefly.

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    www.music123.com buy from there, do not buy from a local music store, 99% of their stuff is pure shit.

ESP make great beginner guitars

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Roland puts out the cube30, which is a fantastic amp for a beginner that has modeling of amps and cabinets as well as some effects.

I would recommend spending more on the amp right now, as you get better at guitar then upgrade.

Oh, for a guitar get a dean EVO it is like 99 bucks and is excellent ecept for the tunners. Buy some aftermarket ones for 20-100 bucks and you have a real player.

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Buy a
    BC rich beast
    death metal pedal
    I forge teh name of the amp ........ spider I think
    and some emg 81/85s
    READY TO GO!!!!!!!!!

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullsmasher
    Buy a
    BC rich beast
    death metal pedal
    I forge teh name of the amp ........ spider I think
    and some emg 81/85s
    READY TO GO!!!!!!!!!
    Bose Metal Zone > *

neardark is offline Junior Member
    Wow did I red funny stuff here...

I've been playing for 22 years now and I've been a few local bands.

I'll put some information straight here.

Its WASHBURN not WASHBORN

J.S.N. made good comments ....

BC RICH is cheap

For the beginning, what are your favorite bands or type of music, would have been a good question to start with...

Saying that Stratocasters or another brand of guitar is the best is not suitable since I can't play on a ****ing strat because i'm not confortable on the neck. Saying that a Strat is crap is not a good statement either.

Start telling us what you want to play, and we'll deal with the fact if you need an accoustic or an electric.... though classical guitars could be a option too if you find accoustic too hard on your fingers.

Local stores have good guitars too... depending where you go... I see that you live in canada but I dont know the city... If you can go to Toronto or Montreal to buy your guitar, I strongly suggest that you go to Steve's Music Store witch will shock you just getting into the guitar room.

hawktribal is offline Senior Member
    if you live in apartment i'd start with an acoustic. for your price range i'd go with a Washburn D10S. It's one of the guitars I have and I think it has a quality sound to it. It got voted best guitar under $500 by a couple guitar mags. If you get it, I'd also have action lowered (strings closer to the fret board) done by a shop to help you fly on it. I don't know much about electrics, but if you're looking for a good metal sound you seriosuly can't beat the boss mt-2 metal zone.

neardark is offline Junior Member
    I think he's better off buying a used multi-effect like a J-Station or a pod... that way he'll be able to play with headphones as loud as he wants and have a better sound instead of playing with a 50$ amp.

Washburn D10S is a decent choice too.... but like I said, it depends on what he wants to play... its not even half the fun to play some Slipknot with a accoustic.

Quote Originally Posted by neardark
    I think he's better off buying a used multi-effect like a J-Station or a pod... that way he'll be able to play with headphones as loud as he wants and have a better sound instead of playing with a 50$ amp.
    yeah that's the best option in my mind. it's economical, flexible, and in an apartment it's alot easier to control the volume on an electric than an acoustic. shit when i used to play my fiddle (poorly) two of my neighbors off themselves.

I want to be able to play some The Guess Who, Tragically Hip (they have both accoustic and electric songs), CCR, so I'm guessing accoustic might be the way to go. I'll look into the guitars that people recommended, do some research, see whats best for me!

Thanks for the help guys, keep the advice coming!

if you want a cheap acoustic then IMO there's no comparison. the taylor big baby is a very good guitar you can get for under $400. it' not as pretty as their expensive models, but it sounds good and is easy to play.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars...aspx?model=307

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    I played a lot when i was younger but never really got back into it lately. Mine's an ibanez and i love it. It was the first one i ever had and i'll probably never sell it.

If I could end up playing Ahead by a Century by The Tragically Hip (the accoustic part), I would be happy.

and No Sugar Tonight by The Guess Who.. That's what I'm looking to learn

You can plug headphones into the amp on an electric so that you don't annoy everyone else.

I'm signing up for guitar lessons, and I'm going to be renting a electric from them.

Best bet is to try out the guitars first. Find out which is comfortable for you, and which will provided the sound that you are looking for.

Acoustic is nice though, because you don't need to haul the amp and guitar everywhere to practice, and do not need power.

You can sit outside under a tree, and practise, or anywhere.

Maybe try renting the unit for acouple of months? If it's not what you are looking for them take it back, and try something different.

Thread Information