IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

question about widescreen and black bars?

I have been reading articles about these, but I am not really finding the answer in black and white that I am looking for......

if you watch widescreen movies on a standard size tv, you get black bars......Are you actually losing the top and bottom of the film? if you compared a widescreen movie, and a pan and scan on a standard tv, would the top and bottom of the movies appear exactly the same, even though you see the black bars? thats my main question.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    I don't think there is any loss or cutoff of the film... its just resized on your tv, and the black bars change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 (standard)

ya, I think you are right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPAgNrvZaw

here is a video I found on youtube....and you can see the comparison....its a director talking about the widescreen.....with the black bars, what you see on the top and bottom of screen is exactly the same, if not more, than what you see on pan and scan

right at 2:00, you can see the comparison

TheArtist is offline Member
    you're not losing any of the picture. Actually, a lot of times, you're gaining some of the picture (width wise). You get a more panoramic view of the frame with widscreen.
    Be careful though, if you have a plasma tv, as those black bars tend to burn in, if watched too frequently.

ya, so the passionate supporters of widescreen are often pretty angry when they right their articles and opions......and they are for the most part right......but the thing is, nobody wants see the ****ing black bars. If i buy a 60 inch tv, i dont want to lose half the screen because of the godddamn bars...

I think television is an awful mess right now. in the mid 50's, what they should have been doing is making widescreen tv's in the proper ratios. And all tv should be in the same format. They are making widescreen tv's right now, and phasing out the old ones, which is good, tv's need to be made to fit what movie producers are doing, and we need some kind of real standard.....but whats with the ****en prices.....the tv's are such a rip off.......a few months ago, i bought a 36 inch standard tv for 300 something dollars, its very nice......Now, you cant find those sized standard tv's in stores anymore........32 inch tv's are going for 600-700 dollars.....WHAT THE ****? thats a rip off and those kinds of prices are not justified.

all in all, i just want to say **** it all

shifty_git is offline Anabolically Aware
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04 View Post
    ya, I think you are right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPAgNrvZaw

here is a video I found on youtube....and you can see the comparison....its a director talking about the widescreen.....with the black bars, what you see on the top and bottom of screen is exactly the same, if not more, than what you see on pan and scan

right at 2:00, you can see the comparison
    That was an interesting vid!

Never ganna by a standard format dvd again!

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    I think television is an awful mess right now. in the mid 50's, what they should have been doing is making widescreen tv's in the proper ratios. And all tv should be in the same format.
    When movies came out pre 1950's the motion picture industry used a 1.33:1 (4:3)aspect ratio for all films. Standard TVs came out in the exact same aspect ration (mimicking cinema screens) and then became increasingly popular, to the point where the film industry was losing movie goers to tv shows. So they changed the aspect ratio to wide screen formats because they needed a gimmick to attract people back to the cinema houses. Widescreen mimicks human eyesight (we see more from side to side than up and down) so they marketed it as being more realistic. The TV industry didn't change their standard as there was no need. There was no set home video standard until video home system (VHS) some 20 years later.

Your wide screen TV will get rid of the black bars when playing DVDs or blueray movies in 1.85, 1.77 or 1.66 format. Movies shot in anamorphic widescreen 2.35:1 will still show black bars on your TV, but they wont be as thick as on a 4:3 TV.

ya, its all starting to make sense....

But I think, a 60 inch wide screen tv is only like 36 inches tall, and they go for thousands of dollars......so annoying

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    ya, its all starting to make sense....

But I think, a 60 inch wide screen tv is only like 36 inches tall, and they go for thousands of dollars......so annoying
    i paid 3k for my 42 plasma a few years ago.

Thread Information