mx3
    mx3 is offline Senior Member

contimplating becoming a personal trainer

I have been working construction all my life. I just got layed off from my job due to the economy sucking and there isn't much work. I was the foreman so it was easy for me to take breaks and eat every two hours. now im thinking of getting my nasm cert to be a personal trainer. mainly because bodybuilding is extremely important to me and I have to work in an environment that allows me to eat when I need to and I think it would be fun to work around the weights all day and Im already very knowledgable on fitness. the thing is im a little concerned about the money. who out their are personal trainers? how do you like it? is there anything I should know before getting into this? what kind of money do pt make? what kind of gyms would be best to work for. and anything else anyone would like to add. Any input is appreciated.

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    I'm a personal trainer, and I've been doign it for 5 years now. I love what I do. Half of training is bascially babysitting, socializing, but it's rewarding when you get your clients the results you want and then some. I would go to all the gyms within your local reach before buying a cert program. Some gyms hire you on as an employee and pay you hourly. Some gyms turn you basically into a salesman, and make you go onto the floor and solicit the members into finding potential clients. If you lucky, few gyms will hire you on, make you pay a "rent" fee each month, let you pocket whatever you earn off your clients, and even give you your clients. So the money is 100% dependant on these factors. If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

mx3
    mx3 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the response. I will shoot you a pm soon.

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    If its something you love and want then go for it,,,, (but as JDM states look at the reality as well)

Good luck

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I do it as a side job, it is demanding for sure but when someone is really into getting fit then its well worth it. I specialize in special populations so I have my own niche worked out and clients come to me without me having to do much on my part. It is important to find what particularly interest you. Whether it is athletes, weekend warriors, middle age soccer moms, or older adults. Each group has its own challenges and demands.

with everyone tightening there belts and watching every penny i thought that a luxury like personal training would be the first thing some one would cut from there weekly budget... but it would be a great job, best of luck to you mate.

rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    definatly a side job...

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lfs2shrt2bsml View Post
    with everyone tightening there belts and watching every penny i thought that a luxury like personal training would be the first thing some one would cut from there weekly budget... but it would be a great job, best of luck to you mate.
    exactly. I was considering it too but second guessing it due to the economy

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    exactly. I was considering it too but second guessing it due to the economy
    Agree, but there's nothing wrong with starting the study on-line or something, it takes time to get and maybe when you have it the economy will be better, if not you have still learned something and that is always useful.......

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    I thought about doing a YMCA course so i can get parttime (1 day a month)work in my local gym. the membership is £1250 a year and as an employee i woudl get it for nothing, but the L1 YMCA course costs like £800 so i thought fvck it, ill just keep on how i am.

Thread Information