Phosphor is offline Junior Member

Any ideas on laptop screen issue?

A few years back I bought my wife a cheapy asus pc 900 netbook and promptly fumbled it a few days later and cracked the screen. I recently decided to get off my duff and fix the poor thing. Between then and now, I bought her the iPad but now she is tired of it - hence the getting off the duff part.

I bought a new replacement from a vendor on ebay selling pc 900/900hd compatible screens. Eventually recieved it, disassembled the old screen, plugged in the new and... nothing. Black screen, but the system boots up fine with the old screen plugged in or an external monitor attached. After getting the external on and the new 'black' screen attached, it sees the new monitor but is deactivated in xp. I go ahead an activate, still nothing and a few minutes later it deactivates again. Tried doing the keyboard shortcut to switch from onboard to external and everything I could find in xp. No luck.

Notified the seller, sent it back at my cost and he sent another new one - prolly from the slow boat from China, but I got it last night. Salivating to get it finally fixed, I ripped the box open and plugged it in... still black screen. Nothing on bootup or the os. Just black - the plugins for the old one and the new are identical. The seller says with all his other sales he has had no known issues.

I'm about to bash the godamn thing with a hammer and be done with it.

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    Did your replace the inverter as well?

Techguy30 is offline Junior Member
    does the screen light up if you put the old broken display in????

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sounds like more is broke than just the screen. On my old HP I had a couple wires that broke between the screen and MB where it feeds through a small hole where the screen hinges open and closed. I fixed it once but it broke again. PITA. I ended up hooking it up to my plasma TV in the bedroom as a stand alone and it works great.

Get or borrow an extra monitor or if you have a cable and can connect it to your tv try that to make sure it's booting up properly.

It's really odd. All I replaced was the screen. Like I said, when I put the old one back in, it works - cracks and all. I hook it to an external and that works as well. I just want a new screen in the thing minus the cracks. Both of the new ones act like they are not getting "lit". With the system hooked to an external and the new one plugged in, I can see the new screen in display properties (shows some improper resolutions, but even switching it doesn't make it come up - which makes sense because even on bootup nothing is displayed). Just really odd. Wasted 30 bucks on shipping now and I am afraid of purchsing from another vendor for a 3rd screen. PITA! May as well cut my losses and sell the whole thing on ebay and put the cash towards another, better updated system for the wifey.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    How was the feedback on the ebay seller? It sounds like you are getting DOA screens since the old one lights up. I would refuse to pay shipping at this point.

He has been kind of a pain in the ass, since I have requested reimbursment of the shipping but just seemingly skips over that part of the message to answer other questions. He will reimburse me just the money paid into the screen itself claiming that nobody else has issues with the screens except me - I call BS on that one. He advertises the screen is for my unit and it doesn't work. period. So, I may go through the ebay/paypal complaints, but when I bought a 'nice' paintball gun a few years back, I recieved one with filed-off serial numbers and got hosed by paypal bigtime. They mostly don't want to be bothered.

On a side note, the russian idget above needs to be banned since I used google translator and it produced some of the following: Leisure bryansk prostitutes prostitutes offering fisting, whores whores Novosibirsk, prostitutes soligalich, sexual services in Moscow, etc. That was pretty much the whole posting. Only one post, what a surprise. Maybe I would have bit on it, but the fisting doesn't interest me. j/k

Daboss is offline New Member
    Many have better luck trying to file a claim through the credit card you used through paypal, if that is how you paid. Most companies allow up to 6 months to file the claim. Even if Paypal does not honor your refund your credit card company most likely will and they cancel and take back the payment from paypal, then paypal is forced to recoup the money from the seller not from the buyer. Hope that helps!

It does help - where were you a few years ago! lol If i get into an issue with this ebay seller, I may go that route. Good to know, thank you.

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    your first problem is you went thru ebay

try www.pricewatch.com you will find a new screen there no doubt for what u paid on ebay or close to it with free shipping

Thread Information