kiki123 is offline Associate Member

Veteran Bodybuilders, what are some tips you've got for the younger lifters?

I stumbled across an article today that offered advice from someone lifting for 25+ years what he had learned and what had worked for him. Granted that not everyone is built the same and there will always be opinions that others don't agree with. I thought it would be a good idea if maybe those bodybuilders who have been in the game for a long time could give advice to the younger lifters on techniques, methods, attitudes, dieting, cycling whatever it may be that made a big difference. I'm 28 so I'm not that young and first picked up the weights 10 years ago. Since then I've been a sponge and I'm constantly learning in this sport that has rapidly evolved over the years.

I'm also careful on who I take advice from. I'm more likely to listen to someone who's lived this life for 20+ years than the guy in his early 20's who thinks he knows everything because he's genetically gifted and/or has numerous cycles under his belt.

There is a saying that goes "The most important lessons in life must be lived not learned" but in this case the sooner things are learned the sooner they will be practiced and taken advantage of.

Just type "Things I've learned from over 25 years of Bodybuilding" in google for the article I was reading. Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with everything he points out and some things are downright obvious but I must admit it did make me rethink a few things about my training.
    Last edited by kiki123; 03-28-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm only speaking for myself here and from personal mistakes. When I was younger, I really overtrained, improper rest, and didn't understand a proper way to eat. And since I ran so many miles, I thought legs were not that important.

For me, I like the 4 day split week
    5+ meals a day (very clean and proper timing of what is eaten and when)
    and I like to chart out my progress in an Excel spreadsheet.

Some of the younger bulls can be alot more aggressive with their training, but I have to be careful not to get injured.

yungone501 is offline Senior Member
    Eat, train, sleep...but the greatest of these three is eat.

Hallelujah!

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki123 View Post
    I stumbled across an article today that offered advice from someone lifting for 25+ years what he had learned and what had worked for him. Granted that not everyone is built the same and there will always be opinions that others don't agree with. I thought it would be a good idea if maybe those bodybuilders who have been in the game for a long time could give advice to the younger lifters on techniques, methods, attitudes, dieting, cycling whatever it may be that made a big difference. I'm 28 so I'm not that young and first picked up the weights 10 years ago. Since then I've been a sponge and I'm constantly learning in this sport that has rapidly evolved over the years.

I'm also careful on who I take advice from. I'm more likely to listen to someone who's lived this life for 20+ years than the guy in his early 20's who thinks he knows everything because he's genetically gifted and/or has numerous cycles under his belt.

There is a saying that goes "The most important lessons in life must be lived not learned" but in this case the sooner things are learned the sooner they will be practiced and taken advantage of.

Just type "Things I've learned from over 25 years of Bodybuilding" in google for the article I was reading. Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with everything he points out and some things are downright obvious but I must admit it did make me rethink a few things about my training.
    I do it everyday here answering questions!! this forum is full of knowledge and experience

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    I think the most important aspect to bodybuilding is being able to learn about your own body - which also includes figuring out how it responds to certain foods, training, and sleep.

It takes YEARS of trial and error yet you'll never perfect it..... Once you get a good handle on it though..... your success will start to pile up.

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    Mine would be to take time with a good physical base before moving into other "supplements".

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I think the most important aspect to bodybuilding is being able to learn about your own body - which also includes figuring out how it responds to certain foods, training, and sleep.

It takes YEARS of trial and error yet you'll never perfect it..... Once you get a good handle on it though..... your success will start to pile up.

~Haz~
    Great advice, I am still working through this phase myself.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I was a semipro cyclist as a teen and I learned from Eddie Borysewicz (coach to US Postal) about the improtance of monitoring heartrate. By simply monitoring your heart rate a minute or two after waking and noting a change from the norm you can spot changes (an increase of 5-10 bpm) that indicate overtraining/lack of sleep. Another great method is if you have access to resistance equipment that reads in watts like an exersice bike you can do 2 minutes of cardio at 60-70% of your max heart rate and note the wattage output at to achieve that rate. Then by inputting that wattage and using the same RPM (cadence) at the pedals you can note overtraining by a rapid rise in heartrate above that normally seen. Both of these methods are far better than relying on whether you think you are tired as emotion can play into that but the heart won't lie.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Never underestimate the importance of a proper diet.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post

~Haz~
    Excellent post. I was gonna say the same thing. And that applies to all sports. Even as a pro football player I had to learn how to listen to my own body and not use these cookie cutter routines.

So the only thing I have to add is PUT DOWN THOSE FVCKIN BODYBUILDING MAGS!!!! LOL!!! There are extremely misleading.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Slow down! Too many people rush through a set when they'd get much better results with a slower rep cadence. Leave your ego at the door and use weights that allow proper form.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    ^^^ agree with this. See so many kids with weights they can't lift properly, and it's like "ooh look me curl this " yeah that's not even one rep, pick up a weight you can lift with proper form, even if you feel like a douche in front of others.

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    as zyzz once told me...

1) disregard mass and females, acquire aesthetics and dance moves

2) become your own sexual fantasy

3) let haters hate

thats it, you mad?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I'm only speaking for myself here and from personal mistakes. When I was younger, I really overtrained, improper rest, and didn't understand a proper way to eat. And since I ran so many miles, I thought legs were not that important.

For me, I like the 4 day split week
    5+ meals a day (very clean and proper timing of what is eaten and when)
    and I like to chart out my progress in an Excel spreadsheet.

Some of the younger bulls can be alot more aggressive with their training, but I have to be careful not to get injured.
    I swear to god we must be brothers. LOL

Agreed (obviously) with the above. exactly what i was going to say.

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by stevey_6t9 View Post
    as zyzz once told me...

3) let haters hate

thats it, you mad?
    mad bro

big_ron is offline Anabolic Member
    as zyzz once told me...

3) let haters hate

thats it, you mad?
    Also mix raw eggs with tuna as a post work out drink

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    I'm still too young!!!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    and expect slow progress. don't expect miracles in just a few months. Patience!

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    I'm still too young!!!
    Keep telling yourself that....

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Don't train through pain or injuries. Let them heal, you will be glad you did 10 years from now.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Don't train through pain or injuries. Let them heal, you will be glad you did 10 years from now.
    when u competing?

InfiniteMuscle is offline Junior Member
    I agree with haz. Bodybuilding is about building your own body. Taking your own body to wherever you want and achieving whatever kind of physique you desire. You can have whatever body you Want if you put effort in it. Don't rush it. Take your time and do it the right way. Listen to the older guys. And like BG said above, don't push through injuries. This could ultimately lead to an even bigger problem. Be smart.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    It's a marathon not a sprint, know the difference between good pain and bad pain. Persistance, determination and patience go along ways towards success. Every gym I have ever trained at, 95% of the guys look the exact same, year on and year out. The ones who improve do so because they have mastered their diet. Most of all, like everything else in life your results match your effort, you get out of it exactly what you put into it. Next time you are discouraged with your results look in the mirror and that is whom to blame.

fif
    fif is offline Junior Member
    as zyzz once told me...

3) let haters hate

thats it, you mad?
    hahahahha sick kunt

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    as zyzz once told me...

3) let haters hate

thats it, you mad?

AHHAHAAH

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    shortcuts anyone? We are the generation of the I want it all and I want it now. Good song by Queen......

Thread Information