kalspic is offline Senior Member

thinking of buying a pistol

so im thinking of buying a pistol now that i have some extra cash laying around. i really like the 1911 model but im not set on that yet. i dont really know much about pistols, so if anyone could give me some info that would be great.

i dont plan on carrying it too much but im not sure of the laws in south carolina. so if you guys could give me a link or some info that would be awesome.

i would mainly just be taking it to the range and keeping it for protection.

my price range is no more than 700.

any links, personal experiance or just general knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

buffgator is offline king of mass
    i think you would be better off with something other than a 1911.....I probably own about a dozen pistols each has its roll. One of my biggest concerencs is always how comfortable and natural it feels in my hand. For up to 700 there are endless good handguns out there. just google gun forums and im sure youll run across a few good ones

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buffgator View Post
    i think you would be better off with something other than a 1911.....I probably own about a dozen pistols each has its roll. One of my biggest concerencs is always how comfortable and natural it feels in my hand. For up to 700 there are endless good handguns out there. just google gun forums and im sure youll run across a few good ones
    Agreed. Next to the everyone will have a favorite. Glock (mine) Sig, etc. Take them into the range and shoot them to see how they feel.

clemont51 is offline Banned
    Yes, try them for feel and then test. Lady friend of mine bought one of those Keltec tiny 9mm's. Brutal
    recoil, good defense, not for fun shooting! If you can afford it look at the FN Herstal 5.57 x 28. Easy to
    handle and that hi-speed .22 will penetrate an engine block!

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clemont51 View Post
    Yes, try them for feel and then test. Lady friend of mine bought one of those Keltec tiny 9mm's. Brutal
    recoil, good defense, not for fun shooting! If you can afford it look at the FN Herstal 5.57 x 28. Easy to
    DO you have a video to back this up, not bashing you but I have never seen a .22 calibur bullet penetrate a windshield much less a engine block.

Quote Originally Posted by kalspic View Post
    so im thinking of buying a pistol now that i have some extra cash laying around. i really like the 1911 model but im not set on that yet. i dont really know much about pistols, so if anyone could give me some info that would be great.

i dont plan on carrying it too much but im not sure of the laws in south carolina. so if you guys could give me a link or some info that would be awesome.

i would mainly just be taking it to the range and keeping it for protection.

my price range is no more than 700.

any links, personal experiance or just general knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
    Stick with these brands and you absolutely cannot go wrong:

http://www.hk-usa.com/index.asp

http://www.sigsauer.com/

fattymcbutterpants is offline Senior Member
    Springfield XD....enough said lol. The 9mm holds 19+1 I believe straight from the factory and its a comfortable gun

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member

thanks guys. i have research to do. but i havnt really had too much experiance with pistols growing up, jsut shotguns and rifles. but feel is definatly import. do you think they will let me test guns out at the range, or do they have pistols to rent?

Hard.On is offline Senior Member
    Save some extra cash and buy a five-seven

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    thanks guys. i have research to do. but i havnt really had too much experiance with pistols growing up, jsut shotguns and rifles. but feel is definatly import. do you think they will let me test guns out at the range, or do they have pistols to rent?
    lol you're in ga/sc..you should have no problem finding a range or shop that will let you do some testing..google your local for gun shops and ranges

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Love my Smith and Wesson M&P .45

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Given your budget I'd recommend you go with a Glock.

Get a few hundred more and Sig, H&K, or a nice S&W revolver are other options. I think a S&W 686+ revolver is a fantastic first pistol.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Colt 44 magnum with 2" barrel. pocket hammer optional... This pistol will leave you wanting nothing more from a handgun except maybe more rounds, and a excuse to use it...enough said.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I have several handguns but by far my 2 favorite are a ruger p90 .45acp and a walther ppks .380.
    The ruger is one of the most pleasant guns i have ever fired and is amazingly accurate. You will also find it is a very resonably prived gun. I like it more than guns i have paid 1.5x more money for.
    The walther is the best concealed carry gun i have ever owned.

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    bro get the Springfield 40mm XD or XDM if you can. I wanted to get the XDM but not legal in CA.

blacksmoke is offline Associate Member
    CZ 75 shadow is my favourite. It has an awesome trigger and is accurate!

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Cant go wrong with a CZ75 or 85.
    H&K makes a nice pistol in that price range.

All joking aside, you can buy a norinco 1911 frame for so cheap and with some metal massaging and "real" colt parts, you can have a tac driver for half the cost of an STI

buffgator is offline king of mass
    Im glad to see cz getting some love on here. My cz 75 is my favorite pistol. FN-x is a good economical pistol. Pretty much by a name brand such as Smith and Wesson, Glock, HK, Springfield, CZ, FN, Ruger ect and you cant go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HitIt View Post
    lol you're in ga/sc..you should have no problem finding a range or shop that will let you do some testing..google your local for gun shops and ranges
    i live by you and surprisingly i only know of one where my parents live and havnt found one up here.

i like rugers, own a shotgun and a rifle by them and enjoy shooting both of them.

i can research all day but it comes down to acctualy holding the gun its self and making a decision from there.

thanks for all the ideas guy i now have some research to do.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    We use Glocks at work when transporting inmates. Pretty reliable weapon in my opinion.

the_rebirth is offline Member
    In my opinion the taurus judge work's great for protection. Plus if the person you are protecting yourself from is going to try to kill you, that gun would work great to stop them from ever doing that again. I know a lot of people do not like taurus, but between the judge and a 2003 hammerless 40 I think they work fine for what they are intended for.

Quote Originally Posted by the_rebirth View Post
    In my opinion the taurus judge work's great for protection. Plus if the person you are protecting yourself from is going to try to kill you, that gun would work great to stop them from ever doing that again. I know a lot of people do not like taurus, but between the judge and a 2003 hammerless 40 I think they work fine for what they are intended for.
    Ive heard good and bad about taurus, but for the price, its a decent pistol... not sure what I think about brazilian firearms, but having not owned one, I cant say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    We use Glocks at work when transporting inmates. Pretty reliable weapon in my opinion.
    I have a G22, just like the boys in blue...

Uncle$ is offline Junior Member
    My fav still is the .45 1911. I do love the magnum revolvers, revolvers in general really... But if taking out multiple targets I prefer less recoil. I shot my buddies ruger 9mm the other day and that was nice as well. We can carry glocks at work but I see no point as all I'd do is turn it in while I'm working in the jail and then get it out of lockup when coming off duty.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clemont51 View Post
    Mate,
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Cox engines for model airplanes do NOT count!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    i think you should go on feel and what will the weapon be used for. every gun and caliber has its own purpose, so i would say to first figure out what you want the pistol for. i am also in the market for a pistol and i am looking at all what has been referred here. i think i may go with a 9mm caliber because the ammo is so cheap. do not know what kind yet but i have seen a glock in action before and it is pretty sweet. smith a wesson just came out with a new one so i may check that one out as well. good luck and happy chootin'!

kelevra is offline Member
    A lot of good points and options. For pure combat hand gun I like Glocks price and rep. I run H&K’s & love them, but they can be bulky and high dollars. I run a USP tac 45 for secondary & I have a regular USP 45 for a back up to it. As they both use same mags. Spring field XD’s are good and a few other are fine as well. Not a big fan of Sig as they are pricey and didn’t like the one I had compared to my HK’s and or a glock.
    Unless it is needed for your work then I would recomed going with comfort, but do not sacrifice quality. Kimber makes some very fine 1911’s, but they can be ammo dependant. The spring field 1911’s are good as well & cheaper.

im looking at monday to go to the range and talk with the guys there. i really dont need the protection but its will give me a piece in mind knowing i have it just incase.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle$ View Post
    My fav still is the .45 1911. I do love the magnum revolvers, revolvers in general really... But if taking out multiple targets I prefer less recoil. I shot my buddies ruger 9mm the other day and that was nice as well. We can carry glocks at work but I see no point as all I'd do is turn it in while I'm working in the jail and then get it out of lockup when coming off duty.
    Im diggin the Ruger SR9... the first gen of the model had a recall due to possible accidental misfire if dropped on the butt end.. no one could reproduce this "theory" in testing but the next gen had no issues for sure. Great price on a slick little 9mm

how often do you guys shoot your guns or do you keep it locked up around the house all the time?

Mooseman33 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    keep in mind the carrying aspect.

some guns are just not comfy to carry. dont buy something that u dont want to carry...

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    how often do you guys shoot your guns or do you keep it locked up around the house all the time?
    depends. i like to go out to the range every now and then and just let it rip. its a nice stress relief after a bad day. i don't have any kids yet so i do not have any locked up. my ak sits right at my bed post ready to roll!

kelevra is offline Member
    a few times a month, never locked, but no kids of age.

blacksmoke is offline Associate Member
    Some times I only get out once a month to shoot but I like to go once week. As for keeping it locked up, here in Canada we have to. It's trigger locked, locked in it's case and in the safe. Just a little over board.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    depends. i like to go out to the range every now and then and just let it rip. its a nice stress relief after a bad day. i don't have any kids yet so i do not have any locked up. my ak sits right at my bed post ready to roll!
    ha, we are allowd to keep bedside in the south lol.

i dont have any young kids around the house so that wont be a problem, it just seems like the responsible thing to do. but i have a few things to look into. laws being one of them and the feel. im starting to think i might wait to get a 1911 and find something more practical for myself.

dirtybrd is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Love my Smith and Wesson M&P .45
    I agree, I just got a M&P 9 and its great! Only thing I dont like it has no safety.

clemont51 is offline Banned
    The FN Herstal 5.57 x 28 has the same ballistics as a .22 hornet centerfire.
    Softnose will melt right through a steel farm fence post. Pricey.

Thread Information