AZGOLDSMEMBER86 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

any one ever shoe a horse ?

not sure if you have seen this done , but if you have had a bad horse to shoe its a workout lol

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Never done it myself, but watched my grandpa do it several times. Always thought he was hurting the horse when he tapped the nails in. Our horses were very well manored, when he would grab their leg they would lift it backwards and let him rest it on his knee.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    Never done it myself, but watched my grandpa do it several times. Always thought he was hurting the horse when he tapped the nails in. Our horses were very well manored, when he would grab their leg they would lift it backwards and let him rest it on his knee.
    thats technique is still used to this day .
    its a tough job. my backs killing lol

optionsdude is offline Member
    My buddy is a horse shoer or farrier as some call it. He used to tell me stories about the horses leaning on him while he's shoeing. The money's good but the work is hard. He's back in school on his days off so he can get a job that doesn't cripple him,get used to the sore back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by optionsdude View Post
    My buddy is a horse shoer or farrier as some call it. He used to tell me stories about the horses leaning on him while he's shoeing. The money's good but the work is hard. He's back in school on his days off so he can get a job that doesn't cripple him,get used to the sore back.
    lol ya the horses lean lots of weight , help me get good squat strength and farrier is the correct term . through the years there has been lots of back savingsl tools to help . it is hard work . @10horses a day 130$a peice , you bet its good money

optionsdude is offline Member
    My friend has built up a great clientele and now he only shoes 3 days a week at 2 different barns. He also turns down the uncooperative horses. He's very skilled with a forge and a hammer and has won many competitions. A lot of people just work with a farrier as an apprentice and decide to go it alone instead of continuing to learn. The result is poor showings and generally an unreliable farrier. If you have e skills the business is there to be had. And if you're good and reliable you can charge a lot more than $130 in California. Take care of your back and don't overdo it. Lost time is lost money and you don't want to be in a situation where you have to work injured.

Thread Information