Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GingerbeardJ
  • 1 Post By bloodchoke
  • 1 Post By FotoBlast

Thread: Pet owners

GingerbeardJ is offline Associate Member

Pet owners

Long read just a heads up. Scary experience we encountered last night.

I'm sure we have a lot of pet owners on the site and you can all probably relate that they are truly "apart" of your families. So I thought I'd share my horrible experience we went through last night.

We have an 8 month old German shepherd female named Kaia. she's amazing got her when she was 8 weeks old I could almost fit her in my palm!

Well starting Wednesday night she started acting funny, wasn't her wild crazy self. She seemed a little lethargic compared to normal but nothing to extreme. At around 9 at night she started to dry heave with no success of regurgitating anything up. She would whine and get very scared it seemed right before this would happen every time. She did this a few times through out the night till she finally threw up a tiny chunk of what looked like the outside of a tennis ball. And she happened to tear one up the night before (we forgot to pick it up when we left for the gym). So I figured she was trying to pass this. She threw up another little piece once more later on at night but that was it.

Thursday both my wife and I had to work so we put her in the kennel and left some water for knowing she had not been feeling well. I was worried about her so I went home around 1 to check on her and she was doing okay. No vomit or anything. Went back to work got home at 5:30 and the kennel was full of vomit(which you could tell was just water and stomach acid) and she was pushed as far back away from it as she could. Cleaned her up gave her a bath cleaned the kennel and house. Still hadn't ate since Wednesday after noon so going past 24 hours.

This is where it really gets scary. Later in the night she drank some water and within 20 mins of drinking it threw it all up violently. It reminded me of a drunk person when they puke and it just doesn't stop. So I said that's it we're going to an emergency vet. Took her in got her xrayed and you could see there was something blocking her stomach and possibly blocking the small intestine. So we had two options, surgery or iv fluids to help push it and maybe it would pass through. So we went with the fluids first to see if that would work, because we really didn't want to put her through surgery and this was a much much cheaper option. We had to leave her at the emergency vet last night which was one of the hardest things, seeing he in the kennel and just getting so excited to see you and you can only tell her good bye and walk away for the night. (Can't imagine how kids are gonna be lol). So we got a call at about 3 am saying the radiologist had looked at the xrays and said she needed to be operated on right away.

She went into surgery this morning at 7 am and was out at 11:30 am. They eneded up finding some green tennis balls (the outer part of it) and she has a rope toy as well, she must have chewed a strand of that off because that was tying everything together blocking the stomach and small intestine. She is in recovery now and the wife and I are going to go see her tonight at 9:30. One of the scariest moments to go through not knowing if she's gonna make it out not.

Learned a very expensive lesson on rope toys and tennis balls. She is a little monster who chews and swallows everything! Just thought I'd share my experience with your guys and gals.

May she have a speedy recovery and a long and happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog
    May she have a speedy recovery and a long and happy life.
    thanks for the kind words!

Here's a pic of the little monster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pet owners-image-1472599984.jpg  
    bloodchoke likes this.

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    yea hate to hear that we had a problem with my pit we gave her some rib bones and they splintered in her stomach it was pretty scary as well . I always herd that they cant eat only chicken bones but the vet told us they cant eat any bones that have been cooked because cooking makes them brittle, hard lesson learned

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Wow I hate hearing this.

One of my pups eats everything and has torn up carpet on every room at this point. Could imagine this happening to him.

Honestly before reading this was going to post about this little shit lol and my older dog. Older dog won't chew the bones that we give them....but he will only try if the younger one has it. Which ends up (and has only happened 3 times now) in a violent attack on each other.

Tonight I tried breaking them up....younger one bite me pretty damn good in the finger.

Really not sure if I need to go to get a tetness (spelling) or not. Been pouring peroxide on in for 20 mins now lol. It's small but probably the depth of his tooth.

Anyways didn't mean to hijack the thread at all and take away from your pups sickness. I wish him full recovery. Def a family member

Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80
    Wow I hate hearing this. One of my pups eats everything and has torn up carpet on every room at this point. Could imagine this happening to him. Honestly before reading this was going to post about this little shit lol and my older dog. Older dog won't chew the bones that we give them....but he will only try if the younger one has it. Which ends up (and has only happened 3 times now) in a violent attack on each other. Tonight I tried breaking them up....younger one bite me pretty damn good in the finger. Really not sure if I need to go to get a tetness (spelling) or not. Been pouring peroxide on in for 20 mins now lol. It's small but probably the depth of his tooth. Anyways didn't mean to hijack the thread at all and take away from your pups sickness. I wish him full recovery. Def a family member
    no worries at all! Sounds like you got a couple of hellions on your hands! Gotta love them tho!! She is the same way will literally chew up anything and eat it!

Quote Originally Posted by djgreen
    yea hate to hear that we had a problem with my pit we gave her some rib bones and they splintered in her stomach it was pretty scary as well . I always herd that they cant eat only chicken bones but the vet told us they cant eat any bones that have been cooked because cooking makes them brittle, hard lesson learned
    I've never thought about it like that but makes sense how they'd get fragile I guess.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerbeardJ View Post
    Long read just a heads up. Scary experience we encountered last night.

I'm sure we have a lot of pet owners on the site and you can all probably relate that they are truly "apart" of your families. So I thought I'd share my horrible experience we went through last night.

We have an 8 month old German shepherd female named Kaia. she's amazing got her when she was 8 weeks old I could almost fit her in my palm!

Well starting Wednesday night she started acting funny, wasn't her wild crazy self. She seemed a little lethargic compared to normal but nothing to extreme. At around 9 at night she started to dry heave with no success of regurgitating anything up. She would whine and get very scared it seemed right before this would happen every time. She did this a few times through out the night till she finally threw up a tiny chunk of what looked like the outside of a tennis ball. And she happened to tear one up the night before (we forgot to pick it up when we left for the gym). So I figured she was trying to pass this. She threw up another little piece once more later on at night but that was it.

Thursday both my wife and I had to work so we put her in the kennel and left some water for knowing she had not been feeling well. I was worried about her so I went home around 1 to check on her and she was doing okay. No vomit or anything. Went back to work got home at 5:30 and the kennel was full of vomit(which you could tell was just water and stomach acid) and she was pushed as far back away from it as she could. Cleaned her up gave her a bath cleaned the kennel and house. Still hadn't ate since Wednesday after noon so going past 24 hours.

This is where it really gets scary. Later in the night she drank some water and within 20 mins of drinking it threw it all up violently. It reminded me of a drunk person when they puke and it just doesn't stop. So I said that's it we're going to an emergency vet. Took her in got her xrayed and you could see there was something blocking her stomach and possibly blocking the small intestine. So we had two options, surgery or iv fluids to help push it and maybe it would pass through. So we went with the fluids first to see if that would work, because we really didn't want to put her through surgery and this was a much much cheaper option. We had to leave her at the emergency vet last night which was one of the hardest things, seeing he in the kennel and just getting so excited to see you and you can only tell her good bye and walk away for the night. (Can't imagine how kids are gonna be lol). So we got a call at about 3 am saying the radiologist had looked at the xrays and said she needed to be operated on right away.

She went into surgery this morning at 7 am and was out at 11:30 am. They eneded up finding some green tennis balls (the outer part of it) and she has a rope toy as well, she must have chewed a strand of that off because that was tying everything together blocking the stomach and small intestine. She is in recovery now and the wife and I are going to go see her tonight at 9:30. One of the scariest moments to go through not knowing if she's gonna make it out not.

Learned a very expensive lesson on rope toys and tennis balls. She is a little monster who chews and swallows everything! Just thought I'd share my experience with your guys and gals.
    This must have hurt your wallet as well?

Quote Originally Posted by davidtheman100
    This must have hurt your wallet as well?
    pretty much just paid for a used car. You can put it that way.

Blog Entries

Jesus...Gotta do what you gotta do though...If it were my dog i wouldn't be able to live with any other alternative other than paying...Hopefully your dog gets better soon...

Dog= mans best friend

Quote Originally Posted by davidtheman100
    Jesus...Gotta do what you gotta do though...If it were my dog i wouldn't be able to live with any other alternative other than paying...Hopefully your dog gets better soon... Dog= mans best friend
    absolutely. It ended up being 4500 so far for the surgery that's not talking any of the fallow ups or anything. No matter if it were 1000 or 10000 id figure out a way to get it done.

bloodchoke is offline Member
    Worth every penny! (I know you agree.)
    I'm happy she's okay.
    BG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodchoke
    Worth every penny! (I know you agree.) I'm happy she's okay.
    thank you sir. And without a doubt.

manstrom is offline New Member
    Damn bro, Luckily our close calls never ended in a trip to the Pup ER.

Between our three, an East German bloodline German Shepherd (bigger frame, more drive, and bred for Schutzhund/military dogs), a Dutch Shepherd (same bite/strength in a smaller, more energetic, brindle colored package) and my wife's lazy hound mix (he sleeps and eats anything in range... nothing more or less through his day), we've had a ton of random household items get eaten.

The most impressive one so far was her hound crapping out rainbow colored feces (rope toy fibers) linked together by one of the wife's hair ties...

FotoBlast is offline New Member
    Thanks for sharing this. A lot of people don't know how bad those poly rope toys can be. My pit is a bit of s gnawing kind of girl. So I try and use natural bones. When they get boring I refill them with peanut butter.

Everyone loves peanut butter and always has it around
    manstrom likes this.

manstrom is offline New Member
    If you live near a butcher or a meat locker you can always see with they have extra cow leg bones... we'll snatch a couple for cheap and boil them to get the meat and crud off... the dogs love them. Unfortunately, my Dutch shep chews his down to a stub in the matter of a day or two.

Just a update for the thread. We got her back Saturday night from the vet!! Very happy to have her back of course not back to her wild self but that's acceptable with what she all went thought. They have her on pecid ac and also tramadol for the pain. The first night back she kept peein in her sleep because of the tramadol would pretty much knock her out poor thing! In 10 to 14 days we go back and she gets her staples out! Can't be any more excited to have her back!

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just a update for the thread. We got her back Saturday night from the vet!! Very happy to have her back of course not back to her wild self but that's acceptable with what she all went thought. They have her on pecid ac and also tramadol for the pain. The first night back she kept peein in her sleep because of the tramadol would pretty much knock her out poor thing! In 10 to 14 days we go back and she gets her staples out! Can't be any more excited to have her back!
    Aw poor girl....good and glad she's home though.

Said she will recover fully??

Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80
    Aw poor girl....good and glad she's home though. Said she will recover fully??
    yeah she will make a full recovery! There's the poor little things shaved tummy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pet owners-image-2110641356.jpg  

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Wow. What a weekend! I am sure she's glad to be home.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat
    Wow. What a weekend! I am sure she's glad to be home.
    very crazy and emotional weekend for sure lol! This is my first dog but wife has had a few growing up. I know understand and get people when they say they're their pets mom or dad. It's a real connection without a doubt.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I just saw a vid on fb of a dog crying after being reunited with her puppies. Gosh it made me tear up.

Mitch535 is offline Junior Member
    My wife and I can't have children. So... we have a dog. She's also a German Shepherd, and she's 2. Her name is Georgia. Best friend I've ever had. She used to be a very destructive pup and we've had a few late night vet visits due to swallowing mishaps, but we've got her trained out of that behavior. We put her through training to get her AKC Canine Good Citizenship certification just to establish a foundation, but most of her training has just been us working with her. We have a 13 acre farm in North Georgia, and she has become quite the work dog. I am glad to hear your pup is home and recovering well. Anyone with a lot of experience with GSDs will tell you that there's not much they can't destroy, and it is very hard to find suitable toys for them. Good luck to you and your pup!

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    yes ^^^ the only toy I have found that my dog doesn't tear to shreds in minutes is the black Kong toys they are expensive as hell but they are nearly indestructible

Thread Information