• 1 Post By Kimbo Almond
  • 1 Post By Kimbo Almond
  • 2 Post By Capebuffalo
  • 3 Post By balance

Thread: My Hands

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man

My Hands

My mother wrote a description of the things her hands had done once. It was a life story from the point of view of her hands. I read it and probably said something disconcerting about it, because I was a teen and reacted in the way teens do, pretending the fact that it was moving was somehow boring etc.

She told me, "When you are my age you may want to write about your hands every decade or so."

So here it goes...

My hands were seen as a clasped ball in an old ultrasound. They were large like my fathers. My hands were glad to find my mother and could not reach around my fathers finger.
    I am sure he stared at my hands at some point after I was born and was proud that they were identical to his.
    My hands grew in good conditions. Good enough conditions I had scarred them up well beyond most boys in my tinkering stages. They learned things at a young age most today will never know.
    My hands learned work at a young age. They developed upon this fact, very stong and very articulate.
    My hands have squeezed a lot of triggers, butchered many animals, caught many passes, welded, turned wrenches, stretched wire, milked cows, cut thousands of acres of trees, built many things, and been beaten and broken.
    My hands have done good and bad things. They have held the hands of people as they drew their last breath and my children as they took their first.

My hands are aging quickly. They are arthritic and my knuckles have known the sting of cortisone. My hands have developed habit. They have failed many times but never quit. My hands have been cursed by my brother and praised at times.

They will always be ready to protect and provide. They are at full service to someone deemed worthy and in need. My hands have been a life saver for a few and a thump for others. Hurting some mornings, I have to work them to get the blood flowing.

My hands are soft for one woman, and a firm handshake for a new acquaintance. Dirt under the nail unless I have just clipped them, I have held millions of pounds of wood from hitting homes from many feet above. My hands are perfect though I am not. They are a blessing for many and try their best.

These hands know love, like a father his son. They have known hate and anger nearly as well. My hands will get more scarred, more arthritic, stronger for a time. They will age into something more, but mechanically less.

My hands are and are not a lot of things, but they always tell the truth. May the things I do with them be just as honest.

Kimbo Almond is offline Banned
    I wanted to write a poem about shame, guilt and condemnation, and so I used the idea of having dirty hands.

This poem is supposed to be spoken in the first person by the person responsible for the Chernobyl disaster.

-

My name is Vikoli
    And I am responsible for what happened

We were testing the fourth reactor
    And I disabled the safeties
    We wanted to see if the turbines
    would still run in a power outage

Two dead at the scene
    Four dead within a day
    Thirty-one dead in the first 3 months
    Six thousand cancers within a year
    An estimate of 4,000 deaths in total

Four thousand people
    -- that's twenty thousand litres of blood
    That's how much blood I have on my hands

I've washed my hands with soap,
    with turpentine, with oxidizing
    and deoxidizing bleach
    They're still not clean

I dug a flower bed by hand
    and made a snowman
    My hands still aren't clean

Valium, Zanax, Codeine, Vodka
    My hands still don't feel clean

I've wandered into temples,
    mosques, churches,
    ashrams and fetish parties
    in search of an emotional bleach
    No matter what I chant,
    No matter where I pray,
    No matter who I fuck,
    My hands still don't feel clean

I'm due to see Dr Rowan at 2 today
    I saunter into the room and open with,
    "Have you ever done MDMA-assisted psychotherapy?"
    She leans back and begins "Well...."
    until I interject sharply with,
    "You're doing it right now"

I chose to tell her that day
    that I was very badly damaged by devestation
    (perfectly understandable considering what I caused)

Dr Rowan must have told Derek
    because Derek didn't seem at all surprised
    when I showed up off my face
    for counselling on Thursday

By the way, an addiction counselor
    will never send you away
    for showing up high
    Don't ask me where he pulled this trick from
    but he told me to give
    the nuclear plant back
    to the Universe,
    which didn't seem a bad idea
    when blasted on molly

So I did, I gave it back
    Now I live in the naturist town
    Cap d'Agde in France
    and I make balloon animals
    out on the street while
    I busk on my guitar
    singing David Gray

Ich liebe mein Leben

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    Just shut up Sil... Dont!!!.... No no no... Go prepare a meal or something. Sil.... I warn u!!!

Sent fra min G3311 via Tapatalk

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    That’s a great read Obs. Really makes you think about your life and what you have done. I see where you get your descriptive writing from.

Kimbo keep you shit to your own threads please. Why would you feel it necessary to post that here except the need for attention.
    Old Duffer, Cowboymike and Obs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    That’s a great read Obs. Really makes you think about your life and what you have done. I see where you get your descriptive writing from.

Kimbo keep you shit to your own threads please. Why would you feel it necessary to post that here except the need for attention.
    At least he posted. Total silence is worse than bulliying.
    I red the prisoners in Assads torture chambers actually looked forward to the daily one hour torture. Just to leave the totally dark quiet cell for a while.

Kimbo Almond likes this.

Cowboymike is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    My mother wrote a description of the things her hands had done once. It was a life story from the point of view of her hands. I read it and probably said something disconcerting about it, because I was a teen and reacted in the way teens do, pretending the fact that it was moving was somehow boring etc.

She told me, "When you are my age you may want to write about your hands every decade or so."

So here it goes...

My hands were seen as a clasped ball in an old ultrasound. They were large like my fathers. My hands were glad to find my mother and could not reach around my fathers finger.
    I am sure he stared at my hands at some point after I was born and was proud that they were identical to his.
    My hands grew in good conditions. Good enough conditions I had scarred them up well beyond most boys in my tinkering stages. They learned things at a young age most today will never know.
    My hands learned work at a young age. They developed upon this fact, very stong and very articulate.
    My hands have squeezed a lot of triggers, butchered many animals, caught many passes, welded, turned wrenches, stretched wire, milked cows, cut thousands of acres of trees, built many things, and been beaten and broken.
    My hands have done good and bad things. They have held the hands of people as they drew their last breath and my children as they took their first.

My hands are aging quickly. They are arthritic and my knuckles have known the sting of cortisone. My hands have developed habit. They have failed many times but never quit. My hands have been cursed by my brother and praised at times.

They will always be ready to protect and provide. They are at full service to someone deemed worthy and in need. My hands have been a life saver for a few and a thump for others. Hurting some mornings, I have to work them to get the blood flowing.

My hands are soft for one woman, and a firm handshake for a new acquaintance. Dirt under the nail unless I have just clipped them, I have held millions of pounds of wood from hitting homes from many feet above. My hands are perfect though I am not. They are a blessing for many and try their best.

These hands know love, like a father his son. They have known hate and anger nearly as well. My hands will get more scarred, more arthritic, stronger for a time. They will age into something more, but mechanically less.

My hands are and are not a lot of things, but they always tell the truth. May the things I do with them be just as honest.
    I’m such a fan of your writing... I swear you need to write a compilation book.. with pieces like this in it... just all your writings compiled into one book... I’d own the digital, hardcover, paper back and the special leather wrapped bound first edition that must be signed... you have a way with words brother.
    balance, Obs and Kimbo Almond like this.

Obs

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboymike View Post
    I’m such a fan of your writing... I swear you need to write a compilation book.. with pieces like this in it... just all your writings compiled into one book... I’d own the digital, hardcover, paper back and the special leather wrapped bound first edition that must be signed... you have a way with words brother.
    Thanks you guys.

You both have some great stuff too. Similar minds of people that work wirh their hands I suppose.
    Capebuffalo and Cowboymike like this.

Obs
    Attachment 176421

You see the drooping skin around my middle and ring knuckles?

It is fused to the bone on my ring ring finger from european smartasses I caught.
    Cowboymike likes this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    You're a wonderful writer Obs.

I admired my grand-father's hands as a child. He was a bricklayer. Big & thick hands (called them mitts back in the day). I always thought those are what defined a man & they formed a large part of my work ethic.

Even if your hands can't lift one day Obs, they can still transfer your thoughts and ideas to paper. You have a gift.
    Cowboymike and Obs like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    You're a wonderful writer Obs.

I admired my grand-father's hands as a child. He was a bricklayer. Big & thick hands (called them mitts back in the day). I always thought those are what defined a man & they formed a large part of my work ethic.

Even if your hands can't lift one day Obs, they can still transfer your thoughts and ideas to paper. You have a gift.
    I will be using one of those Stephen Hawking things by then lol
    Thank you prox I appreciate that
    Proximal and Cowboymike like this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    I will be using one of those Stephen Hawking things by then lol
    Thank you prox I appreciate that
    But, you will have YOUR mind.

My pleasure Obs, it was sincere.
    Cowboymike and Obs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AR's King Silabolin View Post
    At least he posted. Total silence is worse than bulliying.
    I red the prisoners in Assads torture chambers actually looked forward to the daily one hour torture. Just to leave the totally dark quiet cell for a while.
    I hear they had one day without torture and the prisoners were pounding on their cell doors demanding stimulus
    Cowboymike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboymike View Post
    I actually think you should do this too. Start a document on Google Docs and start copy-pasting your stuff over. I do my poetry book on Google Docs.
    Cowboymike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo Almond View Post
    I hear they had one day without torture and the prisoners were pounding on their cell doors demanding stimulus
    Yeah exactly. So i dont see why Cape adressed u like a child

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Quote Originally Posted by AR's King Silabolin View Post
    Yeah exactly. So i dont see why Cape adressed u like a child

You may want to go back to your castle. No one even you has posted there in a week.
    Obs and Cowboymike like this.

You may want to go back to your castle. No one even you has posted there in a week.
    Thats because im occupied with the v aliant summercycle. We re also rebuilding the Castle Great Hall walls and roof. As you commented yourself, the Castle hasnt been upgraded since 1695.

balance is offline Associate Member
    Great read Obs. You have a gift with writing. Hands say much about people without speaking a word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cowboymike, Obs and Proximal like this.

Thread Information