Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Beetlegeuse
  • 1 Post By BG

Thread: Japanese-American vet of vaunted 442nd Regimental Combat Team turns 100

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

Japanese-American vet of vaunted 442nd Regimental Combat Team turns 100

The 442nd Regimental Combat Team was an almost entirely (2nd-generation) Japanese-American unit that fought in the European theater of operations during WWII. It fought all the way from the invasion of Sicily to the battle of Po Valley and was the most decorated unit of its size, not just in WWII but ever. And (not surprisingly) their casualty rate also was off the charts.

Japanese American WWII vet reflects on service, luck, loyalty as he turns 100 in Seattle

Edy Hideyoshi Horikawa cheated death so many times during World War II that the U.S. government assumed he had been killed in action.

The young soldier from Seattle was severely wounded during a bombing in Bologna, Italy. German troops nearly destroyed the hospital in France where he was being treated. And once a bomb went off on the side of a hill, the impact burying Horikawa in dirt.

Others saved him each time. After the Italy shelling, he wound up in a hospital with no one he recognized; he was there for a month. As German troops shot at the hospital in France, a soldier ran outside, commandeered a passing cargo truck, backed it up to the building for Horikawa and others to jump in, then high-tailed it halfway to Switzerland. After the hillside bombing, troops dug him out of the dirt.

“When I hear that, I think someone wanted him to live long, someone wanted to protect him through,” said his wife, Norigiku Horikawa. “I said to him, ‘Thanks to the mighty God and the people around you, people always helped you.'”

In early August, his family and friends helped again — this time to throw him a 100th birthday party, roughly 75 years after the end of the war that should have killed him....

If you'd like to hear Mr Horikawa telling his own war stories, follow this link.

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    I hope some day they have stuff like this written about me when I turn 100. I might actually reach that age coz I only do light stuff nowadays (mostly Var).

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    This breed of men is dying off quickly these days.........end of an era.
    almostgone likes this.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    This breed of men is dying off quickly these days.........end of an era.
    Yep. Not many with that level of character and internal fortitude left.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Yep. Not many with that level of character and internal fortitude left.
    Bravery comes in many forms, some less obvious than others. I would imagine, for instance, that foster caring takes great bravery -- some say that it is 'God's work'.

Thread Information