TheStromba is offline Associate Member

Same Syringe Mixing Proceedure

I have found some excellent posts and websights that show injection proceedure. I still have a few questions. I am thinking about mixing deca \test in the same syringe.

Do I have to change needles when drawing from each vial as not to contaminate the 2 liquids ?

Is there a proceedure to injecting air into the second vial when there is already liquid from the first in the syringe ?

Thanks

righton is offline Senior Member
    All i do is once i draw from 1 vile, i draw a little more air into the barrel. Push the 2nd vile over the needle and inject the air into the vile until the bubbles stop, then draw in the oil. Then all you have to do is change to a new needle. I'am not really concerned about cross-contamination cause your going to use it all anyways.

Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator
    don't change needles. don't bother injecting air. you shouldn't need to if the needle is large enough. switch the larger pin for a smaller one when you inject into yourself.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Not necessarily . . .

Originally posted by Dr.Evil
    don't change needles. don't bother injecting air. you shouldn't need to if the needle is large enough...
    I must respectfully and cordially disagree with my esteemed colleague, whose practices of this may be customary in secret volcano lairs, but not necesssarily in the mainstream. Any instructional resource will tell you that you should inject air, especially when working with larger vials (such as 10 ml vials of test).

Here is the procedure for a mixed injection. Keep in mind that you should never mix types of substances - mix only oil-based solutions or water-based solutions, never oil and water based solutions together in the same syringe.

Let's say that you want to inject 1 cc from Vial A and 2 cc's from Vial B. (Yes, I know that a 3 cc injection is big, and no, I wouldn't recommend one if you can avoid them. But for the purposes of this illustration, we'll use round numbers.)

After wiping the rubber stoppers of both vials with alcohol, pull 3 cc's of air into your needle. Inject 2 cc's of air into Vial B, but do not pull any solution from it. Then inject the other 1 cc of air into Vial A and draw in 1 cc of solution. Finally, reinsert the needle into Vial B, into which you injected air earlier, and draw your 2 cc's of solution into the needle.

You do not have to change needles when moving from one vial to the other. Presumably, you are using two vials that are yours - that is, not only do you not share the needles, you also do not share your gear.

Remember that when you inject the air into each vial, the vial should be upright and you're insertingt the needle downward. When you are ready to draw the solutions into each syringe, the vial should be upsiade down, with the needle near the bottom (actually, the inverted top) of the vial. The only thing you have to remember is, do not push the first solution into teh second vial - yes, some people do that by reflecx when they first stick a needle through the rubber stopper, so you have to consciously think about what you're doing so you don't accidentally push when you should pull, which would result in the solutions being mixed with each other in the vial rather than the syringe.

This is a technique that diabetics have used for many years to mix insulins (such as a diabetic that shoots, say, "X" units of regular insulin and "Y" units of NPH or Lente insulin.) No big whoop, as long as you remember that oil and water do not mix.
    Last edited by TNT; 04-13-2002 at 04:12 PM.

Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator
    hmmm interesting. i've always associated injecting air as a way of generating enough pressure inside the bottle so that it would make drawing the oil easier... then again tnt is the one in the medical profession and not me, so trust what he says.

why would you not put oil and water in the same syringe?

Thread Information