Ajax is offline Senior Member

Do the Health benefits of AS Outweigh the Negatives?

We hear a lot about scientific studies about the negative side effects of AS; people (friends, the media, etc.) are quick to throw these facts in our face.

But what about the long-term benefits? Could it be possible that the benefits outweigh the negative and what we are doing might be, on the whole, healthier for us?

I am not talking about massive use of AS: being ?on a cycle? year-round and taking large doses nearly continuously. (Too many competitors seem to have pushed their body?s TOO hard and done damage rather than long-term benefit; I am thinking Dan Duchaine and the Metzner?s for example.)

What I am talking about is somebody that does 1-2 moderate cycles a year--or less--primarily to keep in top physical form.

I have to believe that the average ?moderate? AS user has to be in better shape and in better health than the average person (read: ?couch-potato?) and therefore less likely to succumb to the chronic diseases that plauge our society today as a whole: obesity, heart disease, lung cancer, diabetes, etc.

There are studies out there that show the use of AS does have beneficial effects of health: increased LBM, lower fat levels, increased bone density--all of which reduce the chances of succumbing to chronic health problems.

Add to that the fact that AS motivates people to stay in good physical shape, eat well and exercise, we should be way ahead of the curve healthwise and have better than average long-term health prospects.

Well, what do you think?
    Last edited by Ajax; 04-08-2002 at 11:03 PM.

androplex is offline Donating Member

deleted by sender

deleted by sender
    Last edited by androplex; 04-19-2002 at 09:15 AM.

gettinthere is offline Associate Member
    Well there are really two sides to how aas can benefit you healthwise and you are more or less looking at it all in one light...(i'll understand if that doesn't makes sense to you, but try and follow me!) One side is the actual benefits like better bones, less fat (some say thats bs), increased lbm, etc... Most of these are also benefits of just working out and staying in shape period. Then there are the more general health benefits that cannot be directly attributed to aas, but to living an active healthy life in general. Most aas users are obviously not going ot be couch potatoes but its not because of the aas, its because they're driven people to begin with. I personally can't believe that two people who workout and do cardio just as much as the other will be just as healthy as the other if one is using even a moderate amount of aas. My guess would be that the non aas user will be healthier (and smaller!) in the long run. But compared to the third person who doesn't lift/excercise and doesn't eat clean, then both of the other people will be a lot healthier in the long run.

Does anyone follow that? It's late and I've been more articulate in my life!

NightOp is offline Member
    yes, i know what you mean gettinthere... however alot of this is pretty generalized... imean some people are going to have problems (short or long term) with cycles that the majority is relatively ok with as well as some people can prolly handle heavy AAS use and be ok while most people cant. I think it all depends on the cost vs. benefit and the specific drugs involved.... I'm all natural and plan on stayin that way but if i do choose to take the plunge it will be the safest thing I can put together (prolly primo/var/low test)... The things that would scare me about AAS use is long term organ damage or cancer (prostate), and damaged test production naturally... once again its all gonna depend on the person, drugs, and doses.......

JP1570 is offline Senior Member
    Life's a game of tradeoffs. As Bill Maher (pompous prick but pretty funny anyway) once said, "I'd rather 60 Sammy [Davis] years than 150 Kenneth Star years." I couldn't agree more. Give me 70 years of good health and happiness and I wil die a happy man.

gettingthere;

I know that I mixed a bunch of things up and rolled it into one blanket assertion--and I did that by choice.

AS has some physiological effects for long term health. It also has psychological effects that I see as beneficial as well.

Let me use myself as a case study. I used to lift in my 20's and early 30's, but because of career, traveling, and other factors, I stopped for a few years. Iwas overweight, out of shape, weak (by my standards) and I was starting to suffer from back aches, general aches and pains and depression--all of which was linked to being physically ou tof shape.

I started working out again and, because I am living in a place where 'roids are available OTC, I decided to try them sooner rather than later.

The result was a very quick improvement in MANY areas; I felt better about myself, I felt stronger and more confident. My workouts showed drastic results--so I was motivated to do more. I jumped in and really re-educated myself on a lot of health and fitness concepts (trends, fads and scientific opinion DO change a lot in 5-10 years!). Getting stronger relieved a lot of my back pain and other aches. I got on my bike and started doing long rides (my legs could pump for hours!) and improving my cardio to keep in balance with my strength gains.

Was that all due to AS? I hope not--I would like to think that my will and determination playted some role in the transformation! But I also believe that AS really did help me get 'over the hump' and get in shape quicker--and staying is shape is a LOT easier than getting in shape--that's for damn sure!

So a person's drive to be better is a psychological attribute--but AS can (and in my case did) play a catalytic role in shifting the psyche ot a more healthy lifestyle.

Maybe the psychological aspect is more apropos for the 'older crowd' but I wanted to get everybody's opinion on the 'mixed bag.'

Androplex/JP: I agree; it's all about quality of life. I would rather live 60 Sammy Davis years....

Bump

I would have thought that the opinionated folks here would have a lot more to say.

johndope is offline Associate Member
    yes but still what, are moderate cycles, everyone planning a cycle is planning on doin it better, so dosages are almost always upped, up to a point that specific dosage is concidered normal.

So my question is, what is normal?

IN general i think if u live smart eat right workout right, and ocasionnaly do a cycle it can be pretty ok.

Thread Information