Seattle Junk is offline Anabolic Member

kidney probs in gf

My gf just got back from the doc, she's been going to this older mid 50's lady for close to 6 months. She's getting a lot protein in her urine. The value went from 25 or something to 100 from a month ago. The doc keeps saying she doesn't know what's wrong and keeps asking for tests. This is getting ridiculous because she is giving her no idea of what it could be so she doesn't know a preventative program to work with. She is only 24 years old (almost 25), normal to slender build (5'7", 110lbs) and seems healthy except for this. If she keeps getting increased protein in her urine samples this seems like some kind of disorder, right? Does anybody have any ideas of what could be the problem. She doesn't work out on a regular basis and her diet could be better but it's not horrible. She hardly works out, maybe 2-3X a month.

She doesn't drink that often and she doesn't do anything that would make her kidneys malfunction to the best of my knowledge. I'm always on her about diet but she has a fast metabolism so she still thinks she can eat what she wants.

try uping her water in take to atleast 1 gallon a day and i'm very positive her test relutls will quickly improve, unless knock on wood she has a more serious problem. best of luck bro.

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    I would be trying a different site or information page... this has not one thing to do with roids and you are talking to gym rats not doctors(for the most part both former and latter)

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    I would be trying a different site or information page... this has not one thing to do with roids and you are talking to gym rats not doctors(for the most part both former and latter)
    You're right but I've found a lot of intelligent people here. I'm mainly looking for real life experiences from people that have had kidney problems or have known somebody that has. Real life experiences is the best info that I know of.

My personl doc is a few years younger than me and he is by far the best doctor I've ever had. Very open minded and knows modern medicine and still researches new techniques. He told me roids are safe if used in a correct dosage with proper diet, nutrition and training. Now that is factual info that makes sense in the real world.

jinos is offline Member
    There's a lady here at work who has the same problem and later found out it was her glands( something like that in the throat area) producing more protein than usual. She ended up getting kidney stones and had surgery for that. Maybe the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by armwrestler22
    try uping her water in take to atleast 1 gallon a day and i'm very positive her test relutls will quickly improve, unless knock on wood she has a more serious problem. best of luck bro.
    Yeah, I've been pounding on her to drink water ever since this came up. I don't think she drinks a gallon a day but I told her to yesterday. I told her that is a lot of water so plan it out. She maybe drinks half a gallon? She is stubborn and probably thinks she's fine cause she looks ok. But I told her she needs to pay attention to this stuff cuz you don't want to have this problem for the rest of your life if it's preventable now. I've had far less health problems than her over the last 5 years since I've know her and I'm a 36 year old buzzard.

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    this is a tough one, bro. i'm guessing that the doc tested her protein via dipstick and that she test 2+ (going from the 100 mg/dL). the reason that the doc is asking for more lab work is that this test is not very specific as to what the disorder or disease may be. reasons for the proteinuria may be anything such as hypertension, infection, diabetes, lupus, nephrotic syndrome, glomerulonephrosis and other intrinsic renal diseases. benign reasons for proteinuria are getting the urine tested after exercise, fever, and orthostatic proteinuria (protein in urine is elevated when patient is standing and not when in a supine position). the reason that the doc can't suggest any preventative strategies is due to the fact that proteinuria is a symptom and not a disease. the cause of the proteinuria needs to be determined. increasing water consumption may not necessarily correct the proteinuria because if the gf does in fact have some type of renal disorder, extra water won't stop protein and albumin from spilling out into the urine. the easiest way to explain proteinuria is that there may be some type of inflammation or disorder preventing the functional units of the kidney from holding onto protein. its almost as if something is 'punching holes' in the kidney and the protein is spilling out. i highly suggest the gf following up with more tests. this is not something to ignore. if everything tests out fine, then perfect. but its better to make sure there is no serious reason for the proteinuria. good luck and keep us posted. i'm interested in finding out what transpires.

Quote Originally Posted by sinista63
    this is a tough one, bro. i'm guessing that the doc tested her protein via dipstick and that she test 2+ (going from the 100 mg/dL). the reason that the doc is asking for more lab work is that this test is not very specific as to what the disorder or disease may be. reasons for the proteinuria may be anything such as hypertension, infection, diabetes, lupus, nephrotic syndrome, glomerulonephrosis and other intrinsic renal diseases. benign reasons for proteinuria are getting the urine tested after exercise, fever, and orthostatic proteinuria (protein in urine is elevated when patient is standing and not when in a supine position). the reason that the doc can't suggest any preventative strategies is due to the fact that proteinuria is a symptom and not a disease. the cause of the proteinuria needs to be determined. increasing water consumption may not necessarily correct the proteinuria because if the gf does in fact have some type of renal disorder, extra water won't stop protein and albumin from spilling out into the urine. the easiest way to explain proteinuria is that there may be some type of inflammation or disorder preventing the functional units of the kidney from holding onto protein. its almost as if something is 'punching holes' in the kidney and the protein is spilling out. i highly suggest the gf following up with more tests. this is not something to ignore. if everything tests out fine, then perfect. but its better to make sure there is no serious reason for the proteinuria. good luck and keep us posted. i'm interested in finding out what transpires.
    Thanks bro, great post. Thank you for the education. Do you work in a hospital?

i'm in between jobs. but yes, i am an assistant professor and i typically have a clinical site at a hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by sinista63
    i'm in between jobs. but yes, i am an assistant professor and i typically have a clinical site at a hospital.
    Your info is much appreciated. What is the subject matter of your site? Can you link me to it or is it intranet? Thanks sin.

sorry... i meant 'site' as in practice site (where i actually work). i didn't mean internet site. i'd give you the address if i had one. but yea, no problem about the information. i'm glad to be of help. just pass along any other questions you may have. you can always pm me too.

Slic4788 is offline Associate Member
    Ok, just running some google searches for ya bro. Here's what I found:

"Diabetic nephropathy is a complication of diabetes. If you have this condition, your kidney loses its ability to function properly. The condition is characterized by high protein levels in the urine."
    http://health.allrefer.com/health/di...osis-info.html

"Hypertension and protein in the urine are two classic symptoms of pre-eclampsia, a condition that only occurs during pregnancy."
    http://www.pregnancy-info.net/QA/ans...g110806542118/

And probably the best one, check with her for all these diseases(proteinuria means protein in urine, and these are all the diseases that results in proteinuria):
    http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/proteinuria.htm

goodluck.

Thread Information