sircharles is offline Associate Member

Dutasteride, Finasteride questions. Couldnt find answers.....

I have done a LOT of reading on here, but havent come to a conclusion on the following questions.

1)Dutasteride is basically a better form of finasteride, correct? (you obviously wouldnt take BOTH right)?

2)Dutasteride doseage: Ive seen a TON of ranges on here, whats the general vote here?

3)I havent started my first cycle yet, and my hair has been progressively getting thinner, and more brittle. Im gonna try minoxidil + dutasteride + Nizoral shampoo + supp (Folic Acid). Do I need to start this stuff BEFORE my cycle or can I wait until after my PCT?

Lastly, and probably most importantly,
    4)Is it safe to take for years in a row, or do you need to take a break or cycle it?

ps: If you think finasteride would work better, chime in, its a hell of a lot cheaper.

[edit] Think this might be in the wrong forum
    Last edited by sircharles; 10-23-2006 at 04:58 PM.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sircharles
    I have done a LOT of reading on here, but havent come to a conclusion on the following questions.

1)Dutasteride is basically a better form of finasteride, correct? (you obviously wouldnt take BOTH right)?
    You do not want to take both. I take Dutasteride

2)Dutasteride doseage: Ive seen a TON of ranges on here, whats the general vote here?
    Normaly dosage is .125mg each day. Some take more some even less.

3)I havent started my first cycle yet, and my hair has been progressively getting thinner, and more brittle. Im gonna try minoxidil + dutasteride + Nizoral shampoo + supp (Folic Acid). Do I need to start this stuff BEFORE my cycle or can I wait until after my PCT?
    You should have started it 6 months before since it takes time to "kick in." I started it the same time as my cycle and am going to stick with it for a year or two and see if it helps. I tried the minoxidil and trust me that $hit gets old really quick. It drys my scalp and makes my hair greasy.

4)Is it safe to take for years in a row, or do you need to take a break or cycle it?
    Yes, you can stay on it for years. Its almost just like propecia and people live their lives with taking that.

ps: If you think finasteride would work better, chime in, its a hell of a lot cheaper.
    Hope this helps.

I was getting a lot of the info from The Sentinals response in Baldness in future!

Have you found a replacement for the minoxidil or are you using something in its place?

NOREGRETS is offline Senior Member

1)Dutasteride is basically a better form of finasteride, correct? (you obviously wouldnt take BOTH right)? Duta is better, see no reason to take both.

2)Dutasteride doseage: Ive seen a TON of ranges on here, whats the general vote here? 0.5mg ED.

3)I havent started my first cycle yet, and my hair has been progressively getting thinner, and more brittle. Im gonna try minoxidil + dutasteride + Nizoral shampoo + supp (Folic Acid). Do I need to start this stuff BEFORE my cycle or can I wait until after my PCT? Do a test run with the minoxidil before you buy bulk, alot of ppl get several dry scalp and rash. Everything looks good, I would through in a once a day aspirin and Biotin Forte 1-3mg ED.

4)Is it safe to take for years in a row, or do you need to take a break or cycle it? No break necessary. I've was on fina for years and duta for about a year now. You will be more prone to libo sides with duta.

ps: If you think finasteride would work better, chime in, its a hell of a lot cheaper. Fina works fine, but duta will works better.

[edit] Think this might be in the wrong forum
    From my experience.

lifterjaydawg is offline Senior Member
    I hear dutasteride works well but you do have to stay on for a long time before you start to see a difference.

Noregrets - Did you mean libido sides? How much of a loss have you experienced and were they present w/finasteride?

Lifterjaydawg- From what Ive read, its like the finasteride. You go through a few month period of it 'kicking in' and then 6-8 months later, the results are noticeable. Could be wrong :/

skipp is offline Senior Member
    I saw results quick with duta, and I take it @ .05mg/day. The reccomended daily dose for MPB is .125mg. No need to go above that IMO, maybe .25 on cycle.

This might be a dumb question, but is this stuff ok to use before you really can see MPB? Im noticing warning signs of a fading hair line, but looking at me you cant tell.

lifterjaydawg is offline Senior Member
    6-8 months before you notice anything sounds about right. Everyone is a little different. The guy I know that uses it had some troubles. He used it for about 6 months and didnt notice a thing. Then he got frustrated and stopped taking it. Not realizing that he needed to be on it longer. Then he went back on stayed on for a full year and he really likes it. Works great but once you start you can't stop.

I noticed results (along with people who didn't know I was taking it) within 3 months. It worked great...

And yeah, you can use it before it's REALLY needed. It's actually better to use before.

ive done a lot of research on the two.
    dutasteride ride has higher chances of sides, and it is recommended that you start with finasteride.
    i have started using minoxidil + azleic acid combo, along with finasteride and a drop in libido has occured, also an increase in shedding ( which is supposedly a good sign ).
    there are other topical solutions that are deemed better when on cycle, such as using nizoral, spirolactane etc. as minoxidl takes a while to work.

Noregrets - Did you mean libido sides? How much of a loss have you experienced and were they present w/finasteride? Sorry, yeah libido sides. The 0.5mg of duta is my on cycle (test) dose, it's safe to take that dose. If you prone to hair loss, I would go with a stronger dose then the standard mpb dose IMO. I lost about 1/4 of my hair before starting finastreride and roughly maintained it since, with minor loses during cycles.

Lifterjaydawg- From what Ive read, its like the finasteride. You go through a few month period of it 'kicking in' and then 6-8 months later, the results are noticeable. Could be wrong :/
    Hope this helps.

DHT is much more active in the crown of the head and prostate, so of coarse with such a harsh dose you'll have a lack of drive.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skipp
    DHT is much more active in the crown of the head and prostate, so of coarse with such a harsh dose you'll have a lack of drive.
    which is why i take a little under what is considered the "normal" dosage. My family has MPB so i am just trying to slow the precoess. Once i get to a certain point, its buzz time. I am sure we all have better things to worry about like growing muscle

Quote Originally Posted by skipp
    Depending on his cycle, this should not be a problem.

Thread Information