RBD85 is offline Anabolic Member

Question Muscle stamina/endurance questions...

Ok so why is it that I can lift heavy at first but then my second or third set im so much weaker where as when im training with other people they continue to do close to the same amount of reps as the previous set?

For instance I was working out with some other guy at the gym doing shoulder presses, we warmed up then he put on 205 and got it 8 times. I put it up 15 times with ease. I usually dont go that high with reps usually about 6-10 reps but the outome is always the same. Our second set he does 205 again and gets it 6-7 times I do it and struggle at like 6-7 reps. 3rd set he does 185 for 8 and i struggle with like 5. last set 135 i get it 9 he gets it over 10.

I always get a bad lactic acid buildup but i dont know how to stop it or slow it down. If anyone could shed some light as to what I could do maybe train differently or fix this give me your 2 cents!

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    How long are you resting between sets?

Manorexic is offline Associate Member
    rest longer.... my shoulders kill me from l.a. buildup.... so i just take longer rests between sets and it works everytime for me.....

usually I rest at least 3-4 mins in between sets. As of this week i have been resting only 1-2 mins because i thought this would help my stamina/endurance

even so though when i worked out with this other dude we rested the same in between sets

I hate lingering around the gym doing nothing so it would be nice not having to rest 5-10 mins in between sets just to get a decent workout

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    you dont have enough muscle glycogen stored in the muscle, hence you can lift it for 1 set. YOur partner seems that he has more endurance in his muscles.... here are some things u can do depending onyour goals... (strength? Mass? in good shape?)
    A) rest more, it has already been said... rest more and stretch/massage ur muscles tha u are trying to work
    B) go lighter for the first set and concentrate on gettin all of your reps, even if u can get 15 on a set of 8, just do your 8 and really concentrate on getting the next set and such... the endurance will come in time...
    C) instead of doing 205 for your sets, do 185 and rep out sets of 12 w/ the same amount of rest... this will help build up some endurance, w/o tiring you to the extreme... i know when i do my hi rep workouts (sets of 15,30) when i go back to doing the max reps (like 5,3,2,1) i cant do as much weight but i'm not tired at all when i'm done i can easily do 3 or more sets but not as hi of weight
    D) rest longer and do a core lift in ur rest period like abs or stretch or something
    E) BREATHE! i know this sounds dumb, but if you breathe properly you will have less lactic acid build up...

VTliftVT is offline Associate Member
    I found that sipping on BCAA's such as Xtend during a workout greatly increases my endurance in the gym. It's also great to have around during a cutting cycle to help keep that LBM. I sip on it all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonada8 View Post
    you dont have enough muscle glycogen stored in the muscle, hence you can lift it for 1 set. YOur partner seems that he has more endurance in his muscles.... here are some things u can do depending onyour goals... (strength? Mass? in good shape?)
    A) rest more, it has already been said... rest more and stretch/massage ur muscles tha u are trying to work
    B) go lighter for the first set and concentrate on gettin all of your reps, even if u can get 15 on a set of 8, just do your 8 and really concentrate on getting the next set and such... the endurance will come in time...
    C) instead of doing 205 for your sets, do 185 and rep out sets of 12 w/ the same amount of rest... this will help build up some endurance, w/o tiring you to the extreme... i know when i do my hi rep workouts (sets of 15,30) when i go back to doing the max reps (like 5,3,2,1) i cant do as much weight but i'm not tired at all when i'm done i can easily do 3 or more sets but not as hi of weight
    D) rest longer and do a core lift in ur rest period like abs or stretch or something
    E) BREATHE! i know this sounds dumb, but if you breathe properly you will have less lactic acid build up...
    good stuff I will try these out... for this u get boobies enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by VTliftVT View Post
    I found that sipping on BCAA's such as Xtend during a workout greatly increases my endurance in the gym. It's also great to have around during a cutting cycle to help keep that LBM. I sip on it all day.
    isnt that the stuff they try to sell on late night tv to give you bigger boners!

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    no thats extenze :P

Thread Information