thunderin is offline Member

Thumbs up Save your life and someone else's too

High blood pressure is not discussed much in bodybuilding circles, but it should be as it is very common amongst AAS users. Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to stroke, heart attack, heart failure or kidney failure.

Buy a blood pressure cuff and monitor it daily whilst cycling. It can easily go as high as 160/100. How to lower it without meds? Phlebotomy or donating blood. A donation of 450mL can lower both systolic and diastolic pressure by 10 or more.

Common symptoms can be headaches, dizziness, seeing stars after lifting, red-face and nausea. But, some people never show these symptoms.

Please donate regularly. It could save your life and someone else's too.

BTW, I donate every 45 days, if not more frequently to keep my BP in check whilst cycling.

High blood pressure or hypertension is high pressure (tension) in the arteries. The arteries are the vessels that carry blood from the pumping heart to all of the tissues and organs of the body. High blood pressure does not mean excessive emotional tension, although emotional tension and stress can temporarily increase the blood pressure. Normal blood pressure is below 120/80; blood pressure between 120/80 and 139/89 is called “pre-hypertension”, and a blood pressure of 140/90 or above is considered high blood pressure. The systolic blood pressure, which is the top number, represents the pressure in the arteries as the heart contracts and pumps blood into the arteries. The diastolic pressure, which is the bottom number, represents the pressure in the arteries as the heart relaxes after the contraction. The diastolic pressure, therefore, reflects the minimum pressure to which the arteries are exposed.
    Blood pressure is the force in the arteries when the heart beats (systolic pressure) and when the heart is at rest (diastolic pressure). It's measured in millimetres of mercury (mm Hg). High blood pressure (or hypertension) is defined in an adult as a blood pressure greater than or equal to 140 mm Hg systolic pressure or greater than or equal to 90 mm Hg diastolic pressure.
    High blood pressure directly increases the risk of coronary heart disease (which leads to heart attack) and stroke, especially when it's present with other risk factors.

An elevation of the systolic and/or diastolic blood pressure increases the risk of developing heart (cardiac) disease, kidney (renal) disease, hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis or arteriosclerosis), eye damage, and stroke (brain damage). These complications of hypertension are often referred to as end-organ damage because damage to these organs is the end result of chronic (long duration) high blood pressure. Accordingly, the diagnosis of high blood pressure in an individual is important so that efforts can be made to normalize the blood pressure and, thereby, prevent the complications. Since hypertension affects approximately 1 in 4 adults in the United States, it is clearly a major public health problem.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Good advice...............

mick86 is offline Member
    I just got one of those blood pressure measuring devices, I bought it from a local pharmacy. Useful post, thanks.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Very useful, many people ignore such an easy test to take and such an important health issue. Use of AAS could elevate blood pressure with increased water retention or other factors, even not using AAS you could still have high blood pressure without knowing or having any symptoms.
    Walmarts and Wlagreens sometimes have the free chair u can sit on and get a free test, so if its free why not take it every chance u get!!

Dado5 is offline Associate Member
    When i was on first cycle last year my BP was 161 over 100 and HR was 124 just relaxing and not doing anything.
    No headaches or dizziness.
    Donating blood is great thing

LATS60 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderin View Post
    High blood pressure is not discussed much in bodybuilding circles, but it should be as it is very common amongst AAS users. Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to stroke, heart attack, heart failure or kidney failure.

Buy a blood pressure cuff and monitor it daily whilst cycling. It can easily go as high as 160/100. How to lower it without meds? Phlebotomy or donating blood. A donation of 450mL can lower both systolic and diastolic pressure by 10 or more.

Common symptoms can be headaches, dizziness, seeing stars after lifting, red-face and nausea. But, some people never show these symptoms.

BTW, I donate every 45 days, if not more frequently to keep my BP in check whilst cycling.
    Good post. That why it's called the silent killer, first thing most ppl know about HBP is a stroke or heart attack. I bought an omron a few years back and found i had an average reading of 160/95 went as high as 176/109, i now take an aspirin 300mg ED, my BP is now on average 148/82.
    Giving blood helps, but how long before your body replaces whats been lost, i think it's a matter of hours and you can't give blood ED.

Pac Man is offline Senior Member
    Excellent read, on that note what are the rules about donating while juicing?

Quote Originally Posted by LATS60 View Post
    how long before your body replaces whats been lost, i think it's a matter of hours and you can't give blood ED.
    How much blood is taken — won't it make me weak?
    A blood donation equals approximately one pint of blood. The average adult body has 10-12 pints. The vast majority of people will not feel any different because of the donation. A very small percentage may experience temporary dizziness, but some rest and fluids will help you feel better quickly. Your body will replace the lost fluid within 24 hours.

How often can one give blood?
    Regulations in the United States allow people to donate whole blood once every 56 days. The waiting period between donations can be different for other blood components. For example, donating only platelets in a process called apheresis requires only a 3 day wait before a person can give again. Donating two units of red blood cells through a similar process doubles the waiting period to 112 days.
    One unit of blood = 325mL

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Excellent read, on that note what are the rules about donating while juicing?
    As far as I know this is a grey area. However, bear in mind that most AAS will speed recovery of the receiver of the donated blood.

For more information, please visit the Red Cross:
    http://www.givelife2.org/donor/faq.asp

whiteronniewannabe is offline Junior Member
    I was made aware that giving blood after a cycle or in the middle of a cycle was just as bad as giving a blood donation whilst taking recreational drugs suc as cocaine etc. Is this not the case? (advice by british nurse)

I am not saying this is mine opinion or one I believer but just for clarity for other sceptical readers.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteronniewannabe View Post
    I was made aware that giving blood after a cycle or in the middle of a cycle was just as bad as giving a blood donation whilst taking recreational drugs suc as cocaine etc. Is this not the case? (advice by british nurse)

I am not saying this is mine opinion or one I believer but just for clarity for other sceptical readers.
    Why were many AAS created? To help speed recovery of patients after major surgery or trauma.

Any medical personnel who would compare cocaine to AAS is a complete.....

mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member

When I'm on cycle my face turns red. The guys who I work with remark to me.. " are you mad " " are you ok " " Man, you look all red.. it looks like you are going too explode...lol..

Thanks... next time I will probably donate some extra blood..

Thanks...

Maldorf is offline Senior Member

Great advice here. Also, donating blood will bring down your hematocrit level. Many aas can raise your hematocrit, concentration of red blood cells in your blood, to dangerous levels. This can cause blood clots that can kill you.

Thread Information