system admin is offline Owner

Exclamation Highschool Steroid Testing - Steroid.com

Texas High-School steroid testing program - Information found by Steroid .com

I hate to say I told you so….
    In 2007, a bill was signed to begin wide-spread steroid testing in Texas High-Schools. I predicted that it would be a failure, and a waste of money…and it was, with 10,000 athletes being tested and only 4 positives being found.

Firstly, it was a stupid idea because they randomly tested athletes from all sports. Great job, steroids are really rampant in cross-country running and golf. Random testing is stupid - why test a cross-country runner when there is a 250lb linebacker sitting in the class next to him? But I guess things had to be fair (and stupid)…

Programs that test for steroids (or other drugs) don’t stop people from using, they just catch them. The statistics show that this is true across the board. So, now, predictably, the guy who put this testing program into place is claiming that it was a success (only 4 positives, so it must have been acting to deter use), and his opponents are saying that it was a failure (there were only 4 positives so it’s not even a big problem).

Below is some excerpts from the letter I sent to the people who instituted the testing program, over a year ago…I hate to say I told them so, but….I did (and in truth, I didn’t think they were going to take me seriously, but I wanted to get something on record, so when their program failed, I could say I told them so!):

Here is the letter sent:

DECEMBER 6, 2007
    Sir-

I realize that my e-mail address may be off-putting. But let me assure you that I come to you with the best of intentions…regarding the proposed 3 million dollar steroid testing program that is about to be implemented, I’m curious as to why this program would serve to deter athletes from steroid use .

I understand that the program is meant to stop the use of steroids in high school athletes, but statistically, other deterrent methods to prevent drug use by testing doesn’t seem to work, and again (statistically), even the death penalty does not serve as a murder-deterrent.

Speaking as someone who has researched anabolic steroids for a decade, I don’t know if anything in the literature would suggest that testing programs work to deter athletes. This particular program actually seems likely to have the opposite effect, as statistically, now athletes know that only 3% of them will be tested (if I’m reading the press release properly). Those odds are in favor of the athletes who will choose to cheat, and now they know it - in my humble opinion.

Again, I’m opposed to steroid use in high-school athletes (and non-athletes). I feel that this warrants repeating, at the risk of seeming redundant.Thank you for your time and consideration, and I hope that we can work together in some capacity to keep high-school athletes off steroids.

bodybuilder1107 is offline Senior Member
    yeah there football teams are more important to them than there kids they have nfl pressure put on them they wouldnt test there ace quarterback anyway and if he did fail it would not make it out to press or anyone who could ban him ill bet on that

system admin is offline Owner

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    That was a 3 mill dollar program! That's a ridiculous waste of money, put in place by people with backwards logic.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    haha, why are you posting from a-rob blog? to piss him off, lol.

I went to a prep-boaring high school where if they suspected you of rec drug use it wasn't uncommon for them to drug test. It worked very well, nobody wanted to call their mom and explain they're suspended and need to go to re-hab before they can come back to school. Then, fail another drug test and get expelled.

I got caught drinking and got suspended and my parents were not too happy about it. I spent 3 days at home and it was hell, was happy to go back to school.

SpiderRico is offline Member
    if they didnt look just like ben afflack from that hbo special why would they test them anyway because thats what it really looks like when you are on juice duhhhh

Thread Information