greavesy1984 is offline New Member

why the need for steroids?

ok, im only on this forum due to some research im undertaking for my current masters degree assignment on the physiological effects of steroids on sport performance. Due to being from an applied science training background with special interest with regards to strength and conditioning im very interested to know why people use steroids ? first of all let me just say i am an avid workout fan myself and always have been. i too am into having a great ripped physique with shredded abs etc. however with my educational and CPD background i KNOW it is possible to have all this without the use of steroids /AAS and YES still able to get very big indeed. In fact i believe alot of the use stems from people not making the gains in which they are striving to achieve. Just a quick look around this forum and there is some awful advice (in tems of its scientific practical application). I am not having a go at any of you guys but i also have friends who are into all this and their training (exercise, reps, sets, nutrition, recovery) is flawed from the very start. There is way way WAY too much incorrect information at peoples disposal via the internet and magazines. I urge you all to save your steroid money and undertake university level modules in the science of training (saving your long term health is great too). please dont come back with my usual friends response of ''yeah but ronnie coleman does this coz it says in flex''. Ask yourself this, if you was the best bodybuilder, worlds strongest man etc etc would you give away your training regime to someone who may have a gentic advantage and thus overtake you? I WOULDNT.

any advice on bodybuilding or general questions Edited

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    If you were on here just to ask "why people use steroids ", you would not then go into a diatribe on "why we should not use steroids ".

Im not sure what your agenda is, but if it were up to me, this thread would be locked and you would be banned.

If you were so well versed on exercise and steroid supplementation, you would know that AAS use can take you well beyond your natural genetic potential. While not everyone waits until they reach their genetic potential to take AAS, it is recommended on this site over and over.
    Last edited by Bossman; 01-22-2009 at 05:19 AM.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    You are undertaking masters and you type i not I? Can you show me any studies done on long term effects of aas? fyi I have never cycled, yet. When I reach my limit I will. Your reason behind why someone would take aas has more to do with todays society wanting the quick fix.

Although there is some bad advice, the amount of people that come on here with bad proposed cycles, only to be told the safest way far exceeds that of bad advice. Please bring to my attention the horrible advice given herewithin? As I can assure you, nothing you could say would be the ideal way to train as everybody is different and everyone needs to learn how their body reacts to different program's.

LATS60 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greavesy1984 View Post
    ok, im only on this forum due to some research im undertaking for my current masters degree assignment on the physiological effects of steroids on sport performance. Due to being from an applied science training background with special interest with regards to strength and conditioning im very interested to know why people use steroids ? first of all let me just say i am an avid workout fan myself and always have been. i too am into having a great ripped physique with shredded abs etc. however with my educational and CPD background i KNOW it is possible to have all this without the use of steroids /AAS and YES still able to get very big indeed. In fact i believe alot of the use stems from people not making the gains in which they are striving to achieve. Just a quick look around this forum and there is some awful advice (in tems of its scientific practical application). I am not having a go at any of you guys but i also have friends who are into all this and their training (exercise, reps, sets, nutrition, recovery) is flawed from the very start. There is way way WAY too much incorrect information at peoples disposal via the internet and magazines. I urge you all to save your steroid money and undertake university level modules in the science of training (saving your long term health is great too). please dont come back with my usual friends response of ''yeah but ronnie coleman does this coz it says in flex''. Ask yourself this, if you was the best bodybuilder, worlds strongest man etc etc would you give away your training regime to someone who may have a gentic advantage and thus overtake you? I WOULDNT.

You would urge...................... get on with your life and i'll get on with mine, you seem to have no idea about AAS's, so you're the last person to be advising us on what to do.
    Hope i got this in before the lock.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Oh dear, your a retard lol, and your english isnt up to much. You need to educate yourself and does your mother know your on this site..

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    Thats a good one MAD keep up the good work

No answer? I gotta go to bed, Hope this is locked when I get up.
    And hope greasy1984 is banned (I purposely spelt your name wrong)
    Your supperior bodybuilding knowledge prob has you tipping the scales @160pounds.
    I bet you thought you were going to come on here and bash a bunch of uneducated meatheads.

ur a ****ing idiot

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Guys, internet trolls have been around as long as there have been forums, and the unspoken rule has always been "please don't feed the trolls". They post in a manner as to instigate a negative response, when they are simply ignored they move on to the next board.
    To the OP, please forgive my delayed response, my freakishly large hand-hoofs that have resulted from years of harmonal abuse makes typing a bit invonvinient, and I have trouble reaching the keyboard until my handler removes my feed bag.

BritishColumbian is offline Senior Member
    LOL @ Big, brilliant!

Thunder Monkey is offline Junior Member
    "why the need for steroids ?"

Because my penis is too large and steroids make it smaller.

TM

Thank you auslifta for the reply regarding ''quick fix''. Yes it is a very good point. So is that of going beyond the genetic limit. With regard to my point about bad advice i was meaning in terms of general training such as reps, sets, nutrition, exercise etc etc. not about the amounts, cycling, stacking of steroids etc. My point there links in with the quick fix, as people dont attain maximum results due to the flaws in nutriton, reps, sets, recovery etc. EXAMPLE; i read on one of the posts a guy asking for between set recovery time in order to maximize hypertrophy, replys stated between 2.30mins and 4.00mins, when in order to produce a hypertrophy effect the energy system needs to be exhausted over a period of sets. The energy system in question would be the ATP-PCr system which replenishes in 3-5minutes post activity. Thus in order to produce a progressive taxation of the system, the recovery time needs to be less than this. In fact, the between set recovery time that produces the most hypertrophy is 45-60secs.

ok ok, so poeple want to have a go at me. then lets see.

THOSE THAT HAVE POINTED OUT MY SPELLING MISTAKES HAVE MADE MISTAKES IN WRITING A REPLY HAHAHAHA.

AUSLIFTA ''You are undertaking masters''

MADMATT ''isnt''

disappointed in the hostile response on here, alot of users on here seem to get very angry very quick? you would lock this thread and me for questioning why people use it. grow a pair. (points for spotting the two quips in the last two sentences).

oh and how much are people spending on steroids and drugs to counteract steroids adverse effects? weekly, monthly? so i can get a rough idea.

Big
    Sorry, but we don't allow specific price discussions as those often lead to source discussions. I can tell you that from my experience the most costly aspect of this lifestyle is a good diet.

chuckt12345 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    less that it would cost to eat and grow naturally to get to the same point. My time is more valuable than anything so if i can get to were i want to be in 3 months as opposed to 3 years ill save a boat load of money.
    Honestly if you get on here and read you'll realize that this board is way better than just goin at it alone without the use of the internet.
    If your really about gettin info for a paper id be more than helpful but if your on here to troll or get people to your site good luck.

oh didnt know sorry. well if diet is the most expensive then your buying some seriously cheap stuff / some seriously expensive protein sources.

chuckt12345, im a masters student and im currently in the middle of an assignment on steroid use with regard to the 100 metre event (my chosen event) so ive got loads of peer reviewed papers etc, covering physiological effects and psychological. Was just on here to get some feedback from actual users.

chuckt12345 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    chuckt12345, im a masters student and im currently in the middle of an assignment on steroid use with regard to the 100 metre event (my chosen event) so ive got loads of peer reviewed papers etc, covering physiological effects and psychological. Was just on here to get some feedback from actual users.
    Cool,, im sure if you ask your questions on here in a positive/neutral manner youll get great answers. You gotta be careful because this is a very defensive forum and people will be quick to snap back.

List some questions.
    ps there are many threads about track atheletes and what is best for speed etc.

xcalibur990 is offline New Member
    i think power and mad said it all..lmao

oh didnt know sorry. well if diet is the most expensive then your buying some seriously cheap stuff / some seriously expensive protein sources.
    If you've been researching, you would already know this. And, your're asking for prices on cycling/PCT. Obvious troll. You have not a clue.

Like I said, I don't buy it. There have been similar posts in the past that were much more authentic.

Ban this A$$hole!!

CGB6810- ive been researching its effects with regards to physiological and psychological effects in the scientific domain, not how much people pay for it. muppet.

CGB6810- ive been researching its effects with regards to physiological and psychological effects in the scientific domain, not how much people pay for it. muppet.
    Originally Posted by greavesy1984 View Post

Then why did you say this, Twink?

Wouldn't that lead the reader to believe you know what AAS costs?

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ok, im only on this forum due to some research im undertaking for my current masters degree assignment on the physiological effects of steroids on sport performance. Due to being from an applied science training background with special interest with regards to strength and conditioning im very interested to know why people use steroids ? first of all let me just say i am an avid workout fan myself and always have been. i too am into having a great ripped physique with shredded abs etc. however with my educational and CPD background i KNOW it is possible to have all this without the use of steroids /AAS and YES still able to get very big indeed. In fact i believe alot of the use stems from people not making the gains in which they are striving to achieve. Just a quick look around this forum and there is some awful advice (in tems of its scientific practical application). I am not having a go at any of you guys (it seems like you're having a go) i also have friends who are into all this and their training (exercise, reps, sets, nutrition, recovery) is flawed from the very start. There is way way WAY too much incorrect information at peoples disposal via the internet and magazines. I urge you all to save your steroid money and undertake university level modules in the science of training (saving your long term health is great too). please dont come back with my usual friends response of ''yeah but ronnie coleman does this coz it says in flex''. Ask yourself this, if you was the best bodybuilder,(don't you mean "if you WERE" the worlds strongest man?) worlds strongest man etc etc would you give away your training regime to someone who may have a gentic advantage and thus overtake you? I WOULDNT.

You seem to have all the answers bud, and it looks your mind is already made up with regards to steroid use . Your paper is already flawed because of your preconceived notions that steroids are not needed to achieve certain size and strength goals. The facts are that anabolics give you an edge an array of areas, from strength to recuperation and if used properly can have plenty of positive advantages. You won't find anyone on here who advocates using them without a strong training background, an understanding of the role of dieting or who believes they are a magic bean. Opinions are like a** holes...we all have one and they stink.

Go rent Bigger, Faster, Stronger and maybe you'll see just how villified the use of anabolic steroids has become in this country.

Good luck
    Last edited by SampsonandDelilah; 01-22-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Edited, as I mentioned, no prices...

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    There are more than enough people on this board who would answer your questions if you ask them politely without the condescending overtones. Any time someone new comes on and tells people that his/her way of doing things is the correct way and the members of this community (or any "user") is just taking short cuts, will of course, elicit negative response.

Please re-read your original post and you can see why people fire back. While doing so, keep in mind that MANY members on this forum have PhD's in verious backgrounds, some in medicine, pharmaceuticals and yes, even nutrition. Remember this while your doing your research for your 'Masters'

however with my educational and CPD background i KNOW it is possible to have all this without the use of steroids /AAS and YES still able to get very big indeed.Edited

Gym Freak is offline Junior Member
    What aggravates me more then anything is someone with a formal education and no real world experience giving advice on training, diet and such. You are working on your masters degree which I give significant props too. But please don't come on this board giving advice on things in which the only thing you know in reality is what you have been taught on a formal class setting. I respect the knowledge, but knowledge without any personal relevant experience is useless to me. From my personal experience and formal education, real world experience and book-classroom knowledge are very rarely accurate and on the spot with regards to the real world.

Now to answer your question, AAS are performance enhancers. That's basicly it in a nut shell. But without proper training, diet, recovery then you are waisting your time, effort, and money.

It's like drag racing. You can take any vehicle and race it like it came from the factory. Or you can modify it to travel that same distance in a quicker time which inevitably is the key. Now without the proper tuning of the engine, i.e. A/F ratios at idle, part trottle, and WOT throttle, Timing, proper gear ratios, chassis and suspension tweeking then all of your time effort and money won't do crap. It all has to work together to be safe and fast to get a winning combination. Now you can race with a stock vehicle but that gets old real quick. And it will only get you to point B at a set slow rate.

Do you get my point now? Now traveling faster has it's dangers, but it can still be done safely if all safety precautions are taken. By the way what does the cost of AAS have to do with the educational aspect of your paper? There are more important issues that need to be discussed as opposed to what Joe blow spends on a bottle of Deca .
    Last edited by Gym Freak; 01-22-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Edited.
    Didn't Big already warn you about price discussion? You should have enough sense to read the FAQ before you randomly post in any forum.

run_n_fool is offline Associate Member
    Greavsey,

I do not buy your story. Either you are a troll, or you are a poor academic. I think the former. As an academic, one must strive to be scientific and objective. If one is trying to be truly objective, they do not show their natural bias, especially when conducting "research" and collecting facts, which you purport to be doing. Your bias is painfully obvious. The arguments you present seem to be to be very elementary, as if you were still a high schooler writting a paper for Health class or something.

gym freak. since my original post i have tried to be diplomatic however the negative reaction is still on going and has yet not diffused. your drag car analogy i agree totally, in my original post i point out that peoples basic nutrition, sets, recovery time etc could be improved greatly and that they have their drag cars using cheap fuel, oil, air filters etc and have whacked a turbo on it. I believe people need to have all the fundamentals to their car in check and modified before putting a turbo on it as they may even be happy with the effects of just the fundamentals alone.

Gym Freak is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by run_n_fool View Post
    Greavsey,

I do not buy your story. Either you are a troll, or you are a poor academic. I think the former. As an academic, one must strive to be scientific and objective. If one is trying to be truly objective, they do not show their natural bias, especially when conducting "research" and collecting facts, which you purport to be doing. Your bias is painfully obvious. The arguments you present seem to be to be very elementary, as if you were still a high schooler writting a paper for Health class or something.
    Very good point. The point of any paper is to show no bias but only present all the facts and let the reader make there own concious decisions about what you have laid out on paper, "objectively."

yes i get the point about price discussion i was showing where i got the question from by replicating the figures from a published book.

Big
    Quote Originally Posted by run_n_fool View Post
    Greavsey,

Exactly. I have personally helped with legitimate research in this field, however as I initially stated trolls post in a manner that will instigate a negative response, and you continue to do so. You goal is not research, it's reaction.

people on here post about being subjective and several posts later about being objective so whatever i post gets shot down from one side of the fence or the other. None of the discussions on here will be included in my paper, as it obviously has to be from a peer reviewed paper/case study. This was suppose to be research of additional information from a real world perspective.

gym freak. since my original post i have tried to be diplomatic however the negative reaction is still on going and has yet not diffused. your drag car analogy i agree totally, in my original post i point out that peoples basic nutrition, sets, recovery time etc could be improved greatly and that they have their drag cars using cheap fuel, oil, air filters etc and have whacked a turbo on it. I believe people need to have all the fundamentals to their car in check and modified before putting a turbo on it as they may even be happy with the effects of just the fundamentals alone.
    If you spent even a small amount of time on this site, you would see that; diet, exercise, workout history, age, supplementation are requested before advise is given to a poster. Because this is an open forum, sometimes, the answers come before the questions, but that is the standard protocol.

Big
    I have grown weary of you. Please contact Admin of this site if you wish to conduct academic research at our expense, if Admin gives me the go-ahead I will allow your posts. From this point forward until I hear from Admin I will close or remove your posts.

Thread Information