orbitz21 is offline Junior Member

Smile Runner needs advice

Hey all, i'm new to this site and haven't used yet. I'm 31 5'9 205lbs. I'm in decent shape but i wanna get more lean. Here's what i need help with. I'm an active runner. I run 20-25 miles a week and i'm training for a marathon. I also workout regularly but i wanna stay around my weight but get much leaner. Can anyone help me with a right cycle for me and my goals?

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz21 View Post
    Hey all, i'm new to this site and haven't used yet. I'm 31 5'9 205lbs. I'm in decent shape but i wanna get more lean. Here's what i need help with. I'm an active runner. I run 20-25 miles a week and i'm training for a marathon. I also workout regularly but i wanna stay around my weight but get much leaner. Can anyone help me with a right cycle for me and my goals?
    i can tel you with all that high intensity training you will be cannablizing alot of muscle tissue.. cant be a BB and a marathon runner at the same time.. i love that line

(1*) is offline Member
    if you are training for a marathon then i would say that you shouuld not cycle. you will loose muscle and fat due to the long and constant running.

(1*) is offline Member
    take a lot of glutamine and protien

doctorclaus is offline Associate Member
    dud you dont need to cycle..... unless you want to sprint a mile like a cheetah... I remember my cardio 2 miles in around 10 mins ha.... had to stop that ppl at the gym looked at me weird..

jfalco is offline Member
    For marathon running you'll want to shed a bunch of that weight.

I'm an inch shorter than you and I was 128 when I was training for a marathon. I was putting down great training times at that weight. Did several 20 mile plus training runs at about a 3:30 pace, so I was hoping to put down a 3:15 and qualify for Boston. Unfortunately an injury kept me from training for almost 2 months before the race and I gained 10 lbs. 10 lbs heavier made it much harder and I barely broke 4 hours.

At 128 I was by far the fastest guy in my training group of about 200 people. On marathon day about 10 of these people who I was smoking in training put up better times than me.

Trust me, drop weight for the race and gain it back later. Every pound you have to carry in endurance sports makes a big difference.

orbitz21 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the advice but i should mention that I run just for fun, I'm trying to just train for a marathon at just a decent pace. I workout just as much as i run but can't seem to get lean. I'm trying to get rid of some love handles. Is there anything that i can take at small dosage or is there an alternative supplement that can help?

doctorclaus is offline Associate Member
    yes its called stop eating bread and bad carbs for 2 weeks and eat 6 times a day and you will start to notice changes, cheat once a week so you dont go crazy

Click-Boom is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz21 View Post
    I was talking to a trainer about putting on some muscle mass, but my trainer told me that I have to stop running to damn much... I'm currently running 35miles a week, 7miles a day, 5 days a week.

I went from 218 to 191, in 3 months.

Trainer was telling me that I'm going to be burning quite a bit of muscle mass, with all the cardio that I'm doing... Looks like I'll have to cut back like you, in order to put some muscle mass on.

(1*) is offline Member
    your muscle is being used for energy because is breaks down easier than fat. when you run so much you become catabolic and began to eat away at the muscle. stop running all together, clean up the diet and continue to lift. your handles will go away.

jfalco is offline Member
    When you get closer to marathon condition, you won't be able to help shedding pounds. Just keep training hard.

For those of you who don't know, marathoners eat while they run to avoid canabalizing muscle. I have never done more than 12 miles w/o eating during run. Usually I would start eating at about 10 miles and then eat every 30-45 minutes after that.

(1*) is offline Member
    i couldn't imagine eating while running that distance.

jfalco is offline Member
    i couldn't imagine runnig that distance with out eating.

Thread Information