Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Please critique back/bi workout

I'm just returning after a long layoff (I had shoulder surgery Oct 2008). I've been back in the gym for about 3 months. Can you guys please critique my back/bi workout? I will be doing all exercises 3x8-10. When I hit 10 reps on all 3 sets I will increase the weight the next workout week.

1. Seated cable rows (use straps when needed)
    2. Wide grip lat pulldowns to the front (use straps when needed)
    3. Close grip lat pulldowns (v-bar) (use straps when needed)
    4. Seated dumbbell curls or Seated dumbbell hammer curls
    5. 4 way neck machine (front, left, right, back)

I don't do any iso rear delt work because I feel the rear delts get hit enough with the row and pulldowns. I can't do deads because of an old back injury. I don't do shrugs because I feel the traps get hit enough with the row and pulldowns and the lateral raises and overhead pressing I do on my chest/front,side delt/tri day.

A couple questions:

1. How does this back/bi workout look? Too much? Not enough? Exercise selection? Order of exercises? Sets and reps?

2. Is it absoloutely necessary to do BOTH wide and close grip lat pulldowns? Can I just do one or is it better if I do both?

3. What is the difference between wide and close grip lat pulldowns? Does one hit the lats better than the other? I heard wide grip hits upper lats better and close grip hits lower lats better, is that true? If you were only going to do one, which would you do wide or close grip...and why?

4. Will doing this workout work my rear delts sufficiently or is it absoloutely necessary I add some iso rear delt work (ex. bent over lateral raises)?

5. With all the pulling I'm doing, is it even necessary to do the curls or will my bis be getting worked enough from the row and pulldowns?

Thanks fellas and happy new year to you all.

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    wrong forum bud. post it in the workout forum.

Moto

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn View Post
    I'm just returning after a long layoff (I had shoulder surgery Oct 2008). I've been back in the gym for about 3 months. Can you guys please critique my back/bi workout? I will be doing all exercises 3x8-10. When I hit 10 reps on all 3 sets I will increase the weight the next workout week.

1. Seated cable rows (use straps when needed)
    2. Wide grip lat pulldowns to the front (use straps when needed)
    3. Close grip lat pulldowns (v-bar) (use straps when needed)
    4. Seated dumbbell curls or Seated dumbbell hammer curls
    5. 4 way neck machine (front, left, right, back)

I don't do any iso rear delt work because I feel the rear delts get hit enough with the row and pulldowns. I can't do deads because of an old back injury. I don't do shrugs because I feel the traps get hit enough with the row and pulldowns and the lateral raises and overhead pressing I do on my chest/front,side delt/tri day.

A couple questions:

1. How does this back/bi workout look? Too much? Not enough? Exercise selection? Order of exercises? Sets and reps?
    I would add another rowing exercise such as bent over BB rows, or DB rows, back is a big bodypart. Possible alternate, with T-bar rows every other week

2. Is it absoloutely necessary to do BOTH wide and close grip lat pulldowns? Can I just do one or is it better if I do both?
    I do both, hits different areas.

3. What is the difference between wide and close grip lat pulldowns? Does one hit the lats better than the other? I heard wide grip hits upper lats better and close grip hits lower lats better, is that true? If you were only going to do one, which would you do wide or close grip...and why?

Yep, lower and upper, do both.

4. Will doing this workout work my rear delts sufficiently or is it absoloutely necessary I add some iso rear delt work (ex. bent over lateral raises)?

Everyone is different. My rear delts grow well from my back workouts. I still do rear laterals on shoulder day though.

5. With all the pulling I'm doing, is it even necessary to do the curls or will my bis be getting worked enough from the row and pulldowns?

You should do bi's on a separate day. The back workout will pre exhaust your bis so you can't lift as heavy when you do them later in the workout. For maximal bicep growth, hit them on a dedicated day.

Thanks fellas and happy new year to you all.
    Im sure this will get moved, but Ill put in my 2c. In bold above.

Thread Information