JScondition is offline Member

Helpful Injection techniques?

I am in the medical profession and while giving injections to IM sites, we often use 1 of 2 different techniques to keep the medication from coming back up the injection "track" if you will.

I was wondering if anyone has used these in their pinning regimen.

1) z-track method
    - used for injections of irritating substances.
    - technique reduces pain, irritation, and staining of the injection site
    method: after choosing and preparing the site for injection, use your nondominant hand to pull the skin laterally and hold it in this position while giving the injection. Insert the needle at a 90 degree angle, aspirate and check for blood, then inject meds slowly. After injecting the meds wait 10 seconds before withdrawing the needle. Withdraw needle and maintain angle. Release the skin immediately after withdrawing the needle to seal off the injection site. This technique forms a Z-shape track in the tissue that prevents the meds from leaking through the more sensitive subcutaneous tissue from the muscle site of injection.

2) air lock method
    method: After withdrawing the desired amount of med in the syringe, withdraw an additional .2ml of air. Be sure to inject using a 90 degree angle. The small air bubble that follows the medication during the injection may prevent the medication from leaking through the needle track into the subcutaneous tissue.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I've used the Z track before, but in general, I've never really had a problem with the medication leaking out.

Also, I've found it helps to keep the pin in the muscle for a few second after I've finished the injection

Valac is offline Member
    i use z method all the time or close to what you've described

Thread Information