Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bbh90 is offline Junior Member

am i overtraining?

iv been feeling like i have a bit less energy as i go throughout the week and its almost like each day i feel a little less energetic as i go through my 5 day routine

although i havnt had a platue in strength and work outs are goin good i feel like maybe im overtraining also im starting to notice maybe slightly less of a pump than before and i recently upped my carbs so that shouldnt be the case a very very slight difference but i have noticed

its more a feeling of being less enthusiastic or something im def not losing interest in lifting just thinking maybe if i took an extra couple of days off this week i will reap bigger gains in the long run what do you guys think?

also iv been keeping all my work outs to only 40-45 mins but they are intense i get a lot done in that time but i still feel like with 40-45 min workouts i shouldnt be overtraining iv been sleeping at least 8 hours upped cals recently and carbs i could possibly be feeling sluggish from the extra food

but whats you guys take?? and also what should i do to combat this? just take an extra day or two off this week? i hate taking time off so my first approach is usually to try and get a couple nights of around 10 hours of sleep but its been hard to stay alseep that long recently for some reason

any ideas?

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Sometimes just taking a little while off can be a good thing. If you're not feeling it take a week off and see if it does it for you.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnstHatAngst View Post
    Sometimes just taking a little while off can be a good thing. If you're not feeling it take a week off and see if it does it for you.
    This ^^

I can go hard for around 8 weeks, then I take a week off and come back better.

cro
    cro is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    week? i dont no many that take a week off.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansm View Post
    Typically when motivation for me starts lacking then over training is a possibility. You can try a deload week, or take time off all together.

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    just make sure to keep up with your diet on your off days!!

Quote Originally Posted by ryansm View Post
    Sure plenty do. I usually just deload, but every once in a while a week off is fine.
    ya a week off every 8-12 weeks is normal for me too

iv only been back in the gym either 5 or 6 weeks though so i shouldnt be overtraining iv been training very intense though

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    usually just a day or 2 off will refresh me

Daz H is offline New Member
    Hi bbh90,

I do 2 days on and 1 off, I do a loading phase for 5-6 weeks, then I do a deloading phase for 2 weeks at 70% weight same reps. every 2nd phase I take a full 7 days off. I find on the 5th and 6th week my strenght starts to fail me on reps, but after the deloading phase and when I start loading i'm able to crank up that wight each week again. You can't continue to up the weight each week for too long, as your system can't keep up. Give it a try m8, see what you think, Good Luck.

arizona32 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz H View Post
    Hi bbh90,

I do 2 days on and 1 off, I do a loading phase for 5-6 weeks, then I do a deloading phase for 2 weeks at 70% weight same reps. every 2nd phase I take a full 7 days off. I find on the 5th and 6th week my strenght starts to fail me on reps, but after the deloading phase and when I start loading i'm able to crank up that wight each week again. You can't continue to up the weight each week for too long, as your system can't keep up. Give it a try m8, see what you think, Good Luck.
    Agree..I switch off between 4-6 weeks for each training system, change to lower intensity and occasionally have time of just rest. No one can push hard forever. That being said, everyone is different. I've had training partners that could lift heavier for longer periods of time and keep making gains. Doesn't work for me. I respond best to short intense training with lots of rest. I have read that it depends a lot on your genetics, particularly your proportion of fast twitch/slow twitch muscle fibers. That seems consistent with my experience. I am an ectomorph with more fast twitch and do better with intense workouts then rest. It seems like the guys I know who are naturally more bulky do better with high volume workouts for longer periods of time, more times a week. Gotta find what works for you.

superdave1980 is offline Junior Member
    I go 2 on 1 off 2 on 2off. What Daz said is exactly what works for me. Except I make changes to my workout in different ways at week 6 for me than the deloading phase, but workout routines differ form one to another in terms of what your body responds best to. If I'm spinning my wheels or just not feeling it. I take time off. About a week then make some changes to the routine. I always feel bigger more pumped and like progress is being made.

layeazy is offline Banned
    i find consecutive days help then you get a routine to fit around your life...

Train how the body feels we are not machines..

goinglong is offline Junior Member
    I used to overtrain years back and I would have the classic symptoms (inability to sleep, decrease in strength and stamina among other things). I found when I was grossly overtrained, 2 days off was perfect especially if I increased my sleep on those nights by a couple of hours or by catching a nap for a few hours on the off day. These days I implement a mandatory off day once per week the day after a hard lifting day (leg workout) or a long endurance day (8 hour bike or 2+ hour run). Days off make my body feel refreshed and recharged and my mind feels relaxed also. I think of it as a tool gained from years of trial and error regarding what works for my body. I say listen to what your body tells you and your body will love you for listening. As stated above: it is best to stick with your diet during your off days. It will help with your goals.
    Last edited by goinglong; 02-16-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling

X83
    X83 is offline Member
    It would help to know your statistics so we can give appropriate advice.

Stats:
    Weight
    Body Fat
    Years Training
    Previous Cycles

age 20
    height 5 10
    weight 170
    bodyfat 8%
    years training 7
    previous cycles none

i recently had a bulged disc which forced me to take 3 months off lifting in which i have never done more than a week off since starting lifting so im still gettting back to where i was before the bulged disc

im pretty sure im overtraining im having a problem getting good sleep like i can fall asleep its been taking forever recently though but i just dont wake up feeling real good and i cant seem to sleep for more than 8 hours which iv been trying to combat the overtraining with extra sleep obviously this isnt working lol i just hate taking time off i love knowing i have a day of lifting ahead of me and even on my 2 days off sincei have a 5 on 2 off routine i cant stand the days i dont lift but i think its just gonna take some will power for me to take an extra day or 2 of rest this week i mean im still making strength gains but i do feel like i have a bit less stamina in the gym hard time sleeping less peppy feeling

im just so driven to get back where i was and keep making gains because of the 3 months i had to take off its hard to force myself to take some itme off lol

plus iv been having something strange happen the last 2 weeks iv been upping my cals cuz i was getting super lean at about 168 and i want to keep bulking up to around 180 8% so i added cals but after my first 3 days of lifting this has happened ever week ill get up to about 170-172 the first 3 days then the 4th day im always weighing in lighter like around 168 again i dont really get why this would be since i keep the same diet all week but it never seems to fail

as far as cycling iv def considered it multiple times but if i can get where i want naturally id rather take that route but im not opposed to it either im not sure my goal would be obtainable naturally but i guess well see my all time goal is around 185-190 like 7% ish bodyfat and at my height idk if that is very obtainable naturally im and ecto too which i do enjoy since i can stay lean but i know it will be harder for me to put on mass

dirtybrd is offline Associate Member
    I train Mon, Tues, off Weds, train Thurs, Fri and off the weekend. I also take a week of every three months. The body has to rest as does the mind!

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    What is your workout like?

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Back in the 80s I was a professional cyclist and while attending a cycling seminar run by Polish olympic cycling coach Eddy Borysewicz I was introduced to his method of measuring for overtraining. He would have us measure or waking heartrate while prostate in bed then measure it again a minute later sitting on the bed. By looking for a variation in the usual change you would be able to reliably determine with no machines if you were not fully recovered.

Since then with access to machines in the gym I have used a different method. I use an excersize bicycle where you can do a certain amount of work (wattage) for a certain period of time and then measure the heart rate to determine if the body is tired. By doing this I feel you can get a very good idea of your bodys response to a certain amount of work since your feeling may be subjective your heart rate is strictly physiologic.

goinglong is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Back in the 80s I was a professional cyclist and while attending a cycling seminar run by Polish olympic cycling coach Eddy Borysewicz I was introduced to his method of measuring for overtraining. He would have us measure or waking heartrate while prostate in bed then measure it again a minute later sitting on the bed. By looking for a variation in the usual change you would be able to reliably determine with no machines if you were not fully recovered.

Since then with access to machines in the gym I have used a different method. I use an excersize bicycle where you can do a certain amount of work (wattage) for a certain period of time and then measure the heart rate to determine if the body is tired. By doing this I feel you can get a very good idea of your bodys response to a certain amount of work since your feeling may be subjective your heart rate is strictly physiologic.
    This is similar to how I measure my body's response to training. I choose a hill for cycling or a track (2 mile run) for running. These are no more than a 15 min. effort. Ride the hill or run the track at a HR of 150-155 bpm. Less time up the hill or on the track means I've been doing well. More time up the hill or for the 2 miles on the track mean my body is tired or my training is not going well. As Ffm uses a more controlled environment indoors, his fitness test is probably more accurate.

Thread Information