Taiaha is offline New Member

glucose meter + insulin. confused!!! somebody help!

Hey boys, been reading lot on insulin and love your guys post about insulin so thank you for that, i am just not understanding about taking the glucose meter and seeing what your levels are and then u hit the insulin, what are your levels supposed to be at after taking insulin. couldn't find any post, can someone give me an example about there levels.

thank you for your time Taiaha
    Last edited by Taiaha; 05-19-2012 at 02:27 AM.

swm1972 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Personally I never took blood levels unless I felt I might be going hypo. I started low and ramped up slowly over time so I knew how my body would react to it. Insulin has an active life that spans hours. You could test fine an hour after injection and go hypo an hour later. Depends on the quantity and digestion speed of the carbs consumed. That's what makes this stuff so dangerous. You have to be very disciplined to not harm yourself when using insulin.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Sorry but I have to put my .02 cents in. Unless you are going to compete stay away from slin. It is extremely dangerous. You Mia calculate the dose or being able to get to your food and your in a wold of hurt. Or dead. I have seen it and there are a lot of bad stories. Not worth it IMO. Just want you to be advised.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The whole point of the glucometer is to ensure that you do not become hypogly***ic from the insulin shot.
    An ideal insulin level is ~110mg/dl.
    You want to stay above 90mg/dl for your own safety, as some may become helplessly lethargic around 50-60mg/dl.
    If you're not actually insulin resistant (from diabetes or heavy HGH use), hypergly***ia should not be a concern.

Beastunleashed is offline New Member
    I am type 1 diabetic and I use my meter everyday since I am on a sliding scale: depending on my blood sugar my insulin varies.

Before I go into this, I just want to say and injecting insulin when you do not need is a very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. You run the risk of damaging or even killing off your pancreas( which role is to produce and release insulin) causing you to be permanently dependent on it, or end of in a coma and suffering from brain damage, or even death.
    Sorry but these are the facts!

Now... A normal reading for a completely healthy individual who does not require insulin to regulate there blood sugars is between 4-8 mmol/L( Canadian reading, Im not sure what the US reading is like).

hope that helps.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastunleashed View Post
    I am type 1 diabetic and I use my meter everyday since I am on a sliding scale: depending on my blood sugar my insulin varies.

Before I go into this, I just want to say and injecting insulin when you do not need is a very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. You run the risk of damaging or even killing off your pancreas( which role is to produce and release insulin) causing you to be permanently dependent on it, or end of in a coma and suffering from brain damage, or even death.
    Sorry but these are the facts!

Now... A normal reading for a completely healthy individual who does not require insulin to regulate there blood sugars is between 4-8 mmol/L( Canadian reading, Im not sure what the US reading is like).

hope that helps.
    There is no negative feedback loop with insulin and the pancreas.
    The main threat is just diabetic coma and death.

Thread Information