Elonidas is offline New Member

Is gear for me? Diabetic type 2 with high blood pressure.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums here and was wondering if this is something I should consider or not by experienced and knowledgeable people. First off I am male, 33 years of age I am 5"10 260 lbs. Type 2 diabetic, I am far from slim but I don't look like a couch potato either, I'd like to think I have decent genetics as I am much bigger than the average person considering I haven't really done much weight lifting wise. I've done lots of working out to things such as P90X, I jog daily for 40 minutes, my diet isn't perfect but I don't eat junk food, I need to lose about 50 pounds to be really toned. I have access to a gym as well just hadn't really focused on heavy weight lifting as I was trying to lose fat but after much debate I came to the conclusion that weight lifting with cardio in combination is the best for losing body fat and not just running. I'm willing to get into weight lifting and or keep doing P90X and jogging, I have a very serious interest in becoming in great shape and losing body fat, I've spent 1000$ of dollars on supplements, fish oil, vege greens, phyto berries, BCAA's, vitamins, ect and at the end of the day even with my lifestyle change i've only managed to lose about 80 lbs. I used to weigh 340 lbs and im now 260 but have been at a plateau for almost 10 years. something has to give, I'm motivated, just what I've been doing hasn't been working out too well for me.
    High blood pressure and diabetes type 2 are my only 2 medical conditions I have. Any input is appreciated as to wether or not its a good idea or not for me to get into gear to take things up a notch.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I'm type 1 diabetic
    Yes you can cycle with diabetes if you know how to control your diabetes well
    I would not recommending steroids for you now. With high bf you are at more risks, like estrogen related sides. Steroids also increase blood pressure.
    I dont think you need all those supplements you are spending a ton of money on.
    Your best bet is getting a good diet down.
    We have a nutrition section here. I would post exactly what your diet is
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

ok sounds good thanks, I will take some time tomorrow and post in the nutrition section what it is I eat in a day typically and mention diabetes and see if anyone can pick out some things I'm doing wrong.

mojo999 is offline Associate Member
    Hi Elonidas. For your BP, i suggest tread with care. Monitor your BP religiously as AAS may increase it; but some AAS are notoriously known for BP problems. Watch the sodium, too much = BP goes up; too low = you'll start cramping, that's a bitch when u cant go for 110% workouts ( trust me bro you'll wanna go 100% ) . As always, knowledge is the key. Good luck bro....

BBJT200 is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the -80lbs! More than half way there.
    With AAS and high blood pressure, you will need to watch your BP even more than you do now.
    I'd suggest 6+ months of lifting in the gym before you consider AAS, as well as dropping your B.F. down to around 15% to prevent estrogen related side effects.

Good luck!

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elonidas View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forums here and was wondering if this is something I should consider or not by experienced and knowledgeable people. First off I am male, 33 years of age I am 5"10 260 lbs. Type 2 diabetic, I am far from slim but I don't look like a couch potato either, I'd like to think I have decent genetics as I am much bigger than the average person considering I haven't really done much weight lifting wise. I've done lots of working out to things such as P90X, I jog daily for 40 minutes, my diet isn't perfect but I don't eat junk food, I need to lose about 50 pounds to be really toned. I have access to a gym as well just hadn't really focused on heavy weight lifting as I was trying to lose fat but after much debate I came to the conclusion that weight lifting with cardio in combination is the best for losing body fat and not just running. I'm willing to get into weight lifting and or keep doing P90X and jogging, I have a very serious interest in becoming in great shape and losing body fat, I've spent 1000$ of dollars on supplements, fish oil, vege greens, phyto berries, BCAA's, vitamins, ect and at the end of the day even with my lifestyle change i've only managed to lose about 80 lbs. I used to weigh 340 lbs and im now 260 but have been at a plateau for almost 10 years. something has to give, I'm motivated, just what I've been doing hasn't been working out too well for me.
    High blood pressure and diabetes type 2 are my only 2 medical conditions I have. Any input is appreciated as to wether or not its a good idea or not for me to get into gear to take things up a notch.
    with that title, def not mate.

thanks for the responses, I just had to come here and ask other people what they thought as my only friend who'se into fitness is on gear and has seen me struggle for almost 15 years with my weight and have to admit kinda made me depressed when he said that likely genetically I can't lose body fat without the aid of gear as he's seen how serious I am and how hard I've tried and have only come half way which granted is better than nothing. I'm glad im only 260 instead of 340 but I'm getting to a point where I'm desperate wanting to control my type 2 diabetes and blood pressure I'm not 19 anymore I'm 34 and my illnesses will only get worse. Anyhow so rather than just jumping in and doing it with him, I thought I'd take a moment and come here to get a second opinion basically. Good thing I did that as I had no idea gear could mess up your blood pressure. He's been on it for a while now and every time I see him, he's bigger, stronger, faster ect and getting more and more ripped and I guess you can say I'm jealous as he makes it look so easy and had also reassured me that my bones would get stronger, my cholesterol and bp would actually get better....God it's a good thing I came here first. So I will be putting up in the nutrition section sample days of what I typically eat in a day and hopefully something will red flag and explain what I'm doing wrong as so far the only way that's worked for me to lose body fat is eating 1400 calories a day no more than 50 g of carbs and at least 60 minutes of walk / jog and 30-40 minutes weight lifting or an exercise program like P90X.

BBJT200 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elonidas View Post
    thanks for the responses, I just had to come here and ask other people what they thought as my only friend who'se into fitness is on gear and has seen me struggle for almost 15 years with my weight and have to admit kinda made me depressed when he said that likely genetically I can't lose body fat without the aid of gear as he's seen how serious I am and how hard I've tried and have only come half way which granted is better than nothing. I'm glad im only 260 instead of 340 but I'm getting to a point where I'm desperate wanting to control my type 2 diabetes and blood pressure I'm not 19 anymore I'm 34 and my illnesses will only get worse. Anyhow so rather than just jumping in and doing it with him, I thought I'd take a moment and come here to get a second opinion basically. Good thing I did that as I had no idea gear could mess up your blood pressure. He's been on it for a while now and every time I see him, he's bigger, stronger, faster ect and getting more and more ripped and I guess you can say I'm jealous as he makes it look so easy and had also reassured me that my bones would get stronger, my cholesterol and bp would actually get better....God it's a good thing I came here first. So I will be putting up in the nutrition section sample days of what I typically eat in a day and hopefully something will red flag and explain what I'm doing wrong as so far the only way that's worked for me to lose body fat is eating 1400 calories a day no more than 50 g of carbs and at least 60 minutes of walk / jog and 30-40 minutes weight lifting or an exercise program like P90X.
    Try a week of eating 2000+ cals, and knock the exercise down to walking 2-3x a week. This will give your body some recovery time as well as boost your metabolism. It sounds like you've been at such a big deficit so long, that you're not gonna lose much more if any with out a rest

im gald your waiting. Also as for what your friend said steroids also make your cholesterol worse.

Since you are overweight and have type II diabetes next time you go to your endo have them do a full hormonal work up. Maybe you have some other issues too

jay2pay is offline New Member
    Good luck man. I understand your struggle. I dont have any advice to give. Just support. Its a grind to worry about your diet every day. Keep at it.

thanks for all the replies, very helpful and yes sometime when I see my endo or get referred to one as I haven't seen one in a while I will get a full checkup to see if there's more to it than what I think or if it's because i'm at too low of a deficit. Then again I did my own little study where I was at 2200 calories for a full month then dropped 200 calories per month and I found that I had to be at 1400ish to lose weight also wether I eat 1500 or 2500 calories I don't fluctuate more than a few pounds and if I take in more than 150 g of carbs a day the weight comes on. Anyhow I am off to the nutrition section to start posting my typical eating habits. I'm excited to see where I've gone wrong with it.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    I was on low dose testoterone 200mg per week and my blood pressure went high. Not sure but type 2 means if you lose weight you wont be anymore.

The father of my ex girlfriend was type 2 with high blood pressure he lost 40 pounds and everything went normal again. Most steroids will cause water retention too. And when you cycle you almost always need a testosterone

Quote Originally Posted by jay2pay View Post
    Good luck man. I understand your struggle. I dont have any advice to give. Just support. Its a grind to worry about your diet every day. Keep at it.
    thanks, support is always nice, it helps keep motivated. I'd rather here no advice and get support than have a friend tell you in so many words that you're hopeless in achieving your dreams without the use of steroids . It's not like I want to weigh 300 pounds at 8% body fat :P I'd like to think my goals are fairly realistic, I had calculated that at roughly 200 pounds I'd be 12% body fat which to me is healthy but I have a strong desire to go for a much leaner physique and so 180 pounds and I'd be in heaven, then I'd love to simply keep training, learn more along the way, maybe pack on some muscle...that wouldn't hurt and hopefully be able to help others in achieving weight loss.

Are you taking any meds for your Diabetes? Do you check you glucose levels often?

I was trying to type the setup he had planned for me but it won't let me post any names of steroids or dosage levels

I occasionaly take glyburide before a meal in which I may have bread or pasta which is rare. if I take it regularly my sugars drop too low and I feel sick. I check my sugars about 10x a day. If I stick to under 50g of carbs a day I can keep my sugars between 6-9. If I'm not careful and have a lot of food on a weekend or something when my gf is off work and we watch a movie and I have pizza or poutine or something then I'll go up to 15 at the most. When I was 340 pounds my sugars were at 28 the doctors didn't understand how I was even conscious. my blood pressure is about 144 / 108. I've also noticed I don't lose weight when my sugars are a lil high. My body will burn the extra sugar before I lose any body fat. I'm just so discouraged because I exercise so much and run myself into the ground and although I'm told I look "good" and not like a couch potato it just really sucks that my physical appearance doesn't reflect the hard work I put in. The only reason I eat very little most of the time is because anything over 1800 calories or 100g of carbs and I go back up to 265. When I'm strict with 1400-1500 calories, 50 g of carbs max a day and walk about 6 miles or 10 km and do P90X then I can get as low as 245 or 250 pounds but keeping that routine is just too hard and I end up lacking energy so I end up eating more towards the 2000 calorie mark and upping my carbs a bit to 100-120g so I don't feel like a zombie all day and then the weight goes back up to about 260-265. Sorry for all the rambling, just frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Elonidas
    I was trying to type the setup he had planned for me but it won't let me post any names of steroids or dosage levels
    Spam Filter since your new.
    What do you're glucose levels run

fit2bOld is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Something is working as you already lost 80 lbs. Keep at it buddy clean up the diet and keep with the cardio. Good work on the first 80lbs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Spam Filter since your new.
    What do you're glucose levels run
    in case you didn't see it in my other post it usually runs 6-9 mmol/L with lots of restrictions in my diet. If I eat any carbs at all it shoots upwards from 11-15 mmol/L for about 3-5 hours in which then it drops back down to about 6-9mmol/L. If I exercise I can get is as low as 4mmol/L. So then it seems like I'm fairly okay but if I have a glass of juice, couple pieces of bread regardless of the type, I will shoot up to 15mmol/L easily. The only reason I don't take my medication regurlarly if you're curious is because the novo-glyburide I'm on affects me differently than when I was much larger. 1.25 to 20 mg/day is the dosage range and I take half of a 1.25 mg and it shoots my sugars down to 2-4 specially if I exercise. Good news though as I use to take 5 mg a day when I weighed much more.

Quote Originally Posted by fit2bOld View Post
    Something is working as you already lost 80 lbs. Keep at it buddy clean up the diet and keep with the cardio. Good work on the first 80lbs!!!
    Thanks, as you said something must of been working for me so far but because I'm not an expert in nutrition and it seems complicated I've reached a plateau and I know that with proper knowledge I can overcome it

still can't post what the setup was my friend wanted me to try nor can I message anyone either yet.
    well if anyone is bored or curious I've finally posted a huge thread in the nutrition section. It's much longer than I anticipated but I go in great detail about what i've done exercise and diet wise over the last 9-10 months since January.

I tried linking the thread but it won't let me. It's called Diabetic type 2 & High blood pressure, need advice on diet, I've hit a plateau.
    Last edited by Elonidas; 09-27-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Thread Information