Vpunishment is offline Junior Member

Memories require Protein synthesis

According to my psychology of learning book [I]The principles of learning and behavior by michael domjan[I] memories are the product of protein synthesis. This was proven because they used a drug that inhibits protein synthesis (anisomycin) that was injected into parts of the brain, and there was no memory retention, but this chemical did not work after 6 hours, this means memories take 6 hours to solidify. My question is that testosterone and other from of anabolic increase protein synthesis through out the body, does this mean we can learn faster?.. I cannot find information on this, but has anyone felt like they acquired more knowledge while on a cycle?

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The two mechanisms are unrelated. There are certain drugs (nootropics), which may help with learning retention, but anabolic hormones do not.

ISU152 is offline Junior Member
    Look up modafinil

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ISU152 View Post
    Look up modafinil
    That doesn't help either.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte

That doesn't help either.
    Modafinil has a limited patent as a cognitive enhancer, but its effects are weak.

Atomini is offline Banned
    Protein synthesis in the brain is VERY DIFFERENT from protein synthesis in the muscles. Anabolic steroids will do nothing at all for protein synthesis in the brain, because:

1. The receptors on neurons and nerve cells in your brain are not receptive to anabolic steroids for the purpose of protein synthesis.
    2. Anabolic steroids govern protein synthesis in muscle tissue and in a few other select areas of the body.

Furthermore, your brain develops and stores memories within its nerve cell body in the form of proteins known as Engram proteins. Protein synthesis in the muscles form contractile proteins known as Myosin and Actin. These are totally different proteins from one another that do completely different jobs.

Anabolic steroids will do nothing to increase cognitive performance. If you want something for that, look into Racetams.

Good information, thanks.

Thread Information