• 2 Post By RangerDanger830
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By Chicagotarsier
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By RangerDanger830

Thread: Mitochondria drugs

Majd1997 is offline Junior Member

Mitochondria drugs

This gonna sound a bit weird but is there any drug that increase mitochondria in number and size???

RangerDanger830 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Are you asking in hopes of boosting your metabolism? You shouldn't need more mitochondria at your age assuming you are eating healthy and training hard.

The size of your mitochondria will not change but you can make more and make them more efficient. You do this by imposing a greater need for mitochondria than you currently have. By working out in the gym you are imposing that greater need and eventually, if you are eating healthy as well, your body will adapt and make more mitochondria.

A lot of supplements are believed, and some are proven, to improve mitochondria counts and function. I have not read into these too much but I know magnesium, zinc, iron, and most supplements you find in a daily multi-vitamin. I would just take one of those are stay away from drugs at your age.

If you have a mitochondrial disorder, yes they exist, then let your doctor prescribe you treatment, which usually involves diet, physical activity, and OTC supplements.
    numbere and Majd1997 like this.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I've been taking Resveratrol for years mate. Was feeling kinda windy so I stopped talking about it:

Resveratrol improves mitochondrial function and protects against metabolic disease by activating SIRT1 and PGC-1alpha.

Lagouge M1, Argmann C, Gerhart-Hines Z, Meziane H, Lerin C, Daussin F, Messadeq N, Milne J, Lambert P, Elliott P, Geny B, Laakso M, Puigserver P, Auwerx J.

Author information

Abstract

Diminished mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and aerobic capacity are associated with reduced longevity. We tested whether resveratrol (RSV), which is known to extend lifespan, impacts mitochondrial function and metabolic homeostasis. Treatment of mice with RSV significantly increased their aerobic capacity, as evidenced by their increased running time and consumption of oxygen in muscle fibers. RSV's effects were associated with an induction of genes for oxidative phosphorylation and mitochondrial biogenesis and were largely explained by an RSV-mediated decrease in PGC-1alpha acetylation and an increase in PGC-1alpha activity. This mechanism is consistent with RSV being a known activator of the protein deacetylase, SIRT1, and by the lack of effect of RSV in SIRT1(-/-) MEFs. Importantly, RSV treatment protected mice against diet-induced-obesity and insulin resistance. These pharmacological effects of RSV combined with the association of three Sirt1 SNPs and energy homeostasis in Finnish subjects implicates SIRT1 as a key regulator of energy and metabolic homeostasis.

here is my source:
    Resveratrol improves mitochondrial function and protect... [Cell. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
    Majd1997 likes this.

if you search on "Resveratrol" you will find a variety of threads I have started on the subject over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I've been taking Resveratrol for years mate. Was feeling kinda windy so I stopped talking about it:

Resveratrol improves mitochondrial function and protects against metabolic disease by activating SIRT1 and PGC-1alpha.

Lagouge M1, Argmann C, Gerhart-Hines Z, Meziane H, Lerin C, Daussin F, Messadeq N, Milne J, Lambert P, Elliott P, Geny B, Laakso M, Puigserver P, Auwerx J.

Author information

Abstract

Diminished mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and aerobic capacity are associated with reduced longevity. We tested whether resveratrol (RSV), which is known to extend lifespan, impacts mitochondrial function and metabolic homeostasis. Treatment of mice with RSV significantly increased their aerobic capacity, as evidenced by their increased running time and consumption of oxygen in muscle fibers. RSV's effects were associated with an induction of genes for oxidative phosphorylation and mitochondrial biogenesis and were largely explained by an RSV-mediated decrease in PGC-1alpha acetylation and an increase in PGC-1alpha activity. This mechanism is consistent with RSV being a known activator of the protein deacetylase, SIRT1, and by the lack of effect of RSV in SIRT1(-/-) MEFs. Importantly, RSV treatment protected mice against diet-induced-obesity and insulin resistance. These pharmacological effects of RSV combined with the association of three Sirt1 SNPs and energy homeostasis in Finnish subjects implicates SIRT1 as a key regulator of energy and metabolic homeostasis.

here is my source:
    Resveratrol improves mitochondrial function and protect... [Cell. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
    Thanks
    Do you know how much does it take to
    Feel the effects??

Quote Originally Posted by Majd1997 View Post
    Thanks
    Do you know how much does it take to
    Feel the effects??
    Feel the effects?

what? of strengthening and improving mitochondria?

do you know what mitochondria are?

LEF and the anti aging community recommends approximately 50mg/day

google "mitochondria" and then tell me what you think so we can both have a good laugh =)

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Feel the effects?

what? of strengthening and improving mitochondria?

do you know what mitochondria are?

LEF and the anti aging community recommends approximately 50mg/day

google "mitochondria" and then tell me what you think so we can both have a good laugh =)
    Of course I know what it is
    I'm not asking about strength it's about when to feel
    The endurance change since mitochondria responsible
    For aerobic respiration
    The question is (when do you tell that you have more endurance and stamina because as you know most OTC supplement takes time for you to
    Actually tell a difference cause they work naturally)
    Last edited by Majd1997; 05-21-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    During dive school they market not a pill but process. I saw guys going from 20 seconds holding their breath at full pace (water) to 12 minutes at same pace no breath in 6 months. MANY pieces to the puzzle to make this happen but it is based upon what Ranger said...

The size of your mitochondria will not change but you can make more and make them more efficient. You do this by imposing a greater need for mitochondria than you currently have.

But that really oversimplifies the whole situation. The first step from a physical standpoint would be to look at WHAT you are doing and your fast twitch vs slow twitch muscle composition. Changing your composition to match your activity is the major factor. Eddie Merckx and Miguel Indurain are the two top VO2 people that did not use PEDs (Miguel's Tour blood samples form back int he day were tested with Armstrong's failed test). Their body composition was due to the muscle type and hence the quality of respiration. First thing non-physical they address in dive school is an involuntary breathing response you have to break and understand. You are only going to go so far with endurance and development of mitochondrial respiration until you break the panic sequence (fight or flight reaction) associated with holding your breath. The actual science behind it was not worth my time to learn (at that time) but guys went from swimming 5 miles in medium times to 25 miles at fast times the exact day after the response breaking training with visibly less fatigue.

Just something to look into. I am around 40% bf and can still dust 90% of the field in an Ironman swim. Can still swim 100m without taking a breath (Swam 150m no breath last week with little difficulty). It is not because I am in shape..I give credit to my training and control of body function.
    Majd1997 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    During dive school they market not a pill but process. I saw guys going from 20 seconds holding their breath at full pace (water) to 12 minutes at same pace no breath in 6 months. MANY pieces to the puzzle to make this happen but it is based upon what Ranger said...

The size of your mitochondria will not change but you can make more and make them more efficient. You do this by imposing a greater need for mitochondria than you currently have.

But that really oversimplifies the whole situation. The first step from a physical standpoint would be to look at WHAT you are doing and your fast twitch vs slow twitch muscle composition. Changing your composition to match your activity is the major factor. Eddie Merckx and Miguel Indurain are the two top VO2 people that did not use PEDs (Miguel's Tour blood samples form back int he day were tested with Armstrong's failed test). Their body composition was due to the muscle type and hence the quality of respiration. First thing non-physical they address in dive school is an involuntary breathing response you have to break and understand. You are only going to go so far with endurance and development of mitochondrial respiration until you break the panic sequence (fight or flight reaction) associated with holding your breath. The actual science behind it was not worth my time to learn (at that time) but guys went from swimming 5 miles in medium times to 25 miles at fast times the exact day after the response breaking training with visibly less fatigue.

Just something to look into. I am around 40% bf and can still dust 90% of the field in an Ironman swim. Can still swim 100m without taking a breath (Swam 150m no breath last week with little difficulty). It is not because I am in shape..I give credit to my training and control of body function.
    Wooow do you know what is this training cause I'm a swimmer too

Of course I know what it is
    I'm not asking about strength it's about when to feel
    The endurance change since mitochondria responsible
    For aerobic respiration
    The question is (when do you tell that you have more endurance and stamina because as you know most OTC supplement takes time for you to
    Actually tell a difference cause they work naturally)
    If you were to create log for taking resveratrol only, for the purpose of improving cardio/endurance, I would find it highly probable you would not notice a difference. Same goes for GW501516.

I've been taking 50mg/day for years, well informed on the effects it has on me, and personally would not be taking it for the purpose of improving endurance.

Resveratrol is taken as it mimics the effects of a restricted calorie diet:
    it is theorized that in humans it will increase life span and hopefully quality of life along the way. In mammals tested, it increases life span by as much as 30%. I, along with many others, think the effect in humans will be significantly less than the 30% increase. But any increase would be significant.

About seven years ago, I purchased a kilo of 40% pure resveratrol powder for about $700. I've been taking daily, and still have a several year supply.

This should clarify my position somewhat?

---Roman
    Majd1997 likes this.

I'll def give it try
    Thanks Roman

Equally important as mitochondrial efficiency is also lactic acid cycle efficiency/tolerance. Train how you fight they always say.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDanger830 View Post
    Equally important as mitochondrial efficiency is also lactic acid cycle efficiency/tolerance. Train how you fight they always say.
    I'm so confused
    I mean how the muscle cell adapt to lactic acid
    I know the long run (the liver converts it etc..) I'm talkin about the muscle
    Cell it self how does it adapt to remove lactic acid is it only by throwing it to the blood I don't think so I think that the muscle uses that lactic acid or something that's why people who trains get adapted to it and it doesn't accumulate easily isn't it?????
    So confusing I've been searching on this for long time
    Last edited by Majd1997; 05-22-2014 at 03:19 PM.

I'm so confused
    I mean how the muscle cell adapt to lactic acid
    I know the long run (the liver converts it etc..) I'm talkin about the muscle
    Cell it self how does it adapt to remove lactic acid is it only by throwing it to the blood I don't think so I think that the muscle uses that lactic acid or something that's why people who trains get adapted to it and it doesn't accumulate easily isn't it?????
    So confusing I've been searching on this for long time
    I am going to be honest with you, it is hard to understand what you are saying because of how you type it. I would rather not dive into the entire lactic acid cycle so if you desire further understanding of it then just do a simple google search of the Cori Cycle, which is another name for it.

From what I understood from this post you are on the right track. Lactate is produced through glycolysis which then is used to produce energy before heading back through the liver and converted to glucose and back to lactate.

This process can become much more efficient if you subject your body to it enough is what I was trying to say. If you train for endurance, you will gain more endurance.

If there are still questions then let us know.
    Majd1997 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDanger830 View Post
    I am going to be honest with you, it is hard to understand what you are saying because of how you type it. I would rather not dive into the entire lactic acid cycle so if you desire further understanding of it then just do a simple google search of the Cori Cycle, which is another name for it.

From what I understood from this post you are on the right track. Lactate is produced through glycolysis which then is used to produce energy before heading back through the liver and converted to glucose and back to lactate.

This process can become much more efficient if you subject your body to it enough is what I was trying to say. If you train for endurance, you will gain more endurance.

If there are still questions then let us know.
    I think I went over the cori cycle a lot but I think it only says how lactic acid goes through the bloodstream and then to the liver
    But doesn't talk about how the MUSCLE cell uses it
    I'll check it again maybe I'm mistaken
    I also have another question I heard the hydrogen is what causes muscles to burn and that pyruvate binds to H+ ion to instead of giving energy to form lactate and that there is not lactic acid
    Last edited by Majd1997; 05-22-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Hydrogen absolutely does not cause muscles to burn. The burn comes from the lactic acid. Are we getting off topic here or is there a purpose behind this high school bio discussion?

Thread Information