Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lovbyts

Thread: old gear

ShakeNbake76 is offline New Member

old gear

I have two 10ml vials of 200 mg/test cyp that was prescribed to me back in 09' they are still sealed and have been stored in my fire safe. I recently have been prescribed test cyp again after being on axiron for a couple years. My question is, is the test cyp that is 5 years old still safe to use. My insurance pretty much covers the price for my current scrip but I hate to have my old gear go to waste.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Yes its still good

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Should be fine. I'd use it if it were mine.

Cool thanks

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Dont trust it, it could be bad and cause an infections. Send it to me for proper disposal. Better to be safe than sorry.

hehehe At worse it could be a little weak or possibly crashed but if it looks good then I would not be afraid to use it. I have a few years old. I try to use the older stuff first.
    NACH3 and Khazima like this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    You'd be surprised of how long things are still good as long as they were sealed and all like you said... Same thing with pharmaceuticals, or for most of everything!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    You'd be surprised of how long things are still good as long as they were sealed and all like you said... Same thing with pharmaceuticals, or for most of everything!
    Here is a little piece I found in a health journal online. The exception (maybe) is antibiotics.

Since a law was passed in 1979, drug manufacturers are required to stamp an expiration date on their products. This is the date at which the manufacturer can still guarantee the full potency and safety of the drug.

Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.

So the expiration date doesn't really indicate a point at which the medication is no longer effective or has become unsafe to use. Medical authorities state expired drugs are safe to take, even those that expired years ago. A rare exception to this may be tetracycline, but the report on this is controversial among researchers. It's true the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date. Excluding nitroglycerin, insulin , and liquid antibiotics, most medications are as long-lasting as the ones tested by the military. Placing a medication in a cool place, such as a refrigerator, will help a drug remain potent for many years.

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try

Thread Information