Jonbana is offline Member

Training frequency and volume and time....Old school Vs new School

Ok , wrong section but I find this section gets more attention sorry .

Does anyone else find working out once a day for 45min-1 hour lazy ? or optimal

I'm a big fan of old school bodybuilding like Arnold and etc and I have the time to train twice a day everyday for life I make time my life revolves around my work outs and nutrition what about body parts more than once a week or train more than an hour , I love the gym and want to spend more time training for results but everywhere you go everyone says over training wont grow this and that ...whats the truth what really works , Yes pros seem to training 2-3 times a day for hours but they are well experienced and on a lot more AAS than most us but what is really correct for max growth more or less I find once a day for an hour seems lazy yes im tired and exhausted I push and push but im ready 12 hours later for round 2 I get results for once a day but what if I want more.... I believe in hard work wins or talent everyday but at what point is to much hard work going to hurt your results

is training one body part a day 4-5 days a week really enough for maximum results ? why not train each body part twice a week or why not training twice a day hitting each body part 3x a week ? are we just finding reasons to become lazier unlike the old school bodybuilders or are these new ways actually better I find I'm just wasting time only training once a day for an hour 5 days a week

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Arnold did not train twice a day, he only did it prior to a competition for a few weeks, in fact off season his training was rather light.

Lifting marathons dont promote muscle building, otherwise marathon runners would have huge legs, their legs are toothpicks...

I was thinking high volume like most.. yes you are correct 2 a days where rare but where done prior to contest to lean out ,

Monday - chest back
    Tuesday - legs
    wed - shoulders arms
    repeat rest one day at day 7

this seems to be the typical split with high volume 1.5-2 hour workouts no cardio

Monday – Thursday
    Bench Press – 5 sets of 6-10 reps
    Incline Press – 4 sets of 6-10 reps
    Flat Dumbbell Flyes – 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    Dumbbell Pull-overs – 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Wide-Grips Chins – 4 sets of 10 reps
    Barbell Rows (overhand wide grip) – 4 sets of 6-10 reps
    T-Bar Rows – 4 sets of 6-10 reps
    Seated Cable Rows – 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Tuesday – Friday
    Roman Chair Sit-ups – 4 sets of 100 reps each set
    Lying Leg Raises – 4 sets of 50 reps each set
    Seated Twists (using a broomstick) – 3 sets of 50 reps each set
    Barbell Squats – 5 sets of 6-10 reps
    Vertical Leg Press – 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    Leg Curls – 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    Barbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts – 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    Standing Calf Raises – 4 sets of 6-12 reps
    Donkey Calf Raises (using 1-2 guys on the back for weight) – 4 sets of 12-20 reps

Wednesday – Saturday
    Seated Press Behind the Neck – 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Side Lateral Raises – 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Bent Over Lateral Raises – 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Barbell Upright Rows – 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Barbell Shrugs – 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Tricep Pushdowns – 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Lying Triceps Extensions – 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    Seated One-Arm Dumbbell Tricep Extensions – 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Incline Curls – 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Barbell Curls – 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    One-Arm Concentration Curls – 4 sets of 10-12 reps
    Reverse Barbell Curls – 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Barbell Wrist Curls – 4 sets of 10-12 reps

If it works for you great! But if you continue training, into the years you will see more progress reducing the volume and increasing intensity, and adding more rest days.

The muscles dont grow while you are on the gym, on the contrary.

I currently do , 45-1 hour 5days a week
    chest tri
    back bie
    shoulders
    legs
    arms
    rest
    rest

I just want train more feeling like I can get more out maybe? but like you are sayinf and I mentioned seems less is more now of days just feels lazy waiting to workout again

I was even thinking the Arnold split

Day 1: Chest/Back
    Day 2: Shoulders/Arms
    Day 3: Legs
    Day 4: Chest/Back
    Day 5: Shoulders/Arms
    Day 6: Legs
    Day 7: Rest

Just be careful with what you think Arnold did, he was (maybe still is) notorious for giving false information and not saying any secrets.
    He did it to make fun of ppl and to hide sucessful methods.

For some reason he was a sucessful politician lol

I am an advocate of higher volume training meaning...

Instead of doing chest one day a week with 12 working sets, I'd rather hit 18 working sets spread out over 3 days a week.
    The workouts are easier and thus your body can recover quicker thus allowing you to train more often.

Please keep in mind that I am a powerlifter.

Just remember that everyone is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Just be careful with what you think Arnold did, he was (maybe still is) notorious for giving false information and not saying any secrets.
    He did it to make fun of ppl and to hide sucessful methods.

For some reason he was a sucessful politician lol
    Yes I totally agree I use to look up to him till I bought his bodybuilding book and what a waste that shit he says no way , you really cannot believe anyone who would spend 20-30 years training figuring out what works that spoon feed you it all on a plate , doesn't work that way

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    I am an advocate of higher volume training meaning...

Instead of doing chest one day a week with 12 working sets, I'd rather hit 18 working sets spread out over 3 days a week.
    The workouts are easier and thus your body can recover quicker thus allowing you to train more often.

Please keep in mind that I am a powerlifter.

Just remember that everyone is different.

I use to do push pull leg had great results for being lean but than I went back to single body part and I feel more powerful ,

but just feels like theres something else I can do to get more out of this... just feels like something is missing or I can do something to go more

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have trained natural all these years so keep that in mind. Compact workouts have always worked better for me. I mean shorter (45-60 min) and high intensity. Every set to failure so that you never risk benching or squatting if youre not in a rack. This wont work if youre going to do too many sets. Though if I don't do high intensity and hit PRs I never see results...

Friends who I have been training with since many years back respond differently. They dont like the full exhaustion in a set and they sometimes do something like 16 sets for biceps.

Haven't been training so long but I wonder if it really is old school vs new school. HIT has been around for quite a while.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Body's respond differently, but both paths can generally take you to the same destination, IMO. I prefer the Mike Mentzer approach to the Arnold approach, personally.

Thread Information