Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Donating blood not really necessary

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    They bounce.
    I dont know but I drink a lot of pedialyte in the summer just to get by. The way I sweat is ridiculous.
    It soaks my bluejeans and drips off.

Cant hardly do what I do in the heat the past couple years.

Same here, man. Since we're out in the sticks, I often leave my clothes hanging on the porch railing until they dry out some. It's bad when you can throw your clothes at the wall and they stick.
    Obs likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZYZZ LEGACY View Post
    Elsewhere the guys were telling me that the blood donated by a steroid user could harm other people who need blood in medical use
    They will give you a list of medications that you will prevent you from donating for "mass-market." The things that are on this list are there because the receiver of the blood could be harmed because of the medication. An example is blood thinners, the person receiving the blood could already be having a hard time not bleeding out. Another example is finasteride, it is called a tetrogen which is a substance that will permanently harm the a fetus.
    -Alternatives are dumping (16 oz every 60 days), or donating to a collector that uses it for research or another purpose that isn't affected by medications or other stuff.

GH, I never understood that there was a need for a distinction between the cuase being high hematocrit or high blood volume. To me, it just seemed that it was because of the blood volume. If not for the volume increase, higher hct causing increased O2 supply would be a great to have. I wonder how the cyclists compensate? For them, the increase is probably just as important as sleep, eat and water.
    I would consider using a diuretic but wouldn't want spironolactone because of the dht suppression and possibly resulting gyno.
    GearHeaded likes this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    GH, I never understood that there was a need for a distinction between the cuase being high hematocrit or high blood volume. To me, it just seemed that it was because of the blood volume. If not for the volume increase, higher hct causing increased O2 supply would be a great to have. I wonder how the cyclists compensate? For them, the increase is probably just as important as sleep, eat and water.
    I would consider using a diuretic but wouldn't want spironolactone because of the dht suppression and possibly resulting gyno.

I think the pro cyclist 'compensates' or feels great and performs very well with high hematocrit levels, and the bodybuilder on the other hand suffers and gets lethargic and crashes and burns , is because of this --

the cyclist high hematocrit levels are not accompanied by 20 pounds of weight gain, water retention, slight pulmonary edema, excess mineral and nutrient retention, a super compensation amount of glycogen. where as a bodybuilder does. because the way a bodybuilder gets to super high hematocrit levels is generally much different then the way a cyclist would .

lets take the bodybuilder first.
    he is a 200 pound guy.. he is going to run a cycle for bulking and thus run volumizing compounds. his hematocrit is 46 when he starts.
    he runs a gram of test, 600mg deca , and 100mg of Anadrol per day . he likes his results after 8 weeks so keeps going. he then switches to Tren and Dbol .. he ups the test to 1500 . before he knows it he's been on high dosages for 6 months straight..
    now his hematocrit is 54 and he feels like total shit and can't breathe and is lethargic.

well he does not feel like total crap and lethargic simply because his hematocrit is 54 (in comparison the cyclist gets to 60 and feels amazing) . its not the hematocrit itself, its what he did to get to that point that caused the problems.
    its the fact that he is now 235 pounds , is holding a ton of water and blood volume and mineral retention all at the same time . its the fact that he's been taking grams of gear for months on end, and its the fact he has been eating in a 1500 calorie surplus for months on end.
    yeah, no wonder he can't breath or walk up a flight of stairs.

now for the cyclist.
    he lives in Colorado and generaly trains at 8,000-12,000 foot of elevation , this raises his hematocrit naturally as well as his Vo2. he sleeps in a barometric chamber 8 hours per night, this naturally raises his hematocrit. when he does any sort of resistance training he trains in exttremely tight compression clothes and wears multiple layers, this raises hematocrit.. when he recovers he may do hot and cold tub dips, this may raise his hematocrit as well .
    and lastly he has been draining and storing his own blood, then injecting it back in later on, and taking EPO on top of it. this drastically raises hematocrit/Rbc .

meanwhile, he hasn't gained any weight, he's not retaining any water, his retention of minerals and nutrients is normal based on what his body needs at the time only. and he has not been taking a shit ton of steroids for months on end . his hematocrit is now near 60 and he feels great and is ready for his olympic cycling event .

thats the difference

I personally think that endurance athletes have healthier cardiovascular systems then meat head gym goers.
    They have stronger more efficient hearts and can handle the higher volume of blood than we can.

I personally think that the average steroid user has bad lipids and high blood pressure and trying to compare us to Lance Armstrong is just plain wrong.

Hell, watch any youtube video and you'll see half of the large stongmen, powerlifters, and bodybuilders sweating and gasping for breath just trying to carry a conversation.
    yeah, they have more rbc so they should be have more than enough oxygen but I think their hearts can't handle the more viscous blood properly.

no science to back it up, just my opinion.
    JaneDoe likes this.

damn twice today I got beaten to the punch and typed too slowly.
    Quester and almostgone like this.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    They also have a smaller need and less sized, although greater efficiency, cardiovascular system, I mean, it serves less body area but does a better job.
    They have lower BP.
    Possibly just having higher BP is the culprit for all of the bad stuff were talking about when we talk signs/symptoms of high hematocrit?
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    They also have a smaller need and less sized, although greater efficiency, cardiovascular system, I mean, it serves less body area but does a better job.
    They have lower BP.
    Possibly just having higher BP is the culprit for all of the bad stuff were talking about when we talk signs/symptoms of high hematocrit?
    Its sure a good reasonto look into it brother

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information