Results 1 to 40 of 40
Like Tree35Likes
  • 2 Post By Cuz
  • 1 Post By tarmyg
  • 2 Post By Gallowmere
  • 2 Post By SampsonandDelilah
  • 5 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 2 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 1 Post By SampsonandDelilah
  • 1 Post By tarmyg
  • 1 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 2 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 2 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 1 Post By Cylon357
  • 3 Post By Cuz
  • 1 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 4 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 1 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 2 Post By Chark
  • 1 Post By SampsonandDelilah

Thread: First powerlift meet, need cycle advice

  1. #1
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bulkville
    Posts
    5,859

    First powerlift meet, need cycle advice

    I plan on entering my first ever meet in January. Ive been training mostly all year in the deadlift and bench, but not squat. I -already know that will hurt me and will just have to do the best I can. Really cant worry about it at this point I have less than 3 months until the meet.

    Ive never done a meet but my goal is to come in as lean as I possibly can be and still be strong of course while staying under the 220 limit. I dont want to compete over 220lb.

    I dont have a cycle planned i just have some ideas and wanted some feedback.
    Im thinking of running

    Testosterone - baseline TRT or 300mg
    Tren Ace weeks 1-4 300mg 4-8 400 mg
    Mast P weeks 1-8 300mg
    The next would be Anadrol and/or Dbol not sure what to do but would like to run both the last two weeks up until the meet to have any chance to put up some good numbers. Im thinking 50 drol and 25 dbol but not sure yet on running orals for 2 months.

    Any commentary would be appreciated- Cuz
    DustMan and Chark like this.

  2. #2
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,209
    Blog Entries
    162
    Increase mast to 600-700
    Cuz likes this.

  3. #3
    Gallowmere's Avatar
    Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Increase mast to 600-700
    This, and if you can get ahold of some legit Halo, Iíd recommend that over Dbol or Adrol. The water weight is transient, but given that most of the cutting for weight classes is done via dehydration, this would make things a pain in the ass.
    Cuz and Chark like this.

  4. #4
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wish I knew more about this kind of thing. I’m watching though and excited to hear how the meet goes! Feel sorry for those dudes
    Cuz and Chark like this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    could be a long post...

    first question comes down to how much you weigh.
    You want to compete at 220 and you are already lean.
    Cutting more than 10lbs will be difficult for you and hamper your meet.

    So...
    If you are under 220lbs right now you can afford drugs like dbol or anadrol .
    they will blow your weight and strength up...

    If you are already 230lbs then you can't afford to take those drugs...

    So I ask, how much do you weigh now?

    If you are around 220lbs now... I would recommend taking as much test as you can handle without ballooning up your weight.
    take some deca for your joints.
    and of course take some tren ...

    I would imagine something like 600 test, 400 deca, 200-300 tren...
    as you get a month out I would drop the test to say 300-400, drop the deca totally, and up the tren to the point that you are almost put into jail...
    two weeks out i would start with 10mg of halo a day. Balkan was legit when I tried.
    one week out up to 20mg of halo a day.
    meet day, pray, and take 40mg of halo, 10mg first thing in the morning, and 10mg before each lift (squat, bench, deads)

    The reason you cut your doses of test and deca is you want to be close to 220. you will lose strength if you have to cut 10lbs for the meet.

    If you are under 220 right now, say 210, then you can take dbol and such early in your cycle and you probably can keep your test high up until the meet.
    still take halo.

    Note: I have never tried mast but I am sure it wouldn't hurt. that being said, I don't know any powerlifters that have taken it.

    Much more important than the drugs is your training and your attempt selection.
    Film squats from the side.
    never squat high.
    who cares if you can rep 500 if you can't squat 500 to depth.
    at least two months before the meet start training all your bench presses paused.
    I am assuming you have done touch and go your whole life.
    All deads should be dead stop. Never touch and go.

    Open light, the general rule of thumb is to open where you can hit and easy triple.
    especially since this is your first meet, open light on squats.
    you may think you are hitting depth but I can guarantee that you probably have been squatting high your whole life.

    Also, at you strength level and age...

    I would pull your last heavy deadlift 2 weeks out.. your last heavy squat 1.5 weeks out... your last heavy bench 1 week out...

    I could go on for hours...

    You are going to love it.
    Careful with the halo.
    Last edited by The Deadlifting Dog; 11-01-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    Meow_Wolf, Chark, DustMan and 2 others like this.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    another bit of info...

    I try to compete every 6 months.
    I weigh 222 in the off season.

    I cruise at around 80-140mgs of test for 3 months.
    I then take 500-600 test for 4 weeks.
    I then take 400 test and 200 tren for 4 weeks.
    I then take 200 test and 300 tren for 2 weeks.
    I then take 200 test and 400 tren for the last 2 weeks.
    The 2nd to last week I take 10mg of halo a day.
    The last week I take 20mg of halo a day.
    Meet day I take 40mg of halo.

    Early in the cycle I might get as heavy as 230lbs.
    By meet week I will weigh 225lbs.

    I don't take deca because I took deca once (I was also taking tren) and something rather embarassing happened. (It wasn't ED.)
    Never took deca again.
    SampsonandDelilah and Cuz like this.

  7. #7
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bulkville
    Posts
    5,859
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    could be a long post...

    first question comes down to how much you weigh.
    You want to compete at 220 and you are already lean.
    Cutting more than 10lbs will be difficult for you and hamper your meet.

    So...
    If you are under 220lbs right now you can afford drugs like dbol or anadrol .
    they will blow your weight and strength up...

    If you are already 230lbs then you can't afford to take those drugs...

    So I ask, how much do you weigh now?

    If you are around 220lbs now... I would recommend taking as much test as you can handle without ballooning up your weight.
    take some deca for your joints.
    and of course take some tren ...

    I would imagine something like 600 test, 400 deca, 200-300 tren...
    as you get a month out I would drop the test to say 300-400, drop the deca totally, and up the tren to the point that you are almost put into jail...
    two weeks out i would start with 10mg of halo a day. Balkan was legit when I tried.
    one week out up to 20mg of halo a day.
    meet day, pray, and take 40mg of halo, 10mg first thing in the morning, and 10mg before each lift (squat, bench, deads)

    The reason you cut your doses of test and deca is you want to be close to 220. you will lose strength if you have to cut 10lbs for the meet.

    If you are under 220 right now, say 210, then you can take dbol and such early in your cycle and you probably can keep your test high up until the meet.
    still take halo.

    Note: I have never tried mast but I am sure it wouldn't hurt. that being said, I don't know any powerlifters that have taken it.

    Much more important than the drugs is your training and your attempt selection.
    Film squats from the side.
    never squat high.
    who cares if you can rep 500 if you can't squat 500 to depth.
    at least two months before the meet start training all your bench presses paused.
    I am assuming you have done touch and go your whole life.
    All deads should be dead stop. Never touch and go.

    Open light, the general rule of thumb is to open where you can hit and easy triple.
    especially since this is your first meet, open light on squats.
    you may think you are hitting depth but I can guarantee that you probably have been squatting high your whole life.

    Also, at you strength level and age...

    I would pull your last heavy deadlift 2 weeks out.. your last heavy squat 1.5 weeks out... your last heavy bench 1 week out...

    I could go on for hours...

    You are going to love it.
    Careful with the halo.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    another bit of info...

    I try to compete every 6 months.
    I weigh 222 in the off season.

    I cruise at around 80-140mgs of test for 3 months.
    I then take 500-600 test for 4 weeks.
    I then take 400 test and 200 tren for 4 weeks.
    I then take 200 test and 300 tren for 2 weeks.
    I then take 200 test and 400 tren for the last 2 weeks.
    The 2nd to last week I take 10mg of halo a day.
    The last week I take 20mg of halo a day.
    Meet day I take 40mg of halo.

    Early in the cycle I might get as heavy as 230lbs.
    By meet week I will weigh 225lbs.

    I don't take deca because I took deca once (I was also taking tren) and something rather embarassing happened. (It wasn't ED.)
    Never took deca again.
    Thanks for your time and valuable info DD, i weigh 217 right now on trt and just casually eating not really trying to gain or lose at this point. My goal was to come in at 219 lean as possible and thats why i opted with the tren it curbs my appetite but i never taken over 300mg and that was like only a couple weeks the went to 200mg for a couple weeks I also never stacked anything with tren so I mean with tren and test and other drugs 235 would probably be easy if i stick to the cycle. Ive never competed at anything so i have abandoned a few cycles and also tapered off but I believe something to actually work towards will definitely help me.
    So 217 right now, trt. Wont cycle until i meet with my hrt doc the 19th. Also will have to donate some blood.

    Never done halo dont even know if my source has it, heard it was very toxic that’s why I’ve stayed away.
    The last cycle you laid out is probably what im gonna do i think i can handle that no problem and put up some good numbers. Anxious to get started.

    Should i max pre cycle and train at 80%? 90%? Of max?

  8. #8
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    another bit of info...

    I try to compete every 6 months.
    I weigh 222 in the off season.

    I cruise at around 80-140mgs of test for 3 months.
    I then take 500-600 test for 4 weeks.
    I then take 400 test and 200 tren for 4 weeks.
    I then take 200 test and 300 tren for 2 weeks.
    I then take 200 test and 400 tren for the last 2 weeks.
    The 2nd to last week I take 10mg of halo a day.
    The last week I take 20mg of halo a day.
    Meet day I take 40mg of halo.

    Early in the cycle I might get as heavy as 230lbs.
    By meet week I will weigh 225lbs.

    I don't take deca because I took deca once (I was also taking tren) and something rather embarassing happened. (It wasn't ED.)

    Never took deca again.

    Dying to know...I can’t be the only one!
    Cylon357 likes this.

  9. #9
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Thanks for your time and valuable info DD, i weigh 217 right now on trt and just casually eating not really trying to gain or lose at this point. My goal was to come in at 219 lean as possible and thats why i opted with the tren it curbs my appetite but i never taken over 300mg and that was like only a couple weeks the went to 200mg for a couple weeks I also never stacked anything with tren so I mean with tren and test and other drugs 235 would probably be easy if i stick to the cycle. Ive never competed at anything so i have abandoned a few cycles and also tapered off but I believe something to actually work towards will definitely help me.
    So 217 right now, trt. Wont cycle until i meet with my hrt doc the 19th. Also will have to donate some blood.

    Never done halo dont even know if my source has it, heard it was very toxic thatís why Iíve stayed away.
    The last cycle you laid out is probably what im gonna do i think i can handle that no problem and put up some good numbers. Anxious to get started.

    Should i max pre cycle and train at 80%? 90%? Of max?
    I was like you with Halo. You want to see some messed up liver readings do bloods with halo. LOL
    You are only taking it for 2 weeks and not a high dose- you will be fine. 40 is pushing it high IMO.
    Donít forget your NAC.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    40mg is high.
    I only do it one day at that dose.

    If concerned Cuz can just take 10mg for 2 weeks and 20mgs meet day.

    I also know of people who just take 10mg only on the day they work out during final meet prep and then 20-40mg on meet day.

    I can only vouch for how I’ve done it. (Twice.)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    Dying to know...I can’t be the only one!
    Was my first bout of gyno.
    I get gyno now whenever I run tren .

    But I also lactated. Scared the shit out of me.

  12. #12
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    Was my first bout of gyno.
    I get gyno now whenever I run tren .

    But I also lactated. Scared the shit out of me.
    I’d be terrified too...

  13. #13
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,394

    First powerlift meet, need cycle advice

    You should have taken Halo. It helps with gyno. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    scotty51312's Avatar
    scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Middle of the Mojave, CA
    Posts
    2,994
    out of curiosity is Milberone still a heavily utilized compound for pre contest aggression, or is everyone shifted to halo to be safer? Just and idea, and curiosity

  15. #15
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,209
    Blog Entries
    162
    I would ignore my advice in regards to how good it is for a Powerlift meet and listen to the guy who clearly have done it. From a normal cycle perspective my advice stands as I would never run Tren without Mast these days.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

  16. #16
    DustMan is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty51312 View Post
    out of curiosity is Milberone still a heavily utilized compound for pre contest aggression, or is everyone shifted to halo to be safer? Just and idea, and curiosity
    When I was going through EU UGL's I found it offered only once out of the 30 some brands I looked at, apparently when it is offered it's also really likely to be faked. Don't know the situation in US but it's pretty well disappeared over here, I'm not sure why but I would assume it's because Halo is so much safer.

  17. #17
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,394
    Quote Originally Posted by DustMan View Post
    When I was going through EU UGL's I found it offered only once out of the 30 some brands I looked at, apparently when it is offered it's also really likely to be faked. Don't know the situation in US but it's pretty well disappeared over here, I'm not sure why but I would assume it's because Halo is so much safer.
    Never thought I would hear,Ē Halo is so much safer.Ē LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    I would ignore my advice in regards to how good it is for a Powerlift meet and listen to the guy who clearly have done it. From a normal cycle perspective my advice stands as I would never run Tren without Mast these days.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree...

    I am sure mast would help with the tren sides. (that is what they say...)
    I just can't personally vouch for it since I have never done mast.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Never thought I would hear,” Halo is so much safer.” LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Safer than oral tren , DNP , and crystal meth...
    That's about it...

    Oh, and safer then discussing politics...
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

  20. #20
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,394
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    Safer than oral tren , DNP , and crystal meth...
    That's about it...

    Oh, and safer then discussing politics...
    LMFAO!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post

    Should i max pre cycle and train at 80%? 90%? Of max?
    I'll try not to be too long...
    And this is what works for me... I am 50 and you are 35 I believe so you probably can up the volume a bit.

    Most powerlifters can bench more often then squat. And they can squat more often then deadlift.
    (I will not address sumo deadlift or super high arch benchers. If you are either of these then let me know.)

    Today I am going to address bench.
    I never do a 1 rep max in the gym.
    To put it in perspective, I have benched 420 in a meet and have many times benched 400+ in a meet.
    The most I have ever benched in the gym is 385.
    Save it for the platform.
    Maxing is risky and taxing. Leave your ego at the door.
    I also try to never miss a rep.
    Many people thinking that getting strong is about grinding reps and getting spotted.
    Getting strong is about good quality repeatable reps under a moderate to heavy load say 80-90%

    Your ass should never come off the bench. Your feet should never move.

    During the begining of meet prep (the first month or two out of a three month cycle)...
    I generally bench about 3 times every 7-9 days.
    I will have a volume day, a heavy day, and a speed/recovery day.

    I am assuming you can bench about 400.
    Volume day would be around 300x5x5 followed by 4 sets of 8-12 rep chest flies, cable flies, or something similar followed by LIGHT side/rear delts and rotator cuff exercises.
    Heavy day would be around 360x1 then 330x3x3 followed by 4 sets of 8-12 rep chest flies, cable flies, or something similar followed by LIGHT side/rear delts and rotator cuff exercises.
    Recovery day would be CG bench 290x3repsx8sets followed by 4 sets of 8-12 rep chest flies, cable flies, or something similar followed by LIGHT side/rear delts and rotator cuff exercises.

    BB bench is not the best chest exercise nor the safest exercise out there but it is how we are judged.
    Chest flies are for pec health and some safe volume.
    Side/rear delts and RC are for shoulder health. DO NOT NEGLECT THESE
    Close grip bench to a powerlifter is about 1" in from you regular bench width.
    If you are shoulder dominant then change CG bench to wide grip bench. (about 1" wider than your normal grip)

    All bench reps should be paused.
    Drop weight if you are going to fail.
    Recovery day reps should be explosive.
    Every subsequent workout you can bump up weight about 5lbs. (If you made it through your 5x5 with all good quality reps then your next 5x5 bump it up 5lbs.)

    Being younger than me you may be able to throw in some tricep work, or a little more BB type work. Weighted dips work great for me. Other powerlifters like incline bench. It depends if you are arm dominant or shoulder dominant.

    I would have you follow this basic program until you are about 5 weeks out.
    At that point you change your speed CG to speed normal grip.
    You would drop your volume day and change it to a heavy double and a 3x3.
    Your heavy day would change to a heavy single and a 2repsx3sets.
    Your volume on flies would decrease. Your volume on delts and RC would decrease.

    You would try to hit your opener and just under your 2nd attempt 1week out.

    Hope this helps.

    I am sure to tweak this a bit.
    Last edited by The Deadlifting Dog; 11-03-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    Chark and Cuz like this.

  22. #22
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,878
    Blog Entries
    1
    @TheDeadliftingDog, do you remember (or ever read) the magazine "Powerlifting USA"? It was a hard core, low budget but trying, magazine from the early nineties or so. Had training and write ups, etc just like the slightly more mainstream BB mags, but focused on PL.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylon357 View Post
    @TheDeadliftingDog, do you remember (or ever read) the magazine "Powerlifting USA"? It was a hard core, low budget but trying, magazine from the early nineties or so. Had training and write ups, etc just like the slightly more mainstream BB mags, but focused on PL.
    I am so old I don't remember the 90s...

    Seriously though... I was a BBer type from about 1983-1995...
    competed once naturally and fell out of love with bodybuilding when I realized that..
    a) I have a very wide waist
    b) I would never look like Lee Haney without drugs. Steroids are the devil!!!

    From 1995-2010, I barely exercised. Think low level wall street lifestyle...

    I discovered powerlifting when I discovered YouTube around 2010.
    Pete Rubish, Chris Hickson, the Lilliebridges, and of couse KK changed my life. (Kinda like Arnold changed my life when I was a kid.)
    Wish I discovered powerlifting years ago. I never would've stopped lifting.

    So the only powerlifting mag I have ever know is Marc Bell's Power.

    Do you compete? Or have you?
    Last edited by The Deadlifting Dog; 11-03-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Cylon357 and Cuz like this.

  24. #24
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,878
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    Do you compete? Or have you?
    I do not and haven't yet and frankly at 52 it's kind of unlikely that I will. Maybe one day, but my current HRT sort of is counterproductive. Clomid is considered a PED by most federations, I think. So, to compete 'clean' (that is, to not feel like i was cheating), I would need to compete in untested meets. Deck would be sort of stacked against me from a pharmaceutical perspective (not even considering my ability or lack thereof).

    That said, my early inspiration in the Iron Game was Franco. I bought one of his early training books and was hooked on 'power building'. Then I discovered power lifting and the various fringe mags in the early 90s but kind of like you, I didn't take it quite as seriously in the late 90s.

    Now I'm a fan of 531 based programs. I find that and similar programs are both something I enjoy and that bring good cost benefit ratio for me personally.

    All that said, maybe when I get to my 60s, I'll start eyeing some masters PL meets!
    Cuz likes this.

  25. #25
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bulkville
    Posts
    5,859
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    I'll try not to be too long...
    And this is what works for me... I am 50 and you are 35 I believe so you probably can up the volume a bit.

    Most powerlifters can bench more often then squat. And they can squat more often then deadlift.
    (I will not address sumo deadlift or super high arch benchers. If you are either of these then let me know.)

    Today I am going to address bench.
    I never do a 1 rep max in the gym.
    To put it in perspective, I have benched 420 in a meet and have many times benched 400+ in a meet.
    The most I have ever benched in the gym is 385.
    Save it for the platform.
    Maxing is risky and taxing. Leave your ego at the door.
    I also try to never miss a rep.
    Many people thinking that getting strong is about grinding reps and getting spotted.
    Getting strong is about good quality repeatable reps under a moderate to heavy load say 80-90%

    Your ass should never come off the bench. Your feet should never move.

    During the begining of meet prep (the first month or two out of a three month cycle)...
    I generally bench about 3 times every 7-9 days.
    I will have a volume day, a heavy day, and a speed/recovery day.

    I am assuming you can bench about 400.
    Volume day would be around 300x5x5 followed by 4 sets of 8-12 rep chest flies, cable flies, or something similar followed by LIGHT side/rear delts and rotator cuff exercises.
    Heavy day would be around 360x1 then 330x3x3 followed by 4 sets of 8-12 rep chest flies, cable flies, or something similar followed by LIGHT side/rear delts and rotator cuff exercises.
    Recovery day would be CG bench 290x3repsx8sets followed by 4 sets of 8-12 rep chest flies, cable flies, or something similar followed by LIGHT side/rear delts and rotator cuff exercises.

    BB bench is not the best chest exercise nor the safest exercise out there but it is how we are judged.
    Chest flies are for pec health and some safe volume.
    Side/rear delts and RC are for shoulder health. DO NOT NEGLECT THESE
    Close grip bench to a powerlifter is about 1" in from you regular bench width.
    If you are shoulder dominant then change CG bench to wide grip bench. (about 1" wider than your normal grip)

    All bench reps should be paused.
    Drop weight if you are going to fail.
    Recovery day reps should be explosive.
    Every subsequent workout you can bump up weight about 5lbs. (If you made it through your 5x5 with all good quality reps then your next 5x5 bump it up 5lbs.)

    Being younger than me you may be able to throw in some tricep work, or a little more BB type work. Weighted dips work great for me. Other powerlifters like incline bench. It depends if you are arm dominant or shoulder dominant.

    I would have you follow this basic program until you are about 5 weeks out.
    At that point you change your speed CG to speed normal grip.
    You would drop your volume day and change it to a heavy double and a 3x3.
    Your heavy day would change to a heavy single and a 2repsx3sets.
    Your volume on flies would decrease. Your volume on delts and RC would decrease.

    You would try to hit your opener and just under your 2nd attempt 1week out.

    Hope this helps.

    I am sure to tweak this a bit.
    Very informative and thank you for sharing the wealth of knowledge. What jumps out at me is you never maxed out in the gym and for me this will be hard to do as i tend to do this alot with singles and doubles. Not alot but i do perform this. With that said i will focus my heavy days on adding reps and gradually moving up weight until i hit a triple. So next week i will find my 3 rep max on my heavy day and with full second pause benching the may be failry low at 365x3 . 420 my first meet would amazing for me and i would be very happy with that but realistically probably 400 unless of course these miracle drugs we take add 40lbs to my BP.

    Thats a pretty easy to follow layout i will ease into that immediately

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    The reasoning behind not maxing in the gym is:
    1) it is high risk of injury
    2) it takes a while to recover from
    3) it doesn't build anything except your ego
    4) it ruins your workout

    As for #4, I'd rather hit 385 for a single, and then get some volume underneath then say 350x2repsx3sets...
    then grind out 405 and be unable to hit the 350x2x3.
    trust me... a true 1rm set drains you... if you can pull 600x1 as a max... hitting 550 afterwards will probably be a grind too...

    So if you work your way up to a heavy single say...
    315x3
    355x2
    385x1
    405x1

    Your workout is done... and you've done all of 7 reps....
    I'd rather trade the 405x1 and replace it with 355x2x3...

    That being said...
    If you were 22yrs old you could probably max every workout and be fine...
    I am sure you remember those days...
    You are almost 36yrs old... all the drugs in the world won't let you train like you are 22yrs old.
    Cuz likes this.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    Alright let's talk deads...

    As I've said before...
    Most powerlifters can bench more often then squat. And they can squat more often then deadlift.
    (I will not address sumo deadlift or super high arch benchers. If you are either of these then let me know.)

    So what I do for a split is:
    squat day, bench day, squat day, bench day, deads, bench day...
    I am married with kids but I usually complete these six days in about 7-9 days so I do take a day off here and there

    For deads...
    Deads are a very taxing exercise that are really shitty for putting on muscle and somewhat dangerous.
    By shitty for putting on muscle I mean:
    There are less taxing exercises for growing your hammies, glutes, lower back, upper back, etc...
    Fuck some people do deads on leg day... others consider them a back exercise.
    Just like DB bench or chest flies are a better mass builder then BB bench... There are better mass builders than deads...

    Anyway, that said...
    I have very shitty deadlifting mechanics... Meaning my back is very parallel when I start my pull.
    The shittier your genetics the less deadlifting volume you should do. (Your lower back can only handle so much stress...)

    If I could pull 545 for a max...
    A typical pull day would be...
    135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 365x3, 405x1, 455x1, 495x1 These should all be as explosive as you can do. If 495x1 doesn't move quickly then it is too heavy.
    I then would do 365x5repsx3sets where I do a slow eccentric. Say about 3 seconds. (These suck.)
    (Most old school lifters know that muscle damage, and thus growth, comes from the eccentric portion of a lift.)
    Therefore, the way most of us pull with dropping the weight quickly does little for muscle growth.
    I would then do either Good Mornings or Leeman's.
    GMs would be an easy 4setsx5reps say 135,155,175,195lbs
    Leeman's (named after George Leeman) is a deadlift where you just go from mid-shin to mid-thigh for high reps say 8-12. You don't lock out. These burn the hammies.
    Say 3-4 sets of 185-205lbs.
    Follow this up with 4 sets of leg extensions and 4 sets of light leg curls. 8-12 reps.
    Every session you try to go up 5-10lbs in deads but you don't want grinders.

    The other type of pull day would be 135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 365x3, 405x1 and then 8-10 sets of 475x1. These should move fast.
    No slow eccentric this day.
    GMs or Leemans to follow with leg extensions and leg curls.

    If you are weak off the floor then the singles day should be deficit deads slightly less weight.

    You can do some bis if your want.

    All deads should be dead stop.
    Never use straps on regular deads.
    You can use straps for the slow eccentrics or the Leemans.

    You may be able to handle more volume then me.
    I am much older and I have horrific leverages.

    Just remember than deads are really shitty at building muscle..
    They are great at getting you better at deads.
    If your lower back gets toasted then Leemans are better then GMs.
    If your lower back doesn't get toasted then you can add some deadlifting volume.
    Remember the accesories are what adds muscle.
    The deads are for getting better at pulling. All deads should be fast.

    Also, it may not seem like much but you are going to be squatting twice for every deadlift workout and squats hit your lower back too...

    The biggest mistake I see most newer powerlifters make is focusing too much on just squat, bench, deads...
    They may get strong at those lifts but they don't even look like they lift.
    Meanwhile you take a BBer with muscle built and I guarantee you I can make him a good powerlifter.

    Take S&D, fucker out benchs me and he doesn't even powerlift.
    why? because he has muscle mass.
    Never neglect the accesories.

    As you get to be about 5 weeks out this all gets thrown out the window and you pretty much just work on fast doubles and singles.
    Something like 135x3,225x3,315x3,365x1,405x1,455x1, then 495x2x5
    Then next workout would 135x3,225x3,315x3,365x1,405x1,455x1, then 515x1x5
    Drop the slow eccentrics.
    Drop the GMs. Drop the Leemans.
    Keep very light leg extensions and leg curls.


    About 2 weeks out you have your heaviest pulls... By then I imagine you would work up to 495x1, 535x1, 565x1
    I guarantee you they'll all move fine.
    If that is so then you'll be near 600 come meet day.
    Last edited by The Deadlifting Dog; 11-04-2020 at 07:39 PM.

  28. #28
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bulkville
    Posts
    5,859
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    Alright let's talk deads...

    As I've said before...
    Most powerlifters can bench more often then squat. And they can squat more often then deadlift.
    (I will not address sumo deadlift or super high arch benchers. If you are either of these then let me know.)

    So what I do for a split is:
    squat day, bench day, squat day, bench day, deads, bench day...
    I am married with kids but I usually complete these six days in about 7-9 days so I do take a day off here and there

    For deads...
    Deads are a very taxing exercise that are really shitty for putting on muscle and somewhat dangerous.
    By shitty for putting on muscle I mean:
    There are less taxing exercises for growing your hammies, glutes, lower back, upper back, etc...
    Fuck some people do deads on leg day... others consider them a back exercise.
    Just like DB bench or chest flies are a better mass builder then BB bench... There are better mass builders than deads...

    Anyway, that said...
    I have very shitty deadlifting mechanics... Meaning my back is very parallel when I start my pull.
    The shittier your genetics the less deadlifting volume you should do. (Your lower back can only handle so much stress...)

    If I could pull 545 for a max...
    A typical pull day would be...
    135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 365x3, 405x1, 455x1, 495x1 These should all be as explosive as you can do. If 495x1 doesn't move quickly then it is too heavy.
    I then would do 365x5repsx3sets where I do a slow eccentric. Say about 3 seconds. (These suck.)
    (Most old school lifters know that muscle damage, and thus growth, comes from the eccentric portion of a lift.)
    Therefore, the way most of us pull with dropping the weight quickly does little for muscle growth.
    I would then do either Good Mornings or Leeman's.
    GMs would be an easy 4setsx5reps say 135,155,175,195lbs
    Leeman's (named after George Leeman) is a deadlift where you just go from mid-shin to mid-thigh for high reps say 8-12. You don't lock out. These burn the hammies.
    Say 3-4 sets of 185-205lbs.
    Follow this up with 4 sets of leg extensions and 4 sets of light leg curls. 8-12 reps.
    Every session you try to go up 5-10lbs in deads but you don't want grinders.

    The other type of pull day would be 135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 365x3, 405x1 and then 8-10 sets of 475x1. These should move fast.
    No slow eccentric this day.
    GMs or Leemans to follow with leg extensions and leg curls.

    If you are weak off the floor then the singles day should be deficit deads slightly less weight.

    You can do some bis if your want.

    All deads should be dead stop.
    Never use straps on regular deads.
    You can use straps for the slow eccentrics or the Leemans.

    You may be able to handle more volume then me.
    I am much older and I have horrific leverages.

    Just remember than deads are really shitty at building muscle..
    They are great at getting you better at deads.
    If your lower back gets toasted then Leemans are better then GMs.
    If your lower back doesn't get toasted then you can add some deadlifting volume.
    Remember the accesories are what adds muscle.
    The deads are for getting better at pulling. All deads should be fast.

    Also, it may not seem like much but you are going to be squatting twice for every deadlift workout and squats hit your lower back too...

    The biggest mistake I see most newer powerlifters make is focusing too much on just squat, bench, deads...
    They may get strong at those lifts but they don't even look like they lift.
    Meanwhile you take a BBer with muscle built and I guarantee you I can make him a good powerlifter.

    Take S&D, fucker out benchs me and he doesn't even powerlift.
    why? because he has muscle mass.
    Never neglect the accesories.

    As you get to be about 5 weeks out this all gets thrown out the window and you pretty much just work on fast doubles and singles.
    Something like 135x3,225x3,315x3,365x1,405x1,455x1, then 495x2x5
    Then next workout would 135x3,225x3,315x3,365x1,405x1,455x1, then 515x1x5
    Drop the slow eccentrics.
    Drop the GMs. Drop the Leemans.
    Keep very light leg extensions and leg curls.


    About 2 weeks out you have your heaviest pulls... By then I imagine you would work up to 495x1, 535x1, 565x1
    I guarantee you they'll all move fine.
    If that is so then you'll be near 600 come meet day.
    This is pretty deep and technical. Im gonna have to read and studdy this several times. Thanks for info, when I figure out a little more about what im doing I think can comment more on the post. Im working every day this week so my time is kinda pressed. Really appreciate the in depth responses.

  29. #29
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,394
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    If you were 22yrs old you could probably max every workout and be fine...
    I am sure you remember those days...
    You are almost 36yrs old... all the drugs in the world won't let you train like you are 22yrs old.
    Respect your elders. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Respect your elders. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    you're old too right??
    55+?

    Not many guys can do what you do at your age... (meant as a compliment... hopefully I'll still be competing in my 50s)

  31. #31
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bulkville
    Posts
    5,859
    In my state, Submasters bench record for 220lb is 413.xx. Im coming for it, and by God im hungry

  32. #32
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,394
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    you're old too right??
    55+?

    Not many guys can do what you do at your age... (meant as a compliment... hopefully I'll still be competing in my 50s)
    54. It is harder and harder each year, but I blame the aches and pains on the workouts instead of old age. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chark likes this.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    In my state, Submasters bench record for 220lb is 413.xx. Im coming for it, and by God im hungry
    What federation are you competing in?
    USPA, USAPL, USPC, SPF, etc...

    400 is a good bench for a 220er...
    granted at the elite level, the number is 500.

    With my 400 bench, I am consistently at or just off the top bench at 220 at local meets.

  34. #34
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bulkville
    Posts
    5,859
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    What federation are you competing in?
    USPA, USAPL, USPC, SPF, etc...

    400 is a good bench for a 220er...
    granted at the elite level, the number is 500.

    With my 400 bench, I am consistently at or just off the top bench at 220 at local meets.
    USPA. Ill be happy if i can do it.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    USPA is legit.
    Make sure you squat to depth every set. SPF and RPS are a little more lenient on depth.
    You'll get to use a deadlift bar.
    You'll have a 24hr weigh in. (Meaning you'll have to weigh in the day before... I usually weigh-in at 218ish and compete around 226ish.)
    You'll get to bench on your toes if you want but your feet can't move.

    Have you ever used ammonia?

  36. #36
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bulkville
    Posts
    5,859
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    USPA is legit.
    Make sure you squat to depth every set. SPF and RPS are a little more lenient on depth.
    You'll get to use a deadlift bar.
    You'll have a 24hr weigh in. (Meaning you'll have to weigh in the day before... I usually weigh-in at 218ish and compete around 226ish.)
    You'll get to bench on your toes if you want but your feet can't move.

    Have you ever used ammonia?
    U must go in dehydrated as fuck! Damn! So if you come under 220 ur good to go in the 220 class right? No never used ammonia before and yea usually bench on my toes with as much arch as possible which isnt much

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,766
    I’ll go low carb for 3-4 days, that will lose 3-4lbs.
    Then the day before weigh in don’t drink much water and hit a hot tub. That’ll cut 3-4lbs.
    Then don’t eat breakfast and weigh in at 8am the day before.
    After you make weight have plenty of fluids and supplement salt and electrolytes. You’ll fill right back up.
    Cuz likes this.

  38. #38
    Chark's Avatar
    Chark is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    360
    I don’t PL but found writeup incredibly interesting. Thank you DD
    SampsonandDelilah and Cuz like this.

  39. #39
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chark View Post
    I don’t PL but found writeup incredibly interesting. Thank you DD
    Agreed, great info!
    Cuz likes this.

  40. #40
    Gallowmere's Avatar
    Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    U must go in dehydrated as fuck! Damn! So if you come under 220 ur good to go in the 220 class right? No never used ammonia before and yea usually bench on my toes with as much arch as possible which isnt much
    Thatís actually not much of a cut for 24 hours. Some psychos like Kroc would weigh in dry at 220, while their daily walkaround weight was closer to 250. No one does shit that extreme on 2-hr weigh in feds, but 24 is plenty to put a lot of shit back into your system.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •