Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 1 Post By SampsonandDelilah

Thread: BFR Training

MakoShark is offline New Member

BFR Training

Hey guys. Getting ready to hang ‘em up after 10+ years of a professional sport. No more wada testing means first cycle soon.

I have had countless injuries and surgeries - the worst of which being my knees. I no longer have a lateral meniscus on my right knee (severely arthritic now) and my left is also arthritic. The thing that has kept my career going as long as it has is the utilization of BFR: blood flow restriction. Not the bro-science shit that you just wrap something around tight so you get a pump. I’m talking the heavily heavily studied rehab/prehab strengthening and maintenance.

The typical usage for lower extremity is 80% occlusion with 4 sets of work. 30reps/15/15/15. With just body weight. It’s brutal. Excruciating even. And the science indicates that it works the muscle tissues even more so than using weight alone. But my lord does it work. I am a massive advocate. Here is the leader in the area if you guys want to go deeper into the research and science (no I do not work for them or get kickbacks) https://www.owensrecoveryscience.com

Unbeknownst to the general population, BFR is the main reason why athletes are able to recover from ACLs and other major injuries in half the time of previous years. Many pro team have 10+ units for BFR in their athletic training facilities.

All the bullshit explanation finally brings me to my question - have any of you guys used BFR as part of your training with AAS? I cannot squat heavy regularly anymore due to my geriatric knees. So I rely heavily on hypertrophy and BFR. Just wondering what you guys think.

Mako

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    I generally try to avoid any bloodflow restriction during my workouts. The heart is trying hard to pump blood and you're essentially making its job harder. My whole thing during exercise is to get my blood vessels to be as open and elastic as possible. Cutting off circulation to your limbs while the heart is pumping away can't be good for the cardiovascular system... The order of importance for me these days is Cardiovascular system > Joints/tendons/ligaments > Muscles. I don't usually go for weird shit, I stick to the basics, and so far it's worked for me.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I’ve tried it, crippled my legs for a few days with not much weight at all. In the end, it wasn’t for me and like TMO I just stick to the basics. I’m no pro and have zero aspirations in that regard. Push and pull with varied compound resistance works for me
    Chark likes this.

Thread Information