Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By almostgone

Thread: Should I use chains hanging from the bar?

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)

Question Should I use chains hanging from the bar?

I already posted this in the workout section a week or two ago but got no reply.

My new gym has chains hanging from the bar, and I used them two days ago for squating.

Now I realise that chains are bad ass, they make a metalic clinking sound as they pile up on the ground, and all the girls take notice and desire that you would sire their children ------ but apart from how cool chains are, should I really use them?

Is it definitely beneficial to use chains when benching, squating and deadlifting? I definitely noticed my legs were sorer than normal the next day.

This week I've used chains for flat bench, squats and deadlifts.

Swilderbeast is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    I already posted this in the workout section a week or two ago but got no reply.

My new gym has chains hanging from the bar, and I used them two days ago for squating.

Now I realise that chains are bad ass, they make a metalic clinking sound as they pile up on the ground, and all the girls take notice and desire that you would sire their children ------ but apart from how cool chains are, should I really use them?

Is it definitely beneficial to use chains when benching, squating and deadlifting? I definitely noticed my legs were sorer than normal the next day.

This week I've used chains for flat bench, squats and deadlifts.

It adds weight gradually as you move through full range of motion. And being that movement past the half way point is the easiest part of any lift, the chains add weight to continue giving you more resistance even past the half way point. So I think they are beneficial.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Chains help train you to handle more weight as you unrack the bar which starts adding the chain weight, but I found the main benefit is you pick up speed out of the hole when most of the chain weight is on the floor, then kicks in as the chain comes off the floor. Basically you're "overloaded" at the top and loaded/micro-overloaded at the bottom.

If you're training with them for the "cool" factor, it could be considered borderline pathetic by the ladies who know the purpose of using chains.

For what it's worth, set it up so you leave a few links on the floor at the top of your lift. It cuts down on the chains swinging around. Take the time to learn how to setup your hanger chains properly.

However, if you enjoy it, more power to you.... literally.

Another option for overloading is using resistance bands in lieu of chains. Be aware that resistance bands can kick in quickly.
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-02-2022 at 04:03 PM.
    Cuz likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information