• 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 2 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong

Thread: Astragalus

Zenpump is offline Junior Member

Astragalus

Hey All,

This was a hot topic on threads past. What is the final; verdict on whether this helps improve kidney function tests without side effects?

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    For a while, I thought astragalus was helping me as I had an ultrasound after taking it for a month or so that had good bloodflow. But fast forward a year and a half, my eGFR went from 38 to 30. But there are a lot of people who have good results with it. I don't think it can hurt to take it, but don't be thinking that it's going to ensure good kidney function.
    Zenpump likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    For a while, I thought astragalus was helping me as I had an ultrasound after taking it for a month or so that had good bloodflow. But fast forward a year and a half, my eGFR went from 38 to 30. But there are a lot of people who have good results with it. I don't think it can hurt to take it, but don't be thinking that it's going to ensure good kidney function.
    Thanks

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I'm of the same opinion as Honkey_Kong. I'll add that I think the root cause of the low kidney function may determine whether astragalus actually improves eGFR or not.

In my case, I had cysts on my kidneys that were going to be drained. After a couple of months (+/-) use of astragalus, the next ultrasound showed the cysts were almost gone (no pun intended). Perhaps it was a coincidence and I definitely wouldn't count on astragalus as a cure for any renal disease.

Google "Doggcrapp and astragalus". He (Dante) has a decent writeup posted on the subject.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I'm of the same opinion as Honkey_Kong. I'll add that I think the root cause of the low kidney function may determine whether astragalus actually improves eGFR or not.

In my case, I had cysts on my kidneys that were going to be drained. After a couple of months (+/-) use of astragalus, the next ultrasound showed the cysts were almost gone (no pun intended). Perhaps it was a coincidence and I definitely wouldn't count on astragalus as a cure for any renal disease.

Google "Doggcrapp and astragalus". He (Dante) has a decent writeup posted on the subject.
    As it pertains to using gear. I wouldn't just take astragalus thinking that'll save my kidneys from whatever bad shit I put my kidneys through. Managing high blood pressure will do a lot more for the kidneys than any herbal supplement will as far as preventing damage. And this is something that guys tend to ignore when they're planning their cycles. Organ damage from high blood pressure is a very long-term thing and they won't necessarily notice any specific problem after 1, 2, 3 or more cycles. But it's happening overtime slowly. There are no symptoms until it's too late.

That being said, I can se astragalus as being a tool to treat and prevent some issues.
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    As it pertains to using gear. I wouldn't just take astragalus thinking that'll save my kidneys from whatever bad shit I put my kidneys through. Managing high blood pressure will do a lot more for the kidneys than any herbal supplement will as far as preventing damage. And this is something that guys tend to ignore when they're planning their cycles. Organ damage from high blood pressure is a very long-term thing and they won't necessarily notice any specific problem after 1, 2, 3 or more cycles. But it's happening overtime slowly. There are no symptoms until it's too late.

That being said, I can se astragalus as being a tool to treat and prevent some issues.
    Well said. BP is #1 and its where, with AAS, one has to be doubly careful because AAS use increases the workload AND increases the BP. I was mainly wondering if Astralagus should or shouldnt be added to my daily regimen for prevention (I take Circumin and Resveratrol and they both do wonders for inflammation)

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenpump View Post
    Well said. BP is #1 and its where, with AAS, one has to be doubly careful because AAS use increases the workload AND increases the BP. I was mainly wondering if Astralagus should or shouldnt be added to my daily regimen for prevention (I take Circumin and Resveratrol and they both do wonders for inflammation)
    I don't see anything wrong with use as a preventative. That's basically where I'm at now, but I'm also diligent about taking my BP meds/cardiac meds and monitoring my BP.
    Last edited by almostgone; 05-27-2023 at 05:56 PM.
    Zenpump and Honkey_Kong like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenpump View Post
    It's not just an AAS thing. Everybody should be monitoring their and taking preventative measure. It's just more vital with gear, because of what it does to RBCs and the cardiovascular system in general. Most people who have high blood pressure don't even know it, until there's permanent damage on the body's internal organs.

To use a car analogy, it's a hell of a lot easier to change your car's oil every 3-5k miles than it is to wait for engine problems
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 05-29-2023 at 03:28 AM.
    Zenpump likes this.

Thread Information