DGover56 is offline New Member

Hey, D-Tackle here, Need off-season speed tips

Hey you guys, My name is Dallas, I'm 17, 6'2 and 290 pounds.

I have a problem trying to get my speed down, see I figure that now-a-days being my size and on the line, it's all about speed. I'm already the strongest lineman on my high school team. But I am sick of chump change, I'm wantin to get ready for college, and I know the road starts right now.

Now I know that the weight is an issue, I mean I'm not obese or anything, but runnin with 290 pounds is difficult, I started my diet already lost ten pounds in a week and a half.

But I really need tips on speed, Explosivness, Agility, balance, maybe even having a faster 40 and shuttle run..

If anybody has some tips for me it would be greatly appriciated. (tips for spin and swim moves will be cool to)

but any professional or anybody, I will gladly listen, pay or whatever for some tips to make me a better athlete.

Thanks!

# 56

soccer#3 is offline Anabolic Member
    290 at 17?? Kid ur fuccin huge.

I play soccer and speed is a major issue for us too. What I do is make sure i train my whole body good and hard. Speed isnt just about ur legs, but ur arms and abs too. Basically ur whole body.

Certain days I do sprints at the gym. That i would say is a good start. Probably a 50 meter dash at 10 times.

If i was u i'd experiment, see what does what. Do some other sports on the side besides football, i dunno if u can play soccer but that will give u good leg coordination and balance.

Use the search up to ur right, im sure u can find some good threads on this topic. And dont pay for something thats free.

Good luck dude
    Last edited by soccer#3; 03-03-2006 at 05:22 PM.

JJEB2 is offline Member
    for explosiveness there are many thing that could be done as far as in the weightroom or simply incorporated in a running workout. first, you will need to specialize your program for sport specific. you need to be quick, explosive, fast and strong. i would work on your core. Most people think the core is just refering to the abs but this is simply untrue. you need to work the lumbars, obliques and hip girdle. excercises such as weighted abs on a high pulley, swiss ball abs, med ball abs, trunk roatations, and leg lifts. for your lower back you can do pull throughs, hyperextensions, or Good mornings.

Olympic lifts are extremely important for any sports. it provides power which is the combination of speed and strength which will correlate to the field. there are lifts such as clean pulls, front squats, snatches, hang cleans, and power cleans. there are other explosive lifts as well such as power press and squat jumps.

as far as speed that is based on your stride length and form. form is ideal. you need to work on teaching your nervous system to work fast. drills such as a skip, b skip, high knee ass kicks, ass kicks. basically working on your form through simple drills. stride length is the hardest thing to change but strengthening the core and hips can help alot. strides will teach the runner to stride the legs out. when running keep everything tight. the arms are lip to hip meaning the arm stays ina fixed position with a more than a 90 degree angle. it goes up to the lip and down to the hips as fast as possible. the arms never should come across the body and stay ina straight line. running drills for this such as working on arm technique on a sprint or really focusing on stamping the foot down will help. remember run on the balls of the feet and not on the ball to the heel. every tenth of a second counts and stride turnover is key.

as far as running i would build a base first with some endurance sprint ie 150s. like lifting, running has a method to its madness. it has to be systematic and planned. reps and sets and rest times are imperative.

stretching is a big deal. always stretch. strech everyday. the more limber you are the faster you can be. a tight muscle is not a fast muscle.

you need to work on your first step out of your running stance. not your football stance but your forty time stance. i put my power foot first and then my other in line with me heel in the back. i keep my ass high and my head low. i put all my weight on my right hand. always stay low. explode off your foot and stay low. dont pick your head up until you reach full speed. always keep the form and drive through the ground with high knees.

explosion can get better through plyometrics. plyos are jumps and bounds in many different forms. ur best bet is to search on google and there is a pluthera of info regarding that.

having a lower bf will help as well.

agilties are very good. work on your foot speed with a speed ladder or a dot drill. do bag work. weaving and jumping ect ect. basically what u do at practice.

as far football make sure that you always stay low and have leverage. always get ur hands inside first. u need quick hands so work on teh cleans and then you will see how it carries over. hands under the pads and lock the hips and drive. create seperation as a d lineman and you will win everytime.
    create leverage and set them up for a move.

as far as a schedule:
    monday- sprint workout
    tues-forms, drills with sprinting
    wed-sprint workout
    thurs-same as tues
    fri-same as wed and monday

everyday you go to the track. warm up with half a mile slow pace very slow. then stretch. then do your forms for running. then stretch again if needed. if its a workout day then do ur sprint workout. if not then do some drills such as strides or working on forms incorporated in a 50% runs a few times. after all that you will warm down and then stretch.

lifting- this is how i do mine but u can do whatever you please

monday-
    bench 5 sets of 3
    cg decline-3x5
    delts- choose rear front or do side laterals 3x10
    lats-bb rows
    abs
    snatches

tues
    squat
    one legged squats, step ups, lunges- choose one
    hammys
    hips
    lower back
    abs
    cleans
    bis

wed-off

thurs same as monday but this is a light day. everything is higher reps and a recovery day. use this to help your body to recover and make some gains.

fri is the same as tues except i do front squats

i do abs every workouts

that should help but i would search for olympic lifting such as the main ones i said above. search plyometrics and speed training as well. you should get plenty of info

buckeyefootball4 is offline Senior Member
    wow intresting thread

JJEB2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyefootball4
    wow intresting thread
    do you play at ohio state? if so you guys have a great sprint coach. he was an olympic sprinter. i forget his name. i would like to hear some of his training practices.

pelly789 is offline Member

?

im pretty sure he doesnt play for ohio state

Quote Originally Posted by DGover56

I'm already the strongest lineman on my high school team. But I am sick of chump change, I'm wantin to get ready for college, and I know the road starts right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JJEB2
    do you play at ohio state? if so you guys have a great sprint coach. he was an olympic sprinter. i forget his name. i would like to hear some of his training practices.

BUTCH REYNOLDS, I SPOKE TO HIM YESTERDAY..

[QUOTE=pelly789]im pretty sure he doesnt play for ohio state[/QUO

SO WHY DO U THINK THAT MISS. CLEO- PLZ DONT PULL UR CARDS OUT!!

JJEB2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyefootball4
    BUTCH REYNOLDS, I SPOKE TO HIM YESTERDAY..
    that must be awesome to have a guy like that around for help with speed training.

pelly789 is offline Member
    I'm already the strongest lineman on my high school team. But I am sick of chump change, I'm wantin to get ready for college, and I know the road starts right now.
    that is why i think that because from the looks of it your still in h.s.

hipnoticstylz94 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly789
    that is why i think that because from the looks of it your still in h.s.

Sorry Pele he isnt the guy who said that. Other guy did. But I guess I can see where you got confused and all...

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DGover56
    Hey you guys, My name is Dallas, I'm 17, 6'2 and 290 pounds.
    Sorry.. minimum browsing age here is 18. I've suspended your account for 1 year

~Narkissos

highlighthits is offline New Member

how to get fast

You play D tackle so your forty doesnt mean shit. Colleges coaches know this, my father is one, I play J.C. Ball in Cali right now. What you need to work on is your explosion of the line. You need to do short high intesity sprints. Like 10 and 20 yard get offs and some forties to, but do the math you will not run more then 30 to 40 yards in one play even if youre playing Mike vick. you also need to do Heavy Parrallell squats, and Jump squats. Power and hang cleans, and snatches. And plyometrics. Like box jumps and agility latters to work on your foot speed and lateral movement. You also need to work on your hand speed and quickness because if you dont have any moves you will be nothing but an inside plugg tackle. College coaches arnt interested in that. They want athletes and they will get them. I recomend using plyo balls, or medicine balls and throwing them. This will help you build fast twitch fibers in youre upper body as well to give you quicker hands. Because great hands and quick feet make great lineman.

Thread Information