Thread: 1-aa football

pelly789 is offline Member

Exclamation 1-aa football

hey guys i was wondering if any of you out there play 1-aa football and could tell me a little about the workouts and expectations of being on the team im goin to try out for the football team this coming year at CCSU im going to be a soph. in college next year, i took my freshman year off due to a rotator cuff injury. i want to play middle/outside linebacker im 6'0 and 218 what do you guys think am i big enough or what? thanks for any help and info on this

DBflash21 is offline Member
    I have some information for you. What is CCSU?

the college i go to its central connecticut state university

DBflash21 is offline Member
    PM if you have any questions.

The Shredder is offline Associate Member
    You can PM me also with questions about D1 football

fatback25 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly789
    hey guys i was wondering if any of you out there play 1-aa football and could tell me a little about the workouts and expectations of being on the team im goin to try out for the football team this coming year at CCSU im going to be a soph. in college next year, i took my freshman year off due to a rotator cuff injury. i want to play middle/outside linebacker im 6'0 and 218 what do you guys think am i big enough or what? thanks for any help and info on this
    First of all bro, what is your football background? If you have any high school film available to you then you might consider sending some game film to the coaching staff at your school. And I wouldn't worry about size either. If the coaches give you a tryout I can almost bet that the first and probably only test they will give you is the 40yd dash. If you pop off a 4.5-4.6 or lower I guarantee they will give you a spot on the team. Anything higher than a mid 4.6 wont get much attention. Size would only matter if you were like 6'4 or higher. Otherwise you are just another average sized athlete with no speed! D1 teams are only allowed 105 players to report for two a days so you've got to be a valuable commodity to the coaching staff. D1 coaches get approached by guys wanting to walk on all the time and Bro most of the time most coaches don't even want to deal with them. If you do make the team be prepared to be treated like shit by everyone(coaches and players) until you prove you are a real player. If graduating and getting your degree from ccsu is your top priority then I would say train hard and give it a shot because you never know. But if you really want to play football(and I mean play on the field not just wear the uniform so you can get some split-tail) then I would consider transferring to a smaller school or going the juco route. It worked for me and the chances of you playing at a big school would increase.

thanks for the info fatback my history with football goes back to when i was 5 and started playing flag football up to my senior year in h.s. my senior year i was a decent player i had made all conference and all state second team and broke my schools sack record...i do have lots of film and i would love to play i got accepted to play at norwich university in vermont but decided last minute that it was too far away from home so i didnt go(probaly the worst mistake of my life) but anyways thanks agian man

Well man with all that you should to be able to put together a pretty good tape. Go into the coaches offices and see whats up. Try to get into the team w/o's over the summer. Train hard and good luck bro!

my weightlifting has been consistent although i feel like my running/40 time is probaly pretty bad since i havent run in a long time do you think i should keep training on my own then go see the coach right after the semesters over? i really will get my ass kicked in conditioning not sure what to do

Yeah bro I would say bust your ass over the rest of this month and through the end of the semester. Work on your speed. Alot of good articles on speed. Train explosively in the weightroom and get your body fat % down. Put together a good tape and go into the coaches office and talk to them. See if you can get a recommendation from your old head high school coach.

Have you ruled out transferring? I'm telling you, unless you got like a 1100 + SAT or someting, going the juco route would still be a good option. JMHO.

no i havent ruled out transferring my plan was to play next year and junior year at ccsu and transfer to uconn for my senior year that would be ideal in my eyes and by the way i dont know what you mean by the juco route

padik01 is offline New Member

Consider jc

He means play jc football. If you're planning on transferring to a D1a team, I would definately go the juco route. Think of it this way, you could make the D1aa team and not play as much as you like or tear it up at a juco and get a lot of looks from D1a teams. I know plenty of guys that played a year at D1aa teams, left for a juco and played one year, then got a big time scholarship. Think about it and pm me if you have a juco questions.

Thread Information