truck is offline New Member

my start sucks help me!!!

Hey just started training for my 40y again. Boy after a year off and 30 extra pounds my drive phase or start of my forty is terrible first 10 yards I'm coming out slow any suggestions. I'm at a 5.2 right now my goal is a solid 4.9 by season. I'm 6'4 270lbs, hell with impoving my start and get into running more sprints, I think I can dip into the 4.8's. What can I do to improve my start? I really don't have anyone to help me out, I'm going to work a little with the high school track coach that teaches at my college, but I figure you guys may have some great knowlege to help a bro out.

buckeyefootball4 is offline Senior Member
    get stronger

soccer#3 is offline Anabolic Member
    Take short steps on your toes and picture yourself runnin up a hill, head faced down, bring it up midway thru the distance. Use ur arms a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by soccer#3
    Take short steps on your toes and picture yourself runnin up a hill, head faced down, bring it up midway thru the distance. Use ur arms a lot.
    never take short steps..

The Shredder is offline Associate Member
    I really try to run hard on my hamstrings, get a good reach and explode down putting losts of strang on my hammy's. Kinda hard to explain in words.

I don't mean to be a dick, but buckeye thats stating the obvious. I'm talking technique and or some running drills. I know my form isn't perfect and the start is the biggest key to getting a good time, I just don't have a lot of access to someone to help me out at my college.

I think I get what your trying to say shredder, I got a HS track coach to work with me tomorrow and I'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by truck
    I don't mean to be a dick, but buckeye thats stating the obvious. I'm talking technique and or some running drills. I know my form isn't perfect and the start is the biggest key to getting a good time, I just don't have a lot of access to someone to help me out at my college.

I think I get what your trying to say shredder, I got a HS track coach to work with me tomorrow and I'll see how that goes.

i cant help unless i c video of u running, i dont do cookie cutter tips.

soccer#3 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyefootball4
    never take short steps..
    whatever works for u...
    short steps works for me during the start

Quote Originally Posted by soccer#3
    whatever works for u...
    short steps works for me during the start

lol, its not what works for me-its whats right.. do u see world class sprinters ever taking short choppy steps, but i do see tight people taking short choppy steps..

JJEB2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyefootball4
    lol, its not what works for me-its whats right.. do u see world class sprinters ever taking short choppy steps, but i do see tight people taking short choppy steps..
    you are correct but personally i dont believe in changing an athletes style of running. mechanics is only so much. a person trying to overextend can cause them to pull a hamstring. a base needs to be formed as far as stretching, core strength, hip strength, glute and hammy strength. they all need to be very balanced. as i am myself having issues with my hamstrings right now. i am unbalanced. i tried to change my form and increase my stride length and i just get injuries. so i would say he needs to increase all of thos things and increase his explosiveness and work to his capacity as far as his stride length.

I got some good feed back from the track coach i worked with today. in my drive I wasn't getting my knees up/ heel up enough, plus my arms were swining side to side until i got up and going. So in just that little session I increased my first four steps by about 2 1/2 feet. He showed me how to do a skips, b skips and fast leg correctly and said that'll help me out. So with some work I think in about 2-3 weeks I'm betting I'll drop my fourty another 2 tenths down to a 5.0

DBflash21 is offline Member
    Awesome bro. I ran track in college, and the skips are the key. A skips, B skips, high knees... all that stuff programs have you do but people normally just b.s. through it. Leg drive, and arms are the key. I was taught that arms go ear to beyond the hip. Good luck, and if you want some further information PM me.

Sprint drills do not in and of themselves develop proper sprint mechanics and may in fact be detrimental. Sprint drills can however provide an opportunity to teach cues that can be used in full speed sprinting, or create desired sensations which may carry over to full speed sprinting. These benefits however are contingent on the manner in which the sprint drills are performed. Sprint drills may also be used to develop certain physical capacities or warmup the athlete.

well since they should help me concentrate on leg drive and keeping my arms in the proper motion it'll help a lot since that is where I was lacking. My 10m-40 is pretty good for a big guy, just have more work to do. I'm also working with a chiropracter who is helping me keep certain core muscles strong so when they don't get weak and cause larger muscles to shut down. If I my time starts dropping here soon He'll use me as a pilot study and I won't have to pay for his services and he'll help me out tell After the season especially if I get some work outs with teams or go to some open tryouts. He wants to work more with conventional athletes since the majorty of his clientel is road and moutain bikers.

oh and thanks DBflash If i run into some more things I need to tweek or need some advice I'll pm you bro...
    Last edited by truck; 03-30-2006 at 02:40 PM.

skribbble is offline Member
    get more explosive, train oly lifts and squat and heavy ass lunges.

Thread Information