stronger1986 is offline New Member

Low row cable back pain?

I'm experiencing some issues on cycle with on exercise (group) rows and low rows. I think my form has always been fine? Now when i do them I experience unusual post workout low back pain. Im gonna try scaling back the weight, but has anyone else experienced this. I guess my main fear is liver pain but I'm not on orals ?

I guess for relevance I should mention I'm a distance runner.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Stretch the hams

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Your liver is not down by your Lower back so don't worry about that....

There are two things I can think of...

1. This is the most likely issue I can think of from what you have given us... Go to a running shop and ask them to monitor your running style and see if your pelvis/ hips are rocking from side to side.... You have 2 muscle called 'quadrants lumborum', they originate on the iliac crest/ hip and insert on the lowest rib and then L1, 2 and 3 (lower spine).... They are there to keep your hips square and support the lower spine..... Running can overtrain these muscle as you can imagine when your foot lands the hip wants to move up.... The opposite QL prevents this by contracting.... You may have some kind of repetitive strain injury that just requires some rest and maybe a little deep tissue therapy....

2. The other thing I can think of is that your lower back is weak and your using too much weight and the lower back is having a hard time supporting your torso.... Personally I go really light on low rows and sit dead up right if not leaning forward slightly..... I don't ned much weight this way cuz im just using my lats and upper back, no lower back and little bicep TBH...

Hope this helps

It does I think your spot in with quadrant muscles being the issue. I have custom orthotics and run in a Japanese shoe that sponsors us.

I'll have to do more research in strengthening these. Thank you

Thread Information