DNoMac is offline Senior Member

Protein Absorption

Was wondering if anybody had a link to some medical articles on protein absorption. I know there have been a few threads on this, and I've read that one can only absorb ~30gms a sitting. I would think not everybody could be categorized into one category (120lb female vs 220lb BBer), however I was looking for studies.

I'm taking a Human Nutrition class and they are putting the RDA of protein at around 65gms, and an upper level of around 130. I'm sure most of you including myself get at least double that. I'm all natural so my intake would be different from somebody who's on AAS, but I'm wondering why people would consume so much in one sitting if you can only absorb ~30-40. Anyway, studies on this would be appreciated.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    yeah heres how i do it ...

take 2.2g Protein per lb of LBM

then subract ur pwo shake protein adn subtract ur PWO MEALprotein those are crammed into a 1hr spread ..

then that leaves u w/ x amount of protein divided by x amount of meals during the day so 5-6meals

For me...it comes out to about 75g Protein per meal and it has bee working great.. im growing
    no high protein sides IE amonia smell and stinky urine so thats just the taiology behind protein intake.

Thanks Tai
    Last edited by DNoMac; 02-26-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Bump, nothing Johan? You usually always have something good

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    thanks bro.

The only real reson I keep a high protein intake is because its much better to get kcal from protein than from fat or carbs(when it comes to keeping lean or cutting that is). I dont think there is a need for lots of protein for growth alone. I have bulked sometimes with only 150g protein/day and sometimes with 300g/day. Only difference is that the lower protein intake fattens me up but overall I seem to gain equaly good.

The ammount of protein that goes straight into building muscle is phatetic. A few grams each day.

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    I never knew that that werid smelly urine was a side from high protein. Some guy told me the other day that the maximum amount of protein that can be consumed in one sitting was 45g. I don't know how much truth there is to that. I go over that amount whenever I eat.

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    I'm takin nutrition in school and my teacher said something the other day about how water is used in the breakdown of aminos in protein so drinking a glass of water after a protein shake may help for more to be absorbed or something.. I'll double check on what he was saying next week

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    When people speak about max absorption of protein what do they exactly mean? its a very open ended question.

If the question is how many grams of the protein in a meal goes to muscle tissue buildup the answere is probably less then a gram. If it means how much protein can be utilised as kcal in each meal Im guessing its close to 100% unless we are talking about obscene ammounts, but that might be way of.

Simplified the body works by having a pool of aminoacids circulting in the body of roughly(my memory is off but I think) 100 grams. If it goves above those 100 grams like after a meal protein is throw off to be burned as energy. If it becomes less than 100 grams the body will scavange to raise it. All processes that requires protein pulls aminoacids from this pool. The body also strives to keep the right balance betwen aminoacids in the pool so if if gets say abundance of glutamin it will throw that away to be burned as energy.

I dont have any clue on how the pool size depends on ammount of muscle tissue and things like that.

Giantz get your ass in here

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    Hydrolyzed Protein:
    Hydrolyzed or hydrolyses is a method of adding water to protein molecules to help break (lyses) them into smaller parts called peptides. Peptides are collections of 2 to 5 amino acid (the building blocks of protein) chains which are theoretically absorbed faster. It is something like a form of pre-digestion. My sources indicate that this method is the most expensive approach to concentrating proteins and rarely appears as the first ingredient on a protein supplement label. Some companies will add enough to get it on the label in an attempt to make their product look better. A second issue is that unless you are very ill (hospitalized and on venous drip) or you have a very challenged digestive system, there will be little benefit to this more expensive version. Rapid absorption might be of value to rapid recovery during a long power lifting competition.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTheBuckeT21
    I'm takin nutrition in school and my teacher said something the other day about how water is used in the breakdown of aminos in protein so drinking a glass of water after a protein shake may help for more to be absorbed or something.. I'll double check on what he was saying next week

Water is need to flush excess nitrogen from protein digestion. He could have been speaking of that.

Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    Was wondering if anybody had a link to some medical articles on protein absorption. I know there have been a few threads on this, and I've read that one can only absorb ~30gms a sitting. I would think not everybody could be categorized into one category (120lb female vs 220lb BBer), however I was looking for studies.

I'm taking a Human Nutrition class and they are putting the RDA of protein at around 65gms, and an upper level of around 130. I'm sure most of you including myself get at least double that. I'm all natural so my intake would be different from somebody who's on AAS, but I'm wondering why people would consume so much in one sitting if you can only absorb ~30-40. Anyway, studies on this would be appreciated.

The answer is, no one knows. Far too many variables involved to even to determine how much protein one can digest in a sitting. Its just simply impossible to find out. As far as I know, no studies have been conducted on this either.

I know it's an open ended question. I guess I was trying to figure out how much to aim for each meal. I felt like anything over 40 was a waste or could be stored as fat.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    i lay around the 40-50g mark for my meals...

yeah bro ur thinkning of denaturing polypeptides which is done by stomache acid.

not breaking them down. infact when your body reconstructs polypeptides for various uses in the body from antyhing from tissues to enzymes it will actually expell a single H2O molecule for the joining of each peptide. eh take it how u want it

I know it's an open ended question. I guess I was trying to figure out how much to aim for each meal. I felt like anything over 40 was a waste or could be stored as fat.
    trust me bro my formula is SPOT on

LAGMuXle is offline Member
    There is no way to prove how much a person can "use"/"digest"/"utilize" at one sitting or in one meal. As Giantz said, there are far too many variables.

However, I think it's fair to say that you will display some sides of eating too much protein. And this will vary from person to person, but any type of noticeable stomach pains, nausea, or loose bowels, then you may consider the protein intake to be the source. This goes for just about anything in the same respect... too many fats, too many carbs, too many burgers at McDonald's. Eventually you will just be able to tell that your body can't take in any more in one sitting.

As far as protein being stored as fat - I personally think that's bullshit. Giantz posted the breakdown on carbs not long ago - how they cannot be stored as fats as easily as everyone thinks. I believe the same properties relate to protein digestion and utilization.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGMuXle
    There is no way to prove how much a person can "use"/"digest"/"utilize" at one sitting or in one meal. As Giantz said, there are far too many variables.

However, I think it's fair to say that you will display some sides of eating too much protein. And this will vary from person to person, but any type of noticeable stomach pains, nausea, or loose bowels, then you may consider the protein intake to be the source. This goes for just about anything in the same respect... too many fats, too many carbs, too many burgers at McDonald's. Eventually you will just be able to tell that your body can't take in any more in one sitting.

As far as protein being stored as fat - I personally think that's bullshit. Giantz posted the breakdown on carbs not long ago - how they cannot be stored as fats as easily as everyone thinks. I believe the same properties relate to protein digestion and utilization.

Just my opinion.
    bro they can be stored it is a difficult task for the body to do but it KAN and it WILL i assure you and the deamination of the protein/peptides is NOT good for the body

LAGMuXle is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    bro they can be stored it is a difficult task for the body to do but it KAN and it WILL i assure you and the deamination of the protein/peptides is NOT good for the body

I know they "can" be, but it is difficult for the body to do so.

In theory, isn't it more probable that your body would expend excess protein intake as waste?

Also, in theory, isn't it more probable that your body would rather use your protein as energy, rather than storing it?

Hey Tai - if you get a chance - could you point me in a good direction for nutritional sources online that you use - I looked around on Pub Med, which seemed informative... any others? Thanks.
    Last edited by LAGMuXle; 02-27-2006 at 09:48 AM.

I know they "can" be, but it is difficult for the body to do so.

In theory, isn't it more probable that your body would expend excess protein intake as waste?

Also, in theory, isn't it more probable that your body would rather use your protein as energy, rather than storing it?

Hey Tai - if you get a chance - could you point me in a good direction for nutritional sources online that you use - I looked around on Pub Med, which seemed informative... any others? Thanks.

You are correct in much of your assumptions. While Tai is correct Protein can be stored as fat. It is the least likely macro do do so. It is a energy costly and lengthy process to do so.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    isnt it feasable that we "train" our bodies to tolerate and therefore use more protein?? I mean if you can build an alchohol, drug, medicine, and even immune tolerance, why not a protein tolerance? Id like to think that my body uses the protein i ingest "better" now then it did when i first started working out and adding large amounts of protein to my diet.

Great comments bros!

Tai- ur formula has me at roughly 60gms a meal (5 meals). I'm gonna increase my intake a bit and pay closer attention to how my body reacts.

Grant is offline Member
    We have thrown this question around a million times ever since I joined here. Never was a definitive answer. Same thing was IGF-never came to a conclusion what is was best mixed with, dosage, rest interval..etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    We have thrown this question around a million times ever since I joined here. Never was a definitive answer. Same thing was IGF-never came to a conclusion what is was best mixed with, dosage, rest interval..etc.

Grant is offline Member

what's so confusing?

Wasn't sure how it was contributing

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member

Just my opinion.

do u have a link for that please Bud ?

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    bump for that article too...

There was no artcle, just basic nutrition and carbohydrate metabolism.

Thread Information