bobstar is offline New Member

101 dumb questions!!!!!!!!!!

I am trying to sort out my diet in order to loose bf currently around 18-20% and try not to loose muscle!!!!! I have read all the stickys but i still need some answers for my diet im not going to ask you guys to design one for me as i can do that myself but help me out on a few things im unclear of.
    my stats 5'10, age 26, 6 years training, bf 18-20%. going to do cardio 3 times a week 70% of mhr. worked out my daily calorie maintenance which is 3000cal.

1)blood sugar levels are the sugar taken from carbs and kept in your blood stream until a insulin spike is required? right or wrong?how should you control your blood sugar levels?

2)a insulin spike is good right? but a too high spike is bad, what causes a high spike.

3)what are glycogen, glycemic carbs, GI, MARCOs,

4)i want to enjoy my food i love curry and thai food can i still eat what i love but change the veg oil for olive oil and stir fry everything? or is that a no no.

5)what happens if just cant resist a pack of m&ms during a diet day, im guessing that that will give you a bad insulin spike?

6)i have worked out that i need 3000cal/day to maintain what i already got (fat and muscle) so in order to burn fat i need to reduce that to 2500cal/day
    but what happens when i turn up at the gym at 9pm after having 6 meals and using up all my cals for that day what will my body burn muscle or fat?

7)thats all for now i know that they are dumb questions and most of the answers are out there, i have found them but i just some more info from you guys. sorry to be a pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101 dumb questions!!!!!!!!!!-pic2.jpg  

BigHuman is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobstar
    I am trying to sort out my diet in order to loose bf currently around 18-20% and try not to loose muscle!!!!! I have read all the stickys but i still need some answers for my diet im not going to ask you guys to design one for me as i can do that myself but help me out on a few things im unclear of.
    my stats 5'10, age 26, 6 years training, bf 18-20%. going to do cardio 3 times a week 70% of mhr. worked out my daily calorie maintenance which is 3000cal.

1)blood sugar levels are the sugar taken from carbs and kept in your blood stream until a insulin spike is required? right or wrong?how should you control your blood sugar levels?

2)a insulin spike is good right? but a too high spike is bad, what causes a high spike.

4)i want to enjoy my food i love curry and thai food can i still eat what i love but change the veg oil for olive oil and stir fry everything? or is that a no no.

5)what happens if just cant resist a pack of m&ms during a diet day, im guessing that that will give you a bad insulin spike?

6)i have worked out that i need 3000cal/day to maintain what i already got (fat and muscle) so in order to burn fat i need to reduce that to 2500cal/day
    but what happens when i turn up at the gym at 9pm after having 6 meals and using up all my cals for that day what will my body burn muscle or fat?

7)thats all for now i know that they are dumb questions and most of the answers are out there, i have found them but i just some more info from you guys. sorry to be a pain.
    Mate the best advice I can give you is eat very clean 6 days a week and have one cheat day.

It depends on how much you want it. How dedicated you are, can you cope with eating same same day after day, can you cope with eating chicken,chicken and even more chicken.

My diet which has got me to the size I am today, has never really changed for two years now, 6 days strict one cheat day
    6 egg whites breakfast, 100g oats with fruit

protein shake

Train

Protein shake

2 Chicken breasts grilled on george foreman lean grilling machine, brown rice,broccli or spinach

Tuna,whole wheat pasts, Broccli

Bowel of organic musli with seeds and nuts, this bowel gives me my healthy fats as I eat very little fat so need good healthy ones.

2 Chicken Breasts grilled on lean machine, Sweet potato,broccli or spinach

Last meal is normaly tuna omelte made with 5 white eggs.

I eat small meals every 2-3 hours, only change is chicken for turkey when i get bored of chicken. and carbs always, wholemeal bread,wholewheat pasts,wholewheat rice, sweet potato.
    Healthy fats, pumpkins seeds,sunflower seeds,almond.

My cheat day I always look forward to, will eat a nice chinese/thai/indian/pizza something like that. I dont go crazy but still eat more normal food that day, other six days I never stray off the diet
    Now ive done this for two years, and it now comes second nature, not even like a diet for me, its just like what I eat, I never eat chocolate,junk anything,fizzy drinks
    All I drink is water, I dont even drink alchoal

Now I know this is hardcore, and not for everyone, but something like this
    will give you the best results.
    Just to back up these comments here is picutre of me. two years ago I was very skinny, it took two years of this diet, training,gear to get me to where I am today.

Anyway hope some of this helps you,
    Never give up man! Take it easy

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Blood sugar levels are just the level of glucose present in the blood. You need a certain level of glucose to even live. If it drops to low you get braindamage. Its the constant supply of energy for all organs. Your brain for instance needs glucose all the time.

You controll it by eating low gi foods.

Insulin spike is basicly never good. Its prohibits fatburning. Insulin is a anabolic hormone but small amounts are enough so there is never any need to spike insulin(unless you mean injecting insulin, in that case the insulin levels become so high that you get effects you would never get naturaly).

Insulin is released as a response to blood glucose. If you spike blood glucose you spike insulin.

Glycogen is the form that the body stores carbs in the muscles.
    Never heard the term glycemic carbs.
    GI is glycemic index. It is a measure of how fast the carbs you eat hit the bloodstream. In general high gi=>high insulin. There are some cases when low gi also casue high insulin rlease. Always try to eat as low GI food as possible to keep blood glucose stable.
    Macro is short for macronutrients. Carbohydrates, protein and fat is the 3 macronutrients. Micronutrients are the vitamins, minerals ect.

Depends on what you love there isnt anything particulary wrong about frying food as long as you fry in a fat that doesnt break down easily when heated. Go with either olive oil or butter. The rule of thumb is not to combine high gi carbs with fat. But there is nothing wrong with a meal high in fat without carbs.

Yeah it spikes insulin, blunts fat burning ect. Have a planned cheat once a week to avoid such things happening

I dont quite understand the question

But it doesnt realy matter if you workout in the morning or evening. Protein synthesis(the rate of protein beeing "built" in the body, i.e muscle building) peaks 24 hours after a workout. So what you eat the day after a workout is most important. Also what you eat before the imidietly before the workout is important.

You should not however do a workout and then go to bed without eating. Always have a meal after your workout. You need a bit of carbs to blunt the catabolic hormones released.

if you are in a calorie deficient state your body will burn predominantly fat since it seldomly scavange protein from muscle as a energy source.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I'd say Johan pretty much hit them all. Browse this forum a bit more to get the unclear details. I knew very little before I joined this board. Spent most of my time in this forum and learned a lot. Good luck bro, you've got a ton of muscle. You'll look great once you drop the bodyfat.

bobstar is offline New Member

thank you

cheers! guys

Thread Information