Thread: PWO carbs

Big Gulps, Huh? is offline Associate Member

PWO carbs

I've noticed that some people are all for the dextrose in a PWO shake and some are against it. I've been doing it for the last month, and i think i'm going to have to join the crowd who's against it. I dont think its doing a whole lot of good for me.

So my question is....what is a better alternative for PWO nutrition needs?
    Also....there was a post on here that had a file you could download that was a spreadsheet you could plug all your info into and it would tell you how many grams of pro/carbs/fat you need for the day to either cut or bulk. Ive searched and cant find it. does anyone know what i;m talking about?

I've also been reading up on Waxy Maize Starch. Does anyone have any experience with it for PWO shakes? Would that be a good replacement for dextrose?

Thanks guys

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gulps, Huh?
    I've also been reading up on Waxy Maize Starch. Does anyone have any experience with it for PWO shakes? Would that be a good replacement for dextrose?

Thanks guys
    I just got my Waxy Maize in the mail and have been taking it PWO for about 2 weeks. It doesnt taste the best, but it keeps you full for a long time.

You can add different flavors in it if you go through trueprotein.com. Good stuff.

516 is offline New Member
    another option is putting fruit in your shake or a blend of dextrose maltodextrin and fruit. i feel that when i use dextrose pwo i get a lethargic feeling later in the day.
    also theres one guy at my gym who swears by just drinking 40g of whey waiting a half hour and then eating a full meal with a ton of carbs, i dont have much experience with this method but the guy is a monster.

JJP480 is offline Associate Member
    Waxy Maize has been an excellent addition to my PWO nutrition. I throw it in with my protien powder.
    I eat a well rounded " real " meal about an hour later.

Quote Originally Posted by JJP480
    I eat a well rounded " real " meal about an hour later.
    This is what I have been told to do. A friend of mine said that instead of just doing AM cardio on an empty stomach, he will do his full workout for and hour and then do 30 minutes of cardio all in the AM on an empty stomach. He said that this has been the best for him. But after that he just has protein immediately afterwards and than an hour later will eat a meal.

But what is considered a real meal? Protein and Fat, or Protein and Carbs?

Zanelike is offline Associate Member
    Its best to have some sort of fast absorbing CHO in your PWO meal. The reason that a lot of people use dextrose is that it is absorbed quickly and helps restore glycogen stores that were lost doing your heavy work out. Plus, it will help with faster absorption of the protein as well. Your PWO meal is intended to take advantage of the slightly higher anabolic state that you see post-workout, not to mention ward off catabolism. If you don't like using dextrose, you can use maltodextrin, waxy maize starch, or grind up a cup of oats in a coffee grinder and add that. "Real meal" is referring to whole foods, you'll want another pro/CHO meal then.

So if I do an AM workout and 30 minutes of cardio following that on an empty stomach, then have my PWO drink....how many grams of carbs, in either dextrose or waxy maize starch format, should i consume IF my next meal an hour later should have carbs as well? And what type of carb should i have? oats?

I usually have a PWO shake of 40g whey and 80g dextrose. In the PPWO meal oats would be good since you workout in the morning, but you could also use brown rice, whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes, any slow digesting CHO.

So then after the PWO shake and the PPWO meal, when else would i have my carbs? It seems like everyone has then in the morning and after their workout.

To me it makes sense to say .......ok I need 3000 calories per day to cut.... x% from protein, x% from carbs, and x% from fat and then take those totals for the day and divide them amongst 6 meals. But after looking at my peoples diets they have posted, it isnt done that way.

Any help is appreciated. Its just that the more research i do the more confused i get so i will take all the help and advice i can get.

BUMP!!! For some much needed help

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    To me it makes sense to say .......ok I need 3000 calories per day to cut.... x% from protein, x% from carbs, and x% from fat and then take those totals for the day and divide them amongst 6 meals. But after looking at my peoples diets they have posted, it isnt done that way.

Any help is appreciated. Its just that the more research i do the more confused i get so i will take all the help and advice i can get.

The most important criteria as far as your macros are concerned is that you fulfill them secondary to that, IMO, is when exactly you consume them. For me most important I like having them is Breakfast, Pre and PWO. Nonetheless if my body needs carbs I wouldnt hesitate consuming them before bed. Ideally Id like it to be PRO/FAT.

So what if im doing AM workouts followed by 30 minutes of cardio? That means that after the PWO meal and the PPWO meal the rest of the day would be just pro/fat meals?

Or is a diet much easier to set up around doing just AM cardio and the afternoon or PM workouts?

Also.....based on the daily caloric intake calculators, i downloaded one from this site, it says that i need 2961 calories per day. If this is the case, what percentages do i break it down into? the chart uses 50% protein, 35% fat, 15 % carbs. Does that seem low for carbs? Its like 115 grams or close to that and some people are recommending up to 200 grams per day.

This is why the more i research the more i get conflicting ideas and the more confused i get.

Please help.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Also.....based on the daily caloric intake calculators, i downloaded one from this site, it says that i need 2961 calories per day. If this is the case, what percentages do i break it down into? the chart uses 50% protein, 35% fat, 15 % carbs. Does that seem low for carbs? Its like 115 grams or close to that and some people are recommending up to 200 grams per day.

This is why the more i research the more i get conflicting ideas and the more confused i get.

Please help.
    If you need 2961Cals and lets say 250Pro, 220Carb and 80Fat(just some fictitious numbers) then yes i would divide them by 6 and I would aim as having the last meal as PRO/FAT if possible. Again the important element is fulfilling the daily required nutrients over the timing of consumptions, so as long as they are spread throughout the day you'll be ok.

Your fat requirements depends on your stats but 200 seems like a lot, I think around the 150s seems more reasonable. In any case stick with a plan and re-evaluate for yourself, then re-adjust. What works for one may not work for another

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish I would say you're better off with a 40 40 20 split pro CHO fat if you're trying to bulk. If you're trying to cut then you may want to drop the CHO down to say 30 and increase fat to 30

I'm going to be cutting. I want to get to around 7-8%.

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    you can use a 40 40 20 split and have carbs through out the day.. a steady stream.. 24 hour nutrition

posted by Nark- See Nark's notes

The key being unsaturated fats...and EFAs

I believe in 24-hour nutrition..and i practise this on my clients and myself.

The theory hypothesizes that small pulsatile releases of insulin tru-out the day
    will keep you leaner than large spikes in blood glucose.

carbs and unsaturated fats are mixed because protein plus low/mid-GI carbs
    plus EFAs results in greater sateity than pro + carbs or fat + pro.
    The addition of essnetial fats also reduce the 'spike' in BG... and
    blunts the absorbtion of carbs (re: delayed gastric emptying)...so your
    blood glucose levels are steadier.
    (pg 242 Corey N S)

that would mean that on a 3000 calorie per day diet, i would be consuming 300 grams of both protein and carbs and only 67 grams of fat. It looks like most people are much lower than that on their daily intake of carbs, usually around 150.

Will i be able to cut taking in that many carbs?

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    at 300 i doubt it... when i suggested 40 40 20 it means of your calorie alotment for cutting 40% of carbs and protein 20 from

example 2000cals 40% is protein..

As long as you are running a calorie deficit you will lose weight. I find with higher CHO levels I can still lose bodyfat but I tend to hold more water which makes me look softer

Thread Information